Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

I have contacted the Chinese guy that got his 980M to work on the Alienware 17.

It was a GTX 980M sold by Eurocom, Clevo vbios, I guess.

So are you guys sure you did everything like you should do when you tried 980M with AW17?

Ah nice. You got good connections, brother.[emoji38]

I have contacted the Chinese guy that got his 980M to work on the Alienware 17.

It was a GTX 980M sold by Eurocom, Clevo vbios, I guess.

So are you guys sure you did everything like you should do when you tried 980M with AW17?

If someone succeeded, he must have succeeded with OPTIMUS.

I succeeded with OPTIMUS too.

If someone succeeded with 3D alienware or SLI, he must be lying.

Even EUROCOM has failed to work m18x with 980m.

Follow my posts, I have an email from EUROCOM.

Then it should work on the M17x R4 correct? It uses MUXless switching, which is optimus capable.

Alienware 17 doesnt have Optimus.

You either make an electrical connection to the dGPU or you disconnect it with the MUX.

If it works with dGPU enabled it will work with dGPU disabled too. The vbios shouldnt have anything to do with the MUX and the F5+FN function.

The chinese guy got his Alienware 17 to work with 980M

Hey Paolo11, I have a Alienware alw18 & was going to buy the gtx 980m x2. Then I read that godfafa bought one & it doesn't work 'cause of the OPTIMUS is not supported in the vbios. There are two different Alienware 18s the (m18x) & the newests model the (alw18). Well, if anyone could help does the gtx 980m work in the new Alienware alw18 or not?

Alienware 17 doesnt have Optimus.

You either make an electrical connection to the dGPU or you disconnect it with the MUX.

If it works with dGPU enabled it will work with dGPU disabled too. The vbios shouldnt have anything to do with the MUX and the F5+FN function.

The chinese guy got his Alienware 17 to work with 980M

Do you know who the chinese guy is?

Man .. he is well-known liar.

Please follow my threads. He was banned from TI from doing something man.

Alienware 17 has optimus. It is muxed and it can run both optimus and without it.

I have tested three 980m in multiple alienwares.

Please trust me man. If you dont want to. Go buy one for yourself.

And let's see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

And here we have it.

Alienware 17 confirmed to work with GTX 980M :thumbsup:

Yeah you are right.

And as I told you they did with OPTIMUS.

0:53 of the video.

OKay?

- - - Updated - - -

post-13289-14494998682533_thumb.jpg

This is called OPTIMUS.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't believe I am doing this man. I kept saying it works with optimus.

What did you see?

Do you know who the chinese guy is?

Man .. he is well-known liar.

Please follow my threads. He was banned from TI from doing something man.

Alienware 17 has optimus. It is muxed and it can run both optimus and without it.

I have tested three 980m in multiple alienwares.

Please trust me man. If you dont want to. Go buy one for yourself.

And let's see what happens.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah you are right.

And as I told you they did with OPTIMUS.

0:53 of the video.

OKay?

Then AW17 is different than my AW18.

My AW18 only listed the dGPU OR the IGP. No Optimus. But of course, it was SLI. The video above list both, so that is with MUX switched to dGPU then or with Optimus enabled?

Hopefully with MUX function working. If MUX doesnt work, they have forced a Clevo vbios to work. But like I said earlier, the vbios shouldnt interfere or impact the MUX function, so MUX switching should work I hope

Then AW17 is different than my AW18.

My AW18 only listed the dGPU OR the IGP. No Optimus. But of course, it was SLI. The video above list both, so that is with MUX switched to dGPU then or with Optimus enabled?

Hopefully with MUX function working. If MUX doesnt work, they have forced a Clevo vbios to work. But like I said earlier, the vbios shouldnt interfere or impact the MUX function, so MUX switching should work I hope

yes exactly.

I've said it several times.

It works only with optimus.

which means it wont work with 3D alienware and 18AW (=SLI).

And if you know what optimus is, you wont want to use it.

It annoys people like us who is used to non-optimus or dGPU only.

I've asked Eurocom whether MUX function still works or not.

They said they will release guide on how to get the 980M to work on the AW17 in the video.

Let's leave it at that. I still dont believe a Clevo vbios with Optimus will interfere with AW17 with MUX. Worst case is that you get Optimus while dGPU is enabled, while just IGP when dGPU is disabled.

AW18 may even work exactly like it should with no Optimus when dGPU is enabled since Optimus doesn't work with SLI. And just IGP when dGPU is disabled.

That will be good enough for most people while they wait to Dell vbios without Optimus.

I've asked Eurocom whether MUX function still works or not.

They said they will release guide on how to get the 980M to work on the AW17 in the video.

Let's leave it at that. I still dont believe a Clevo vbios with Optimus will interfere with AW17 with MUX. Worst case is that you get Optimus while dGPU is enabled, while just IGP when dGPU is disabled.

AW18 may even work exactly like it should with no Optimus when dGPU is enabled since Optimus doesn't work with SLI. And just IGP when dGPU is disabled.

That will be good enough for most people while they wait to Dell vbios without Optimus.

You dont belive what??

Optimus with mux? what the heck is that?

I dont think you understand.

When optimus is on, it works perfectly.

When optimus is off, ie iGP off and dGPU on, it doesn't.

It is simple as this.

I dont understand why you keep saying "dont believe".

It's very rude to say "i dont believe that this" when you didn't even experienced 'that and this'

if you want to keep saying you dont beleive that, proove it man.

Not just speak.

ps. AW18 doens't work with clevo vbios currently.

I've tested it. Dont guess. Do tests.

MUX is there in AW18/AW17 to either

1. GPUs enabled, IGP disabled. No optimus

2. GPUs disabled, IGP enabled. No optimus

With this vbios from Eurocom it have now changed to:

1. GPU enabled. IGP enabled. Optimus.

2. GPU disabled, IGP enabled. No Optimus

The only thing MUX does is switch between function "1." and "2."

The only reason I wonder if MUX work or not with this new update from Eurocom is if function "2." would work since the vbios have Optimus function but MUX have disabled the GPU. What then? Will it crash because it cant find a dedicated GPU or will it just use the IGP anyway and stick with it?

If it crash MUX doesnt work with Eurocom's vbios and we will need a Dell vbios to remove Optimus from AW17 with 980M to make MUX work again. We will also need this Dell vbios for AW18 with GTX 980M SLI since the vbios from Eurocom contains Optimus but SLI doesnt work with Optimus.

The only reason I wonder if MUX work or not with this new update from Eurocom is if function "2." would work since the vbios have Optimus function but MUX have disabled the GPU. What then? Will it crash because it cant find a dedicated GPU or will it just use the IGP anyway and stick with it?

If it crash MUX doesnt work with Eurocom's vbios and we will need a Dell vbios to remove Optimus from AW17 with 980M to make MUX work again. We will also need this Dell vbios for AW18 with GTX 980M SLI since the vbios from Eurocom contains Optimus but SLI doesnt work with Optimus.

I don't think you understand what a MUX is and you're treating it as if it's some entity in itself. It's not. A MUX is just an input select. AW laptops have the option of having displays driven by the primary dGPU, or the iGPU. What the MUX does is let you decide between what input to the MUX is sent to the display(s). When you set the MUX to send the dGPU output to the display it's as if the iGPU never even existed in the laptop and it is powered off.

All optimus means is that both the iGPU and dGPU are powered on, with the MUX set to send the iGPU output to displays. Optimus is just a label for this combination of settings. Removing optimus functionality would change absolutely nothing except get rid of the only display mode that works for the 980m on AW systems.

• Thumbs Up 1

I also think you dont understand what mux chip does.

And moreover, this is not correct. For AW18 with sli, you are right.

But for AW17, it's different.

2. GPUs enabled, IGP enabled. YES optimus.

Without unlocked bios, AW17 only can swith 1 <-> 2 now.

For m17x R4 with unlocked bios by svl7,

1. GPUs disabled, IGP enabled. No optimus

2. GPUs enabled, IGP enabled. Yes optimus

3. GPUs enabled, IGP disabled. No optimus

4. GPUs disabled, IGP disabled. No screen :(

MUX is not what you think.

It does not work as a swtich. Fn+F5 or F7 works as a switch. It's just pre-made by dell for us.

I don't think you understand what a MUX

and you're treating it as if it's some entity in itself. It's not. A MUX is just an input select. AW laptops have the option of having displays driven by the primary dGPU, or the iGPU. What the MUX does is let you decide between what input to the MUX is sent to the display(s). When you set the MUX to send the dGPU output to the display it's as if the iGPU never even existed in the laptop and it is powered off.

All optimus means is that both the iGPU and dGPU are powered on, with the MUX set to send the iGPU output to displays. Optimus is just a label for this combination of settings. Removing optimus functionality would change absolutely nothing except get rid of the only display mode that works for the 980m on AW systems.

Why are you repeating what I just said? :D

I just said that MUX switch between IGP or GPU manually instead of Optimus doing it automatically.

I also said I did not know if MUX works or not since both IGP and GPU are both enabled= optimus mode.

They are clearly using a Clevo vbios with Optimus, getting that functionality to the AW17.

MUX is not an entity? Then why are you able to shut down the IGP and use the GPU? With Optimus you have the wiring dGPU-IGP-display.

With non Optimus systems with MUX you have both the IGP and the GPU wired to the display (through the MUX I thought, but if MUX is not an entity its just a commander where IGP and dGPU are both connected separately to the display) hence can shift back and forth between them.

@svl7 @Prema

Is it possible to erase optimus function in the 980m vbios?

I remember there was a vbios without optimus for 680m and no enduro for 7970m which were used for old 150em or hm (I can't remember).

If it is possible would it allow alienware users to use it as simple dGPU?

@svl7 @Prema

Is it possible to erase optimus function in the 980m vbios?

I remember there was a vbios without optimus for 680m and no enduro for 7970m which were used for old 150em or hm (I can't remember).

If it is possible would it allow alienware users to use it as simple dGPU?

I have run a non-enduro vbios on my 7970m despite my laptop not having dgpu display output, and the card ran 100% normally, even shutting down when idle. All a non-endro vbios does is disable the check for an igpu. Egpu users for years have used optimus on cards with zero bios support for it, and the cards would send their frame buffer over the pci-e to the igpu just like a modern optimus system.

The issue likely is vbios related, but I think you're looking in the wrong direction.

I have run a non-enduro vbios on my 7970m despite my laptop not having dgpu display output, and the card ran 100% normally, even shutting down when idle. All a non-endro vbios does is disable the check for an igpu. Egpu users for years have used optimus on cards with zero bios support for it, and the cards would send their frame buffer over the pci-e to the igpu just like a modern optimus system.

The issue likely is vbios related, but I think you're looking in the wrong direction.

I see.

I hope this issue can be fixed. And be fixed soon. :(