Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

mnvflash doesnt work with Alienware 18 and UEFI.

The program gets stuck and needs to be removed from task manager.

post-20082-14494999180919_thumb.jpg

Hwinfo fan control method for Alienware 18 and 970M/980M is broken.

You have 3 settings.

0 = Does nothing

1700 RPM = Does something but not good enough to keep my GPUs at bay. CPU however is cooled fine by this after I downclocked it using BIOS

3700 RPM = Leaf blower. Way too noisy.

You can make fan tables based on temperatures. Say you have 1700RPM all the way up to 70C and 3700RPM on 70C/80C. Since 1700RPM isnt good enough the GPUs will eventually get to 70C. 3700RPM kicks in. 1 seconds goes, the temp is down to 69C. Its back to 1700RPM. 5 seconds goes, 70C and back to 3700RPM.

Freaking annoying fan cycle. You have a setting within HWInfo to increase fan cycle ms (how long its active) but that doesnt work for AW18 or most machines anyway (tried it a gazillion times).

If you happen to touch Legacy settings in BIOS with Alienware 18, it wont even post when you save and exit BIOS. Dell stupid engineering monkeys have locked down this system so much you will need to do a hard reset with removing RAM and doing a special sequence to reset BIOS. Removing battery and CMOS doesnt work at all.

I wouldnt recommend doing Maxwell upgrades with Alienware 18.

mnvflash doesnt work with Alienware 18 and UEFI.

The program gets stuck and needs to be removed from task manager.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13717[/ATTACH]

Hwinfo fan control method for Alienware 18 and 970M/980M is broken.

You have 3 settings.

0 = Does nothing

1700 RPM = Does something but not good enough to keep my GPUs at bay. CPU however is cooled fine by this after I downclocked it using BIOS

3700 RPM = Leaf blower. Way too noisy.

You can make fan tables based on temperatures. Say you have 1700RPM all the way up to 70C and 3700RPM on 70C/80C. Since 1700RPM isnt good enough the GPUs will eventually get to 70C. 3700RPM kicks in. 1 seconds goes, the temp is down to 69C. Its back to 1700RPM. 5 seconds goes, 70C and back to 3700RPM.

Freaking annoying fan cycle. You have a setting within HWInfo to increase fan cycle ms (how long its active) but that doesnt work for AW18 or most machines anyway (tried it a gazillion times).

If you happen to touch Legacy settings in BIOS with Alienware 18, it wont even post when you save and exit BIOS. Dell stupid engineering monkeys have locked down this system so much you will need to do a hard reset with removing RAM and doing a special sequence to reset BIOS. Removing battery and CMOS doesnt work at all.

I wouldnt recommend doing Maxwell upgrades with Alienware 18.

@Cloudfire

You need to enable 'Legacy Option Rom' & SG mode...explained here http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-115.html#post119512

Are you nuts? Thats a bad bad advice.

I enabled Legacy yesterday (With UEFI) to use NVFLASH. Do you know what happens then?

Pitch black screen and 8 beeps. You will need open the notebook completely to remove both graphic cards, put it back together, change BIOS back, open the notebook up, reinstall the graphic cards, put it back together again.

And you accomplished nothing

Are you nuts? Thats a bad bad advice.

I enabled Legacy yesterday (With UEFI) to use NVFLASH. Do you know what happens then?

Pitch black screen and 8 beeps. You will need open the notebook completely to remove both graphic cards, put it back together, change BIOS back, open the notebook up, reinstall the graphic cards, put it back together again.

And you accomplished nothing

Nuts is setting Legacy Option rom without changing display to SG...:D If the option is not available then you will need M17xR4, AW17, M18XR2 or Clevo. Signature R4 120Hz model/PEG, I've been trying to mod nvflash, with no success. Nvidia messed up nvlflash...v5.163 works perfectly well under true UEFI, v5.164 changed everything.

Nuts is setting Legacy Option rom without changing display to SG...:D If the option is not available then you will need M17xR4, AW17, M18XR2 or Clevo. Signature R4 120Hz model/PEG, I've been trying to mod nvflash, with no success. Nvidia messed up nvlflash...up to v5.163 it worked perfectly well under true UEFI.

No, Alienware 18 doesnt have SG unfortunately.

You need to be very careful when giving out these advices to 970M/980M owners because if they enable Legacy then they are screwed

Does this mean we can use 5.163 with UEFI btw?

No, Alienware 18 doesnt have SG unfortunately.

You need to be very careful when giving out these advices to 970M/980M owners because if they enable Legacy then they are screwed

Does this mean we can use 5.163 with UEFI btw?

I just did...

Re-install v344.75, set Optimus -> reboot -> F2 BIOS -> Boot Options -> UEFI (Keep) -> Enable Legacy Option Rom -> F10 -> cmd (Admin)/cd flash following svl7's instructions.

@Cloudfire

Is it possible to disable SLI with FN+F7 option? if so try it out, then shutdown remove 1 GPU, boot to windows under device manger look for the Intel HD 4600. AW18 drivers page, Intel HD drivers are listed Product Support | Dell US

Don't change any BIOS settings yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey guys, Im currently running 344.91 on Dedicated mode and my scores are only averaging around 7.8k on Fire Strike as opposed to the typical 8k+ scores of 980m. Is there something that i'm missing here? :S

With identical clocks?

• Thumbs Up 1

I just did...

@Cloudfire

Is it possible to disable SLI with FN+F7 option? if so try it out, then shutdown remove 1 GPU, boot to windows under device manger look for the Intel HD 4600. AW18 drivers page, Intel HD drivers are listed Product Support | Dell US

Don't change any BIOS settings yet.

- - - Updated - - -

With identical clocks?

Legacy works just fine with 1 GPU. I could remove one and flash the remaining one, do the same with the second one.

But thats way too much hassle because I need to experiment with different voltages and clocks. Which means flashing and removing many times. Plus if I need to flash back to my exisiting vbios, I need to redo everything again.

Not going through that again. Already had to reset BIOS twice and a third time switch back BIOS to UEFI which involved removing the GPUs.

Absolutely horrible

FN+F7 is lower the sound of my speakers btw :)

Hey guys. I have an Alienware M18x R2 with a single GTX 660m. I just ordered a GTX 980M from hidevolution and a 100W heatsink to go along with it. Its due to arrive next week. So before it comes I want to ask a few questions about the upgrade since I've never done anything like this before.

1. I understand that I must use UEFI on and Legacy ROM off for the 980m to work. So that means I'll have to upgrade (or downgrade, depending on how you look at it) to windows 8 from windows 7. So when it comes do I just make adjustments to bios, upgrade card, and install win8 through usb drive? Or is it more complicated than that. (I've heard vaguely that you have to reformat drive to GPT. But I have no idea how to do that). Also, what about the data on my secondary drives? Do they also have to go to switch to UEFI?

2. Can someone explain to me what is up with this modded driver nonsense? Why do we have to mod the driver once we upgrade a card? Im currently planning to just install Mr.Fox's modified desktop driver. But after that do I have to modify drivers everytime there is an update?

I'm going to say this again for all those who can't read my thread or haven't read any of my posts...

The 970M/980M don't throttle in Optimus mode in M17x R4 and AW17 !!!!!!

Stop whining your heads off and just use your NVIDIA GPU in Optimus mode! You can OC and do everything with unlocked vBIOS + EVGA Precision X!!

Also can someone tell me what display port version is the one in the m17x R4 or the M18x R2? Will it run 4k@ 60Hz??

I'm going to say this again for all those who can't read my thread or haven't read any of my posts...

The 970M/980M don't throttle in Optimus mode in M17x R4 and AW17 !!!!!!

Stop whining your heads off and just use your NVIDIA GPU in Optimus mode! You can OC and do everything with unlocked vBIOS + EVGA Precision X!!

Also can someone tell me what display port version is the one in the m17x R4 or the M18x R2? Will it run 4k@ 60Hz??

And I keep saying I want dedicated mode for adaptive vsync but I doubt that will happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have an Alienware m18x r2 and I want to ask do I have to go UEFI and ditch Windows 7 if I am only going to install 1 980M? I'm going to upgrade to 980m sli one at a time since I don't have the money to get 2 at once. I'd love if I could keep my current system for a few more months.

What about the AW17 4gb 980M's vbios dump? nothing yet?

svl7 and prema have mentioned that the chances of it being compatible are slim so I wouldn't hold my breathe for it to be the miracle we were hoping for or even to just shed some light.

Ordered my card from hidevolution this morning at 10:00 . Got an email back from them about 3:00 with shipping information. Talk to ted and he said FedEx just dropped off a shipment of 980m's like 20 minutes before I called. so card should be on its way first thing tommorrow morning. Probably be at my house by wdnesday. They said you have 3 days to report a DOA card from time of receiving it. I'm out of town and won't be home till Friday . So I will have like 1 day to check card to make sure it's good.

Ordered my card from hidevolution this morning at 10:00 . Got an email back from them about 3:00 with shipping information. Talk to ted and he said FedEx just dropped off a shipment of 980m's like 20 minutes before I called. so card should be on its way first thing tommorrow morning. Probably be at my house by wdnesday. They said you have 3 days to report a DOA card from time of receiving it. I'm out of town and won't be home till Friday . So I will have like 1 day to check card to make sure it's good.

just make sure no one is there to collect!

on another note if the 980M doesn't throttle while running in dedicated mode then it's definitely something in the BIOS of the alienware laptops and that's something one can't fix...unless you're able to get passed the secure (almost typed screwed but that's kinda true too) flash and get to the EC.

just make sure no one is there to collect!

on another note if the 980M doesn't throttle while running in dedicated mode then it's definitely something in the BIOS of the alienware laptops and that's something one can't fix...unless you're able to get passed the secure (almost typed screwed but that's kinda true too) flash and get to the EC.

Tomjgx said it doesn't throttle in optimus mode . I will be using optimus mode with windows 7 so I should be ok. Cross fingers.

• Thumbs Up 1