Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@Player2 I can confirm that they did not provide any disk or whatsoever to me. Mikecacho was provided with one and even the drivers on it were stock drivers so it is highly impossible for them to put in vbios files which are much more tedious for end users to flash by themselves.

And as for @davenam I'm very certain that your gpu is dead if it is not detected by bios. Happened to me around 30 minutes within installing my first card.

@Player2 I can confirm that they did not provide any disk or whatsoever to me. Mikecacho was provided with one and even the drivers on it were stock drivers so it is highly impossible for them to put in vbios files which are much more tedious for end users to flash by themselves.

And as for @davenam I'm very certain that your gpu is dead if it is not detected by bios. Happened to me around 30 minutes within installing my first card.

i hope DOA cards aren't that many!

Make sure you guys are using the Clevo Backplate if you're putting it in your Alienware's. If you use the Alienware backplates, you need to tape up the corners where it makes contact with transistors with electrical tape. Otherwise you'll short out your card..or worse..fry it.

Ok I am sitting in front of my computer. Alienware 17 , 770 , 4800mq, 60hz screen , windows 7.

It is in optimus mode and I can confirm everything is working perfectly. I need help installing my 980m . I downloaded ddu because I was told I would need it to Uninstall my current driver although I have never used the program before. I have never messed with drivers before let alone modding one. Any what should I do before turning off my computer and physical changing the gpu. The ghost said to Uninstall my driver first . How would I go about doing that exactly . Sorry I'm still green when it comes to some of these things.

Thanks

Ok I am sitting in front of my computer. Alienware 17 , 770 , 4800mq, 60hz screen , windows 7.

It is in optimus mode and I can confirm everything is working perfectly. I need help installing my 980m . I downloaded ddu because I was told I would need it to Uninstall my current driver although I have never used the program before. I have never messed with drivers before let alone modding one. Any what should I do before turning off my computer and physical changing the gpu. The ghost said to Uninstall my driver first . How would I go about doing that exactly . Sorry I'm still green when it comes to some of these things.

Thanks

uninstall everything nvidia related first the like physx, hd audio drivers, GFE and leave the driver to last. just go into the windows control panel > add or remove programs. after uninstalling the driver reboot into safe mode.

once in safe mode, run DDU and select it to clean out nvidia related registry entries and it should reboot.

now you shut down the laptop, disconnect all power sources and install the card.

i don't know if driver signing enforcement is in windows 7 so you better check that.

Make sure you guys are using the Clevo Backplate if you're putting it in your Alienware's. If you use the Alienware backplates, you need to tape up the corners where it makes contact with transistors with electrical tape. Otherwise you'll short out your card..or worse..fry it.

I am leaving the backplate that came on the card. I do not want to risk removing it. They sent me 8 screws that fit the one that came on card .

Thanks for info.

I Uninstalled all nvidia related drivers and used ddu and rebooted and my computer boots but freezes at desktop and I can't do anything

did you get to the login screen? see if you can reboot into safe mode and disable the iGPU in device manager and reboot...if it able to load without freezing then reboot again and then install the drivers.

when at the login screen hold down the shift key and click the arrow next to the power icon and select reboot - that should take you into safe mode.

Is there any way to Uninstall programs in safe mode like hwinfo and msi afterburner. I think that is what is freezing it because I have hwinfo set to wake gpu on boot . I don't know.

i ran into that when trying to switch to optimus....not smooth as i would hope but then i should expect not to constantly change between the two.

try disabling the iGPU in the device manager and see if it stops freezing cos if i switch to optimus and rebooted it would freeze on the desktop but if i rebooted in safe mode, disabled the iGPU and then rebooted it would load fine. it would then load fine after re-enabling the iGPU for some reason....not sure if it's a windows thing or something to do with the UEFI but most of the apps like RTSS and AB and precision x doesn't seem to the cause of the freezing as i had them turned off and it would still freeze.

so long as you don't keep switching between dedicated and optimus i wouldn't see an issue.

did you get to the login screen? see if you can reboot into safe mode and disable the iGPU in device manager and reboot...if it able to load without freezing then reboot again and then install the drivers.

when at the login screen hold down the shift key and click the arrow next to the power icon and select reboot - that should take you into safe mode.

I rebooted in safe mode and went to display adapters and it says intel driver and standard VGA graphics adapter. You said to disable intel driver correct. That won't leave me without a display.

I rebooted in safe mode and went to display adapters and it says intel driver and standard VGA graphics adapter. You said to disable intel driver correct. That won't leave me without a display.

try and install the nvidia drivers in safe mode. you can do that and i did when testing but for some reason you can't install physx or GFE.

I'm going to have to go dig out my restore disks and restore my computer.

for some reason i keep thinking you're on windows 8.1 :P

EDIT: now i am going to reconsider my game plan for when i install it :P and that might involve just going straight into dedicated mode or doing a full OS reformat.

since both of us are using AW17s with 8.1 i am curious as to the steps you took to install - like did you install while in optimus or in dedicated mode? etc.

does that even work? has anyone been successful cos i am a bit iffy about it!

sorry for screwing with your lappy :(

Do you know how to bring up the boot in safe mode menu .? I think I can do a factory restore if I can get to that menu.

Do you know how to bring up the boot in safe mode menu .? I think I can do a factory restore if I can get to that menu.

press F8 i think while the PC is loading.

try installing nvidia drivers in safe mode maybe and see what happens.