Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

hXwkltI.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14312[/ATTACH]

You need to disable the sound card 120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode, HDMI or USB solution instead.

Win7/GPT - UEFI/Legacy option ROM

nRnfogP.png

Win7/MBR - Legacy BIOS Mode.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14313[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

February 13th, my card finally arrived...

- Clock-block *workaround* ✓

- 120Hz/PEG nvflash'ing ✓

- Win7 both UEFI & Legacy ✓

- PEG throttling ✓

- OCing "" "" *soon*...

- OCing Throttling Fixed ✓...;)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M17xR4

8jl9pSnh.png

Nailed it, finally...similar to my previous fix 'P0/P1 settings @1127 Boost clock' February, but without the need to reset the card/nvlddmkm.sys (BCLK) each time I want to OC. Increased stock voltage/FW 1.062v - 1.068v, possible thanks to @Prema's latest vBIOS MOD (v1.1), P1 switching is fully removed 'Gaming & OCing' using stock .INF v350.12. This will work fine with svl7's vBIOS too, >once updated< matching nvlddmkm.sys + settings...;)

BTW I flashed Prema's vbios using a Portable win7 installation (e-sata), full legacy BIOS/MBR...without messing up UEFI/EFI boot loader files (triple-boot/win7 CSM)...PEG impossible...;)120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode

I have been using this fix since February, slightly different settings. I tried PMing some trusted users but they have already given up...welcome back!:hell_boy:

Firstly flash @Prema's (consider donating) -> latest vBIOS MOD v1.1 PEG & 120Hz follow this
  • GeForce 350.12 WHQL -> Install using nv_dispi.inf below (disable driver signing).
  • NV Inspector -> Match P0/P1 >stock frequencies first< -> Run Valley Benchmark...it's all about finding the highest stable clocks using 1.068v/stock, finally update settings. Don't mess w/ voltage offset including undervolting >normal use/gaming<
  • OCing beyond 1.068v, first reset the card -> BIOS -> OC Options -> BCLK just re-apply current settings -> "apply settings immediately" -> "apply settings permanently after reboot" -> F10 -> auto-shutdown -> done. *New Trick*...;) Again, Match P0/P1 and set the proper voltage offset. *Issues/TDRs* -> reset the card, 'P0' apply max stable clocks + increased v. offset respectively, 'P1' set max stable frequencies from >previous step '1.068v OCing'< instead.
  • Enjoy!
    26U6cwX.png
    Valley Extreme HD preset @1262/2950

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

nv_dispi.inf_v350.12.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

v350.12 / nvcvi.inf http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-23.html#post129510

- - - Updated - - -

GTA 5 @1202/2808...;)

v350.12

2015-04-18 20:21:19
2015-04-18 20:34:30

Edit: GTA 5 @1202/2907

2015-04-19 08:19:31
2015-04-19 08:45:12

This driver works fine for me with 980M without any kind of mods, but 350.12 with this mod throttles badly on 780M SLI on my M18xR2 even when running the GPUs at stock clock speeds. Going back to my 345.20 mod and the throttling goes away. It behaves at though 350.12 is imposing a clock throttle to reduce power consumption much like what I experienced with 980M SLI. Here's an example showing it throttling at stock clocks with 350.12.

This driver works fine for me with 980M without any kind of mods, but 350.12 with this mod throttles badly on 780M SLI on my M18xR2 even when running the GPUs at stock clock speeds. Going back to my 345.20 mod and the throttling goes away. It behaves at though 350.12 is imposing a clock throttle to reduce power consumption much like what I experienced with 980M SLI. Here's an example showing it throttling at stock clocks with 350.12.

Yep, this driver is optimized for Mobile Maxwell to the detriment of everything else, the same Kepler story...@ Fermi users had to wait for almost a year before something usable was released.

Start a thread and Gather all AW/Clevo Kepler users, every day posting main driver thread & Proper thread/same forum 'Clock-Block'...

Yep, this driver is optimized for Mobile Maxwell to the detriment of everything else, the same Kepler story...@ Fermi users had to wait for almost a year before something usable was released.

Start a thread and Gather all AW/Clevo Kepler users, every day posting main driver thread & Proper thread/same forum 'Clock-Block'...

Yes, I remember that because it affected me for a short time, then I upgraded. Although, now it seems more random. Some 780M users are not having issues with 350.12. Numerous 680M owners are reporting this driver works fine, including SLI. Some Maxwell GPU owners (mobile and desktop) are having problems with it, but others are not. When I modded the NVDMI.INF there was no throttling at stock clocks, only overclock. Using your NV_DISPI.INF mod 780M in my machines throttles stock and when overclocking (as the video demonstrates). Using 345.20, my problems disappear. Those distinct changes in behavior seem to confirm the problem is the fault of NVIDIA's driver, as does the fact that your mod fixes throttling for 980M in Alienware machines. It is NOT OK for NVIDIA to be doing this sort of crap.

It is always good to complain in forums because bad publicity sometimes produces greater accountability for no reason except to avoid more bad press. But, it is also useful to poop on the carpet in the GeForce forums as much as possible and tell them how bad they suck in their own house. NVIDIA has a bad habit of only taking action to fix bad publicity and sweep the dirt under the rug, but they NEVER seem willing to admit their mistakes... they always seem to have a convenient excuse for their mistake and/or bad judgment.

Official NVIDIA 350.12 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 4/13/15)

Yes, I remember that because it affected me for a short time, then I upgraded. Although, now it seems more random. Some 780M users are not having issues with 350.12. Numerous 680M owners are reporting this driver works fine, including SLI. Some Maxwell GPU owners (mobile and desktop) are having problems with it, but others are not. When I modded the NVDMI.INF there was no throttling at stock clocks, only overclock. Using your INF mod 780M in my machines throttles stock and when overclocking (as the video demonstrates). That confirms the problem is the fault of NVIDIA's driver, as does the fact that your mod fixes throttling for 980M in Alienware machines. It is NOT OK for NVIDIA to be doing this sort of crap.

It is always good to complain in forums because bad publicity sometimes produces greater accountability for no reason except to avoid more bad press. But, it is also useful to poop on the carpet in the GeForce forums as much as possible and tell them how bad they suck in their own house. NVIDIA has a bad habit of only taking action to fix bad publicity and sweep the dirt under the rug, but they NEVER seem willing to admit their mistakes... they always seem to have a convenient excuse for their mistake and/or bad judgment.

Official NVIDIA 350.12 WHQL Game Ready Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 4/13/15)

Are there any SLI users without issues? stock vbios/@135 same behavior?

Are there any SLI users without issues? stock vbios/@135 same behavior?

Which GPUs? Kepler or Maxwell? If you are asking about 980M SLI users, I don't know. There are not many upgraded Alienware machines to look at, and fewer with SLI. I think the problems have scared most of the potential upgraders away and they are looking at sticking with what they have or buying another brand. I'm half tempted to pull the 980M cards from my Clevo and test your driver mod in my M18xR2 and Alienware 18, but it's way more hassle and time consuming than I feel like dealing with right now. I'd have to reinstall Windows 8 again and screw up a bunch of stuff on my machine simply to convert back to pure UEFI because of Alienware's screwed up BIOS compatibility problem. NVIDIA just needs to fix their engineering abortion to make things right for everyone... worthless green bastards.

Which GPUs? Kepler or Maxwell? If you are asking about 980M SLI users, I don't know. There are not many upgraded Alienware machines to look at, and fewer with SLI. I think the problems have scared most of the potential upgraders away and they are looking at sticking with what they have or buying another brand. I'm half tempted to pull the 980M cards from my Clevo and test your driver mod in my M18xR2 and Alienware 18, but it's way more hassle and time consuming than I feel like dealing with right now. I'd have to reinstall Windows 8 again and screw up a bunch of stuff on my machine simply to convert back to pure UEFI because of Alienware's screwed up BIOS compatibility problem. NVIDIA just needs to fix their engineering abortion to make things right for everyone... worthless green bastards.

Kepler SLI users...P1 driver mod is not required. This must work for M18xR2 users 120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode + the above fix practically solves it.

Last time I had to wait almost four months until NV finally fixed 780M/120Hz LG blank screen bug, hours messing w/ DLLs .sys finally a 'temporary fix' and two days later 344.80 was released 'bug fixed', not a waste at all...clock-block workaround idea.

Kepler SLI users...P1 driver mod is not required. This must work for M18xR2 users 120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode + the above fix practically solves it.

Last time I had to wait almost four months until NV finally fixed 780M/120Hz LG blank screen bug, hours messing w/ DLLs .sys finally a 'temporary fix' and two days later 344.80 was released 'bug fixed', not a waste at all...clock-block workaround idea.

There are some 780M SLI users that are not overclocking that seem to be OK with 350.12. Not many are commenting. I can only make assumptions due to lack of information, but considering that a normal NVDMI.INF mod works just fine at stock clocks for my 780M machines, or stock 350.12 (no mod needed for my Alienware 18 with 780M factory installed) my assumption is that overclocking is broken for all of them and they have no idea because they are running stock clocks. Single 780M seems to work fine in the Alienware 17 with no overclock throttling, at least for @Papusan it does. I only get throttling at stock clocks using your mod that fixes 980M throttling.

This NVIDIA driver goofiness gives me a headache, LOL. Wake me up after NVIDIA gets their act together. Hopefully, it won't be a story of Rip Van Winkle Redux.

I just Upgraded my AW 17 R5 from Geforce 765M to 970M , and withouy Mr. J95 and the Legend Mr FOX , I wont be able to do that ......

Thank you both for all your support and I really glad that you are both alive ! :P:Banane35:

Side note : I just noticed that I don't have Super dynamic resolution (DSR) in nvidia Control panel ? is it deactivated in laptops? or just because of our Modded Driver ?

• Thumbs Up 1

I just Upgraded my AW 17 R5 from Geforce 765M to 970M , and withouy Mr. J95 and the Legend Mr FOX , I wont be able to do that ......

Thank you both for all your support and I really glad that you are both alive ! :P:Banane35:

Side note : I just noticed that I don't have Super dynamic resolution (DSR) in nvidia Control panel ? is it deactivated in laptops? or just because of our Modded Driver ?

Is not an option yet, NV late...already.

I'm going to make a list to try to simplify as much as I can the whole process:

Feel free to copy the list and edit it if I miss any step.

Flashing process:

1. Get Prema's vbios version 1.1 (Download HERE) (Make a donation to him - HERE).

2. Get @j95's modded drivers (Download HERE) (Make a donation to him - HERE <- need your link @j95 please clear.png).

3. Remove the secondary GPU and turn on the laptop.

4. Change the BIOS to SG mode and UEFI with Legacy Option ROM.

5. Disable the 980M in Device Manager (this is required with Maxwell).

6. Flash the primary GPU, reboot and re-enable the GPU in Device Manager (Be patient, because UEFI with Legacy Option ROM flashing takes a bit longer sometimes).

6.1. After flashing, test or bench if you wish using a USB keyboard.

7. Shut down your laptop. Disconnect all power.

8. Put the secondary GPU in the primary slot.

9. No need to separate the heatsinks.*

10. Disable the GPU in Device Manager (this is required with Maxwell).

11. Flash the secondary GPU, reboot and re-enable the GPU in Device Manager (Be patient, because UEFI with Legacy Option ROM flashing takes a bit longer sometimes).

12. BEFORE REASSEMBLY, put the BIOS back to PEG mode with pure UEFI (no Legacy Option ROM). **

13. Access startup settings. Next, click or tap the Advanced options tile. Select the Startup Settings tile on the Advanced options screen.

13. Reboot into safe mode (option 4)

14. Remove previous drivers with DDU, and access again to startup settings. Next, click or tap the Advanced options tile. Select the Startup Settings tile on the Advanced options screen.

15. On the Startup Settings screen, tap the F7 or 7 key on your keyboard to select the “Disable driver signature enforcement” option.

16. Install GeForce 350.12 WHQL -> Install using nv_dispi.inf from HERE.

17. NV Inspector -> Match P0/P1 stock clocks first -> Run Valley Benchmark then find out how much the card will hold w/ 1.068v , finally update settings. Don't mess w/ voltage offset including undervolting, only when OCing.

18. Do some benchmark (3DMark FireStrike 1.1, 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage...)

*Lay the heat sink radiator on top of the chassis above the VGA/HDMI port. It will make a solid connection in the PCIe slot for flashing. Since there is no air being pushed through the radiator, it will get too hot if you try to use it this way, but it will be fine just for flashing.

**If you forget to do this you will have to remove the secondary GPU or the machine will fail to POST with 8 beeps. Once the BIOS is correctly set, put everything back the way it is supposed to be and you're ready to go.

Note:

The only thing I do not understand is how I am supposed to boot into windows 7. I would like to do all this without having to format my current system. Is it possible that someone share an image (ISO or so) that let me boot up and flash? I hope you understand what I am talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

guys, i am here with Alienware 18 sli. flashed a edited(myself) slv7 bios with extended temp target, lowered TDP for safety and downclocked to stock, and memory OC'd to 2800. can't get beyond 22000 grpahic score in 3d mark11. anyone outhere still with sli to test?

the weird thing is that furmark utilizes my gpu's at 100% and i get 186fps at 1280x720 no MSAA in sli, Valley score 4600 with ultra quality fullhd 4xmsaa, which is proportional to the sli usage of my 880m sli. but 3d mark only utilizes 70-90% of each gpu and i get 120.5fps cap, though no Vsync is on and my screen is 60.

edit: btw, flashed both cards under full UEFI, just had to wait quite long few hours for nvflash to hook.

I'm going to make a list to try to simplify as much as I can the whole process:

Feel free to copy the list and edit it if I miss any step.

Flashing process:

1. Get Prema's vbios version 1.1 (Download HERE) (Make a donation to him - HERE).

2. Get @j95's modded drivers (Download HERE) (Make a donation to him - HERE <- need your link @j95 please clear.png).

3. Remove the secondary GPU and turn on the laptop.

4. Change the BIOS to SG mode and UEFI with Legacy Option ROM.

5. Disable the 980M in Device Manager (this is required with Maxwell).

6. Flash the primary GPU, reboot and re-enable the GPU in Device Manager (Be patient, because UEFI with Legacy Option ROM flashing takes a bit longer sometimes).

6.1. After flashing, test or bench if you wish using a USB keyboard.

7. Shut down your laptop. Disconnect all power.

8. Put the secondary GPU in the primary slot.

9. No need to separate the heatsinks.*

10. Disable the GPU in Device Manager (this is required with Maxwell).

11. Flash the secondary GPU, reboot and re-enable the GPU in Device Manager (Be patient, because UEFI with Legacy Option ROM flashing takes a bit longer sometimes).

12. BEFORE REASSEMBLY, put the BIOS back to PEG mode with pure UEFI (no Legacy Option ROM). **

13. Access startup settings. Next, click or tap the Advanced options tile. Select the Startup Settings tile on the Advanced options screen.

13. Reboot into safe mode (option 4)

14. Remove previous drivers with DDU, and access again to startup settings. Next, click or tap the Advanced options tile. Select the Startup Settings tile on the Advanced options screen.

15. On the Startup Settings screen, tap the F7 or 7 key on your keyboard to select the “Disable driver signature enforcement” option.

16. Install GeForce 350.12 WHQL -> Install using nv_dispi.inf from HERE.

17. NV Inspector -> Match P0/P1 stock clocks first -> Run Valley Benchmark then find out how much the card will hold w/ 1.068v , finally update settings. Don't mess w/ voltage offset including undervolting, only when OCing.

18. Do some benchmark (3DMark FireStrike 1.1, 3DMark 11, 3DMark Vantage...)

*Lay the heat sink radiator on top of the chassis above the VGA/HDMI port. It will make a solid connection in the PCIe slot for flashing. Since there is no air being pushed through the radiator, it will get too hot if you try to use it this way, but it will be fine just for flashing.

**If you forget to do this you will have to remove the secondary GPU or the machine will fail to POST with 8 beeps. Once the BIOS is correctly set, put everything back the way it is supposed to be and you're ready to go.

Note:

The only thing I do not understand is how I am supposed to boot into windows 7. I would like to do all this without having to format my current system. Is it possible that someone share an image (ISO or so) that let me boot up and flash? I hope you understand what I am talking about.

Forget about win7 for the time being, we will cover that later. Win8.1 UEFI/CSM enabled. [MENTION=119]Mr. Fox[/MENTION] M18xR2 settings?

Forget about win7 for the time being, we will cover that later. Win8.1 UEFI/CSM enabled. @Mr. Fox M18xR2 settings?

But how I'm supposed to do the vbios flashing?

Maybe I'm a little confused, but I thought that with full UEFI boot mode I'm not able to flash the GPUs. I managed to make a Win7 USB to do the flashing but I couldn't try it yet.

I'm waiting for all the questions to be covered before starting all the unmounting process.

Maybe I'm a little confused, but I thought that with full UEFI boot mode I'm not able to flash the GPUs. I managed to make a Win7 USB to do the flashing but I couldn't try it yet.

I'm waiting for all the questions to be covered before starting all the unmounting process.

Use your current Win8.1 installation, enable "Legacy Option Rom" instead. We'll find a solution for Win7, it works fine w/ M17xR4/120Hz PEG so will the M18xR2.

@J95 or Mr. Fox. Do either of you know of a solution for nvidia control panel crashing "ONLY" when i try to enter or change "Manage 3d settings"? It's the only tab that causes the control panel to crash.

I am assuming NVCP opens for you and does not crash until you try to change settings. If that is the case, it does that for a lot of people. Just enter the settings tab and wait for about 30 seconds and it should become responsive again and let you change settings. If you try changing settings during the time it is reading "not responding" in the window title bar it will crash.

look a few posts up, i was able to flash 980m sli twice under full Uefi in ALienware 18. anyone with Alienware 980 sli around? or m18x r2?

what i did was, i ve ran the nvlfash and pushed the laptop to sleep over night while nvflash was hanging, in the morning woke it up and waited 2 hours and was greeted by a confirmation screen!

done that 2 times already, 2nd time it was a sleep for 3-4 hours, but still had to wait 2hours before the promt screen. not too convinient, but better than dissasabling and flashing cards one by one i guess.

look a few posts up, i was able to flash 980m sli twice under full Uefi in ALienware 18. anyone with Alienware 980 sli around? or m18x r2?

what i did was, i ve ran the nvlfash and pushed the laptop to sleep over night while nvflash was hanging, in the morning woke it up and waited 2 hours and was greeted by a confirmation screen!

done that 2 times already, 2nd time it was a sleep for 3-4 hours, but still had to wait 2hours before the promt screen. not too convinient, but better than dissasabling and flashing cards one by one i guess.

Hmm, that's extremely valuable information to know since the 18 doesn't have an unlocked BIOS and cannot be set to SG mode like the M18xR2 can. But, wow... that's a very long wait time, LOL. I think I would rather pull the palm rest, flash them one at a time be done with it... much faster if you have an M18xR2. Thank you for sharing that, as it may prove to be priceless for anyone needing to flash an Alienware 18 in pure UEFI mode.

i dont know why, but just can't get over 22000 gpu score with 980m in sli without OC, with +100 i get to 23000, but that's it. i have also noticed that while GPU clock 1126, gpu video clock is still 1026 in hwinfo64. now trying to override that in vbios with hex edit to see if it can run at same freq.

another weird thing is that i get 99% gpu d3d usage, while gpu core load doesnt go more than 80-90%. what is the bottleneck? cpu usage hardly getting to 50-70% max. tried many drivers and mods already

mr. Fox have you ever seeing more than 120,5fps in 3rd mark11? anyone? i saw you scored around 26000 at near stock with 980m, how did you do that?

Here is a problem I see:

H46a67l.png

krvtaUK.png

JTLGhly.png

The Vcore is always dropping from 1.1 (1.068 +37.5mV) to 1.068 (P0 to P1) so the cores can't get enough Voltage to work properly @ +148MHz / + 300MHz (the memory is just fine always working at the same frecuency)

During FireStrike the first 3 seconds or less the core frequency stays where it has to be, but after the Vcore drops to 1.068 the core clock get back to 1126MHz.

• Thumbs Up 1

[MENTION=2750]Miguel Maroto Madrid[/MENTION] first you need to find out the highest possible clocks using stock voltage offset, 1.068v should hold +145 without issues. P1 core matched @1271

Try @1262/2805 P0-P1 matched stock v.

it doesn't matter which clocks I match between P0 and P1 it always comes back to 1126MHz. No throttling down from 1126MHz.

Reset the card then -> BIOS -> OC Options -> "Bus Clock" -> "apply settings immediately" -> "apply settings permanently after reboot" -> F10 -> auto-shutdown -> done.

@1252/2805 P0-P1 matched, stock v.

Then set P0 1252/2805, P1 default/stock settings.