Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Hi guys, seems like my 980m's delivery is due sometime today so i'm back again seeking advice regarding it. Hopefully it doesn't DOA on me again like it did last time :hopelessness:

Anyway, I'm installing it on my AW 17 60hz. Which driver is the recommended driver as of now for it? Should I use it on windwos 8.1 optimus or Dedicated mode?

If you have windows 7 installed try it on that first with optimus. Then try with windows 8 dedicated. Theirs quit a few people here interested how it works both ways.

Whatever you decide we will be waiting to hear how it works.[emoji12]

Hi guys, seems like my 980m's delivery is due sometime today so i'm back again seeking advice regarding it. Hopefully it doesn't DOA on me again like it did last time :hopelessness:

Anyway, I'm installing it on my AW 17 60hz. Which driver is the recommended driver as of now for it? Should I use it on windwos 8.1 optimus or Dedicated mode?

Test both (Win8.1). Settings http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-102.html#post119029

Try v344.91 nvcv.inf(1) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582

nv_dispi.inf http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-89.html#post117687

Had some troubles installing 344.91 ( black screen after windows loading icon) so I switched over to 347.09 to test if my GPU actually works or not. Currently running on dedicated mode however my fire strike score seems much lower than other 980m's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

Had some troubles installing 344.91 ( black screen after windows loading icon) so I switched over to 347.09 to test if my GPU actually works or not. Currently running on dedicated mode however my fire strike score seems much lower than other 980m's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

You probably installed v334.91 using nvcv.inf_v(2), just extract...forget about NVWMI (already there) and Install using nvcv.inf_v(1) Modded_nvcv.inf_v344.91_

v347.09/broken overclocking options, 3DMark results are w/ v344.75.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember now...AW17/680M inf...:D

slightly higher score of 7717 with the 344.91 drivers. Am I doing this right? Are those 8k-ish scores achieved with 344.75 drivers?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

And yes @J95 i'm the one who requested the AW17/680m inf combo :D Think i might actually be the only who do it that way :chuncky:

edit: 344.91 with the provided infs would only work on dedicated GPU mode. Optimus mode would give the black screen error.

Another thing that I would like to add, I tried flashing my gpu with svl7's vbios here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8560-nvidia-maxwell-vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions.html however, I could not get mnvflash to run ( the program would shut down literally after pressing 2 keys). Does anyone have any solution to this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I would like to say bye and wish the best making 980m work smoothly to all.I sild my AW17 with 980M and moved on to Clevo P770ZM. Everything just works and out of the box 3DMark scores are higher (Graphics 9823pts vs 8905pts on AW17). I decided to make the switch after seeing Dells new alienware lineup...its just sad.

• Thumbs Up 3

slightly higher score of 7717 with the 344.91 drivers. Am I doing this right? Are those 8k-ish scores achieved with 344.75 drivers?

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

And yes @J95 i'm the one who requested the AW17/680m inf combo :D Think i might actually be the only who do it that way :chuncky:

edit: 344.91 with the provided infs would only work on dedicated GPU mode. Optimus mode would give the black screen error.

Another thing that I would like to add, I tried flashing my gpu with svl7's vbios here http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8560-nvidia-maxwell-vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions.html however, I could not get mnvflash to run ( the program would shut down literally after pressing 2 keys). Does anyone have any solution to this?

Re-install v344.75, set Optimus -> reboot -> F2 BIOS -> Boot Options -> UEFI (Keep) -> Enable Legacy Option Rom -> F10 -> cmd (Admin)/cd flash following svl7's instructions.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to say bye and wish the best making 980m work smoothly to all.I sild my AW17 with 980M and moved on to Clevo P770ZM. Everything just works and out of the box 3DMark scores are higher (Graphics 9823pts vs 8905pts on AW17). I decided to make the switch after seeing Dells new alienware lineup...its just sad.

Indeed, good luck!

I am eager to see how well you can overclock that desktop CPU and what the temps are like. When you post your benchmarks, please send me a PM with a link to look at them. Hoping to see at least 4.5GHz and a 3DMark11 physics score of 12K or higher.

Hi! I have an Alienware m17x R4, 120Hz display. I have bought 980m from hidevolution and installed it. I wan't able to make it run on windows 7 at all so I had to install windows 8.1 and now everything seems to work just fine (no 3d) with their drivers.

Here what hidevolution answered me when I told them that I wasn't able to make it work on windows 7:

"

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try to follow these instructions and let us know how it goes.

Settings and instructions on how to install your new NVIDIA GTX 900m series on your laptop when running windows 8/8.1

1.) Make sure all previous GTX graphics drivers are uninstalled and cleaned out of your computer.

2.) Install your new GTX 900m series GPU using supplied hardware, then boot up your system.

3.) Download and Extract the driver in your C:\ drive

install will try to install but will fail.

4.) Go to “PC Settings”

5.) Go to “Update and Recovery” Tab

6.) Go to “Recovery” Tab

7.) Under “Advanced startup” click “restart now”

8.) After computer restarts, click on “troubleshoot” option.

9.) Under “troubleshoot” choose “Advanced options”

10.) Under “Advanced options” click on “Startup settings”

11.) Startup settings will ask you to restart your computer and will go into windows.

12.) Once in windows you can now install your modified driver.

Instructions on how to install your new NVIDIA GTX 900m series on your laptop when running Windows 7

1.) Make sure all previous graphics drivers are uninstalled and cleaned out of your computer.

2.) Install your new GTX 900m series GPU using supplied hardware, then boot up your system.

3.) Download and install your modified driver.

4.) Install your modified driver.

"

I have tried in every way but nothing.

However I have a x4175 in 3dmark 11 without overlocking (I'm not very good with it), I have a 3940xm cpu and 32gb ram 1600..could it be a correct score?

PS sorry for my bad english

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi! I have an Alienware m17x R4, 120Hz display. I have bought 980m from hidevolution and installed it. I wan't able to make it run on windows 7 at all so I had to install windows 8.1 and now everything seems to work just fine (no 3d) with their drivers.

Here what hidevolution answered me when I told them that I wasn't able to make it work on windows 7:

"

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. Please try to follow these instructions and let us know how it goes.

Settings and instructions on how to install your new NVIDIA GTX 900m series on your laptop when running windows 8/8.1

1.) Make sure all previous GTX graphics drivers are uninstalled and cleaned out of your computer.

4.) Go to “PC Settings”

6.) Go to “Recovery” Tab

11.) Startup settings will ask you to restart your computer and will go into windows.

Instructions on how to install your new NVIDIA GTX 900m series on your laptop when running Windows 7

1.) Make sure all previous graphics drivers are uninstalled and cleaned out of your computer.

"

However I have a x4175 in 3dmark 11 without overclocking (I'm not very good with it), I have a 3940xm cpu and 32gb ram 1600..could it be a correct score?

downloaded the 347.12 drivers + all associated modded files and have already made 2 driver sets that are ready to go when i order the card.

can you please share it to download

right now I am using 347.09 modded with results ca. P11050 in 3dmark

would like to try new drivers - might be a better performance :)

can you please share it to download

right now I am using 347.09 modded with results ca. P11050 in 3dmark

would like to try new drivers - might be a better performance :)

v347.12/broken overclocking options like v347.09...always use INF_v(1) Dedicated, better try v344.91 nvcv.inf(1) http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582

nv_dispi.inf Desktop 980/970 entries http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-89.html#post117687

@J95 I still couldnt get svl7's mnvflash to work with the instructions that you provided. And for some reason, my graphic score is at least 500 lower than most of the benchmarks. really weird issue here :S

BIOS/UEFI with Legacy Option Rom Enabled.

Rename "Nvidia GTX 980m - 'OC edition' rev0.rom" to "980m.rom" copy to mnvflash folder -> Desktop

Flashing:

- Go to the device manager -> 'Display Adapters' -> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose disable

- Flash the VBIOS with mnvflash, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed instructions for nvflash in case you aren't familiar with it.

- After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.

- Reboot

@BillyXq backup first.

cmd (Admin)

cd C:\Users\your_user_name\Desktop\mnvflash_windows_5.196

mnvflash.exe -b backup.rom
mnvflash.exe -6 980m.rom

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 I did exactly as instructed however when I try to do anything with mnvflash.exe, the cmd would just lock up (can't press any button or exit it)

1. Confirmed -> BIOS/UEFI with Legacy Option Rom Enabled -> @BillyXq Secure Boot Disabled

2. Disable Anti-Virus

Flashing:

- Go to the device manager -> 'Display Adapters' -> chooser your GPU, right click on it and choose disable

- Flash the VBIOS with mnvflash, a modified version of nvflash (see attachments). Here are detailed instructions for nvflash in case you aren't familiar with it.

- After the flashing is done: Enable the GPU once again in the device manager.

- Reboot

"

4.) Go to “PC Settings”

6.) Go to “Recovery” Tab

"

However I have a x4175 in 3dmark 11 without overlocking (I'm not very good with it), I have a 3940xm cpu and 32gb ram 1600..could it be a correct score?

Welcome to T|I @vj88

Install v344.91, follow this http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-post119029.html#post119029

F8 boot options & DDU makes it really quick, try different versions from here or here v(1)

You will need 5 quality posts or T|I Elite Membership and get immediate download access.

so if 347.09 and 347.12 ain't good then what driver is?
@J95 it worked! turned out bit defender was doing an extremely long scan on mnvflash! Thanks for the tip!

No problem. Bitdefender will affect performance results, especially when running 3DMark's System Info, even when disabled Physics scores are lower...you really don't need it at all, just use Windows Firewall & Defender. Malwarebytes Free on-demand scanning.

• Thumbs Up 2