Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Throttling @799 vram.

NV Inspector "P1" set vram @2505 leave everything else stock. Run FS

Edit: [MENTION=2750]Miguel Maroto Madrid[/MENTION] "P1" only - set core @1126 - vram @2505

As you said only vram matching that is what I did (no diferences between core P1 @ 540 or @ 1126):

That was close...:77:

Thanks man, try disabling SLI set Nv Inspector.

P0

+@135

@400

P1

@1262

@2905

So now both core & memory run stock under SLI, memory drops to @2505. Installing v344.75 will probably restore vram ocing. Disabling SLI enables core & memory ocing...?

Yesterday vram overclocking was working fine, no drops. Worst case scenario @1126/2505 (SLI), no throttling at stock frequencies..

Worst case scenario @1126/2505 (SLI), no throttling at stock frequencies >vram P-states matched<

Disabling SLI restores core & memory ocing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worst case scenario @1126/2505 (SLI), no throttling at stock frequencies >vram P-states matched<

Disabling SLI restores core & memory ocing.

We have to talk to somebody who can edit for us or for anyone with a M18X-R2 + SLI 980M a vbios with P1 state hardcoded with higher clocks & voltage. I think higher P1 clocks will give us more overclocking headroom.

So, I guess for the moment that's it right? Not bad at all :D

Quite impressive your mods ;)

[MENTION=2750]Miguel Maroto Madrid[/MENTION] No problem, PM him.

Try flashing svl7/johnksss vbios.

Stock @1202 / 1.0v some cards won't hold this, run valley and start increasing v offset if necessary. Accurate values or it will fail, no v headroom stuff.

If it holds @1202 Stock 1.0v:

"P1"

Core @1202

vram @2505

>Increased v , e.g. + 37.5mV <

"P1"

Core @1126

Vram @2505

From all of the testing results, it looks to me like the best outcome so far is with @Prema vBIOS v1.1 and @J95 350.12 driver mod. At least it was holding stock clocks in P1 throttle state, which is far better than what could be achieved before. This is a major improvement even though it is not perfect.

It is worth trying the @slv7 / @johnksss vBIOS also, for sure. When I was still trying to get 980M SLI to work correctly, more aggressive vBIOS settings with any vBIOS mod actually degraded performance compared to running a stock vBIOS. It might not happen with @J95's 350.12 driver mod now, so please do give it a shot. But, don't be too surprised if that vBIOS or a new mod with hard-coded P1 clocks and voltage causes a drop in performance or severe throttling. I think the problem is possible as much or more of a system BIOS and driver problem than it is a vBIOS issue.

@Miguel Maroto Madrid No problem, PM him.

Try flashing svl7/johnksss vbios.

Stock @1202 / 1.0v some cards won't hold this, run valley and start increasing v offset if necessary. Accurate values or it will fail, no v headroom stuff.

If it holds @1202 Stock 1.0v:

"P1"

Core @1202

vram @2505

>Increased v , e.g. + 37.5mV <

"P1"

Core @1126

Vram @2505

From all of the testing results, it looks to me like the best outcome so far is with @Prema vBIOS v1.1 and @J95 350.12 driver mod. At least it was holding stock clocks in P1 throttle state, which is far better than what could be achieved before. This is a major improvement even though it is not perfect.

It is worth trying the @slv7 / @johnksss vBIOS also, for sure. When I was still trying to get 980M SLI to work correctly, more aggressive vBIOS settings with any vBIOS mod actually degraded performance compared to running a stock vBIOS. It might not happen with @J95's 350.12 driver mod now, so please do give it a shot. But, don't be too surprised if that vBIOS or a new mod with hard-coded P1 clocks and voltage causes a drop in performance or severe throttling. I think the problem is possible as much or more of a system BIOS and driver problem than it is a vBIOS issue.

FULL PURE UEFI NVFLASH WORKING!

Flashed from Prema to svl7 vbios mod in less than a minute both cards from pure UEFI system with this nvflash version:

Official link

NOTICE ABOUT NEW VERSION!! READ THIS!! (v5.218.0.1)

With the newest version of NVFlash landing on us (Thanks topway for letting me know!), you NO LONGER HAVE TO DISABLE YOUR CARD in the device manager. NVFlash will do this on it's own and re-enable it after it has flashed. Also, x86 and x64 versions come separate. So choose the correct one for your OS!!!

(Updated 4/30/2015) NVFLash certificate checks bypassed v5.218.0.1: (Use this one if you just want to mod your own BIOS.)

X64 Download Here

SX5GQ3A.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh cool, I didn't know 218 works better for AW! :)

(I didn't like it for Clevo because they split x86/x64 versions and the "request to reboot time-out" is too brief.)

Anyway no need to rely on other peoples work...

Here the T|I Prema Mod version of nvflash 5.218 incl. bat files (only patches the essential bit and doesn't require an additional confirmation for ID mismatch). ;)

PW: premamod.com

EDIT: BTW, testing a few "vBIOS ideas" with J95...

NVFLASH_WIN_5.218_x64_PM.rar

FULL PURE UEFI NVFLASH WORKING!

Flashed from Prema to svl7 vbios mod in less than a minute both cards from pure UEFI system with this nvflash version:

Official link

NOTICE ABOUT NEW VERSION!! READ THIS!! (v5.218.0.1)

With the newest version of NVFlash landing on us (Thanks topway for letting me know!), you NO LONGER HAVE TO DISABLE YOUR CARD in the device manager. NVFlash will do this on it's own and re-enable it after it has flashed. Also, x86 and x64 versions come separate. So choose the correct one for your OS!!!

(Updated 4/30/2015) NVFLash certificate checks bypassed v5.218.0.1: (Use this one if you just want to mod your own BIOS.)

X64 Download Here

SX5GQ3A.png

"For testing purposes only" then flash back @Prema's MOD...;)

Next: We'll install Win7 PEG UEFI/CSM, "not possible" & "it doesn't work"......;)

a little bit better

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

i am using modded Svl7/johnksss. i have edited it to match stock, increased temp throttling limit, and changed all P1 and P0 freq to 1126mhz and bumbed up the memory clock.

i get around 20000 gpu score in Firestrike.

but what do you mean reset? how to restore OC and OV?

- - - Updated - - -

something weird happens once i put the voltage up in Evga precision. fps drops, but monitoring shows not throttling at all!

i have monitored the process more detailed and it looks like the CPU starts to throttle when i increase clock or voltage of 980m beyond certain limit. when i install Throttlestop it stops CPU throttling, but then my GPU starts throttling back to stock(P1). am i hitting my system TDP limit?

i have monitored the process more detailed and it looks like the CPU starts to throttle when i increase clock or voltage of 980m beyond certain limit. when i install Throttlestop it stops CPU throttling, but then my GPU starts throttling back to stock(P1).

Try this LINK it works perfect single GPU, no throttling at all. So far It doesn't seem to be working w/ M18xR2 SLI. AW18 has not been tested yet. Single PSU?

Re-flashing the cards works too, never shutdown. Rebooting doesn't affect this.

Prema's modded nvflash/UEFI http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-159.html#post131556

- - - Updated - - -

am i hitting my system TDP limit?

• Thumbs Up 1

Try this LINK it works perfect single GPU, no throttling at all. So far It doesn't seem to be working w/ M18xR2 SLI. AW18 has not been tested yet. Single PSU?

-

single PSU, alienware 18 doest have dual psu mod, does it? without sli - no throttling with OC.

wow, thats heavy power consumption, no wonder i get cpu throttling down the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

single PSU, alienware 18 doest have dual psu mod, does it? without sli - no throttling with OC.

wow, thats heavy power consumption, no wonder i get cpu throttling down the way.

Not the AW18, unfortunately. Single GPU works fine then, but not SLI.

Not the AW18, unfortunately. Single GPU works fine then, but not SLI.

well... sli does work fine: stable and solid, unless OC and OV at the same time beyond certain TDP. i have one card installed with 69% ASIC Q, and other with 73.5. i will swap the lower one for another one i have with 75% and will see how far will i get.

still, almost 26000 GPU score is not bad at all!