Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

I was told that the 980m works perfectly fine in the AW17, M17x R3 and R4 but apparently not in the M18x R1

I know this is a little off topic (but same gpu)... But What about other brand NB's like MS GT 60 (16f3)/ GT 70 (1762)? does the updated 51x bios reads these new gpus (980/970m)?

I know this is a little off topic (but same gpu)... But What about other brand NB's like MS GT 60 (16f3)/ GT 70 (1762)? does the updated 51x bios reads these new gpus (980/970m)?

Umm, they should be able to, but I'd wait out out a while till MSI gives out the word.

Believe as much as you want, several people here already told you that this is not the case.

Clevo resellers (especially eurocom) are talking a lot of bull when it comes to things like this. I don't believe a single word anymore I hear from eurocom. They're also the company that published a press release a while ago stating full MXM compatibility on their machines, which is not the case AT ALL.

Resellers don't get customized vbios or bios files, all they get is what Clevo provides them, they're just resellers and not manufacturers.

Haven't had a lot of time recently, but I was told that the 980m works perfectly fine in the AW17, M17x R3 and R4 but apparently not in the M18x R1. Don't take my word for it though, but I have no reason to mistrust the guy who told me this.

Might know more from first-hand experience next weekend.

I have tested 980m in AW17, m17x R4, m18x R2.

The results are it does not work in any alienware without optimus.

With optimus it works. Which means 980m does not work on any of 3D alienware or m18x R1/ R2.

It's not 17 or 18. It's about optimus.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have tested 980m in AW17, m17x R4, m18x R2.

The results are it does not work in any alienware without optimus.

With optimus it works. Which means 980m does not work on any of 3D alienware or m18x R1/ R2.

It's not 17 or 18. It's about optimus.

It seems that MSI GT60/70 series is the same with AW M17 When it comes to Switchable Graphics... SG = Muxless

Well the 980M pics floating around was from AW17 (not M17x).

He did mention something about FN+F5 in Chinese so I assume it was something regarding the MUX

I wish more people would try on their AW18/17 if godfafa is an isolated case or not.

I may dish out for a AW18 and buy 970M SLI but I got to be certain I'm not buying trouble.

He did mention something about FN+F5 in Chinese so I assume it was something regarding the MUX

I wish more people would try on their AW18/17 if godfafa is an isolated case or not.

I may dish out for a AW18 and buy 970M SLI but I got to be certain I'm not buying trouble.

You could take a bit of a risk and buy and A18 from that HIDevolution link that we were talking about. You don't have anything to lose, they're not gonna send it to you if it doesn't work. Worst case is that they take your money, and then in a couple of weeks say that they can't get it to work (I know you were doubting their ability to make it work) and give you a refund.

I am sure I am not an isolated case because I tested with two 980Ms on multiple alienwares.

(two 980Ms on AW17 3D, AW17 non-3D, m17x R4 and m18x R2)

And my folk from Korean Alienware Forum who bought his own has the same problem.

- - - Updated - - -

You could take a bit of a risk and buy and A18 from that HIDevolution link that we were talking about. You don't have anything to lose, they're not gonna send it to you if it doesn't work. Worst case is that they take your money, and then in a couple of weeks say that they can't get it to work (I know you were doubting their ability to make it work) and give you a refund.

They've already said they didn't test the configuration.

I have an email from them.

I have an email from EUROCOM.

Which says it does not work in alienware.

Here I am pretty sure 980m and alienware has some conflicts with optimus or I should rather say with MUX.

I see people who still think I am only person who failed to use 980m in alienware without optimus.

WRONG!

Do you think HID or whoever will send you a nice piece of alienware with 980m sli?

WRONG!

The only way we can use 980m in alienware is "with" optimus.

SLI, 3D dont work with optimus and this means 980m will not work.

Let's not think I am wrong. I am really serious about this and have spent alot of my time doing test with 980m.

I am not a newbie here who just started using alienware. I am pretty sure I know alot more than many of you guys about alienware and even general computers.

I am a really enthusiastic about tests and OC and stuff.

So please, dont think I am wrong. Think how we can fix this.

Once one installs the 980m in a system like mine can't they just use fn-5 to switch to dedicated graphics.

Sorry I'm not super computer savy just looking to upgrade my alienware with the latest graphics card like everyone else here.

I have 2013 alienware 17 with 770m and 60hz matte screen and optimus. A cording to post before mine the 980Ms work with systems with optimus right or am I misunderstanding. Thanks.

This is my first time here in these forums so go easy on me.

Believe as much as you want, several people here already told you that this is not the case.

Clevo resellers (especially eurocom) are talking a lot of bull when it comes to things like this. I don't believe a single word anymore I hear from eurocom. They're also the company that published a press release a while ago stating full MXM compatibility on their machines, which is not the case AT ALL.

Resellers don't get customized vbios or bios files, all they get is what Clevo provides them, they're just resellers and not manufacturers.

Haven't had a lot of time recently, but I was told that the 980m works perfectly fine in the AW17, M17x R3 and R4 but apparently not in the M18x R1. Don't take my word for it though, but I have no reason to mistrust the guy who told me this.

Might know more from first-hand experience next weekend.

The rep from HIDevolution told me that their techs are making a independent vbios for 980m to work on the Alienware. What's your take on this? Is it possible?

Once one installs the 980m in a system like mine can't they just use fn-5 to switch to dedicated graphics.

Sorry I'm not super computer savy just looking to upgrade my alienware with the latest graphics card like everyone else here.

I have 2013 alienware 17 with 770m and 60hz matte screen and optimus. A cording to post before mine the 980Ms work with systems with optimus right or am I misunderstanding. Thanks.

This is my first time here in these forums so go easy on me.

ATM the 980M's don't work on any Alienware Machines. As there are no "Dell" branded 900M series GPU's or AW systems with em in (vBIOS of dell not available for now) all of these cards are from Clevo or MSI...So this will take time to settle.

In the meantime go through this forum too for more information on these systems..

http://forum.notebookreview.com/alienware/

Guys, I think we will all have our answer when Dell decides to release its own 980M. Modifying a VBIOS is great and all, but its not going to compare to Dell's own engineers writing a custom vBIOS for it. I still think switchable graphics is the main culprit here, there may be a different implementation being worked on, which may explain Dell's delay in announcing any notebooks with a 970M/980M. Just wait for the Dell card to be released, you all will be wasting your money until then. SVL7 is a great modder, but there are some things even he can't fix (like retrofitting new nvidia cards while keeping 3D on the M17x series).

Guys, I think we will all have our answer when Dell decides to release its own 980M. Modifying a VBIOS is great and all, but its not going to compare to Dell's own engineers writing a custom vBIOS for it. I still think switchable graphics is the main culprit here, there may be a different implementation being worked on, which may explain Dell's delay in announcing any notebooks with a 970M/980M. Just wait for the Dell card to be released, you all will be wasting your money until then. SVL7 is a great modder, but there are some things even he can't fix (like retrofitting new nvidia cards while keeping 3D on the M17x series).

If Dell decides to release the 980m. That's a big if.

Will they release it to begin with? I sure hope so.

Hello all, i have been reading here with interest. You all said that's a igpu problem. I have got an m17xr2 witch is pretty much an desktop rig in laptop barebone , no igpu or hybrid sli or thing like this, just first gen cpu and dual mxm slot. Do you think those card should work in that case ? I know it's an old laptop ... but one 970m with 70/80w is for me far better than two 7970m with dual power supply and stuff.

Hello all, i have been reading here with interest. You all said that's a igpu problem. I have got an m17xr2 witch is pretty much an desktop rig in laptop barebone , no igpu or hybrid sli or thing like this, just first gen cpu and dual mxm slot. Do you think those card should work in that case ? I know it's an old laptop ... but one 970m with 70/80w is for me far better than two 7970m with dual power supply and stuff.

The problem is it only works when the iGPU is enabled. Since you do not have an iGPU it looks like there is no way for it to work.

The problem is it only works when the iGPU is enabled. Since you do not have an iGPU it looks like there is no way for it to work.

Is iGFX and iGPU the same? anyways Primary display i saw in bios for MSI GT60-16F3 (one of my nb) have the following:

Primary Display

-Auto

-iGFX

-PEG

-PCI

-SG

I saw iGPU settings also in the bios... Do you think that 980/970m will work? i'll post pic later if its ok here to post.. thanks