Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Ive already tried both uefi and legacy.

As you said some resellers are selling AW18 with 980m sli. But to be honest I dont think they even have tested that configuration. If they did, how come there is no alienware with 980m listed in 3dmark results. If I were to sell that kind of thing, I'd definitely go test it with 3dmark benches before anything.

@J95

Nvidia driver doesnt work with IG on.

And I am at wotk now(not with my r4), were we able to off sound in R4?

Have-Disk method/nvdmi.inf. F8 "Disable Driver Signing Enforcement"

"Azalia" (HDMI) it disables the sound card too. Second Advanced menu -> Peripheral Configuration -> Azalia -> Disabled.

Eurocom has an AW (R3) as test machine

Issues/BS included.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Have-Disk method/nvdmi.inf. F8 "Disable Driver Signing Enforcement"

"Azalia" (HDMI) it disables the sound card too. Second Advanced menu -> Peripheral Configuration -> Azalia -> Disabled.

Eurocom has an AW (R3) as test machine

Issues/BS included.

Okay thanks. I'll try that too.

One more thing to do : I got v11 from Korean Clevo Reseller.

I dont know what is the difference between v10 and v11, but I'll give it a shot.

Everything failed.

This is the answer from upgrademonkey (ebay seller) whom I think is the most honest.

"Hi We are waiting for the MSI version ,and it should be better compatibility than Clevo version,according to a MSI engineer privately. , but not tested yet. so not guaranteed from us."

I will wait for mod-vbios. I've done everything I can and I am kinda happy that at least I found out current vbios of 980m dont work on alienware.

So dont waste money folks.

It will be interesting once the Dell vBIOS is available if Prema and svl7 can see what the differences are... whether Clevo did something to the "normal" 980M vBIOS that makes it the firmware incompatible with Alienware, as well as how well the Alienware vBIOS works for a 980M installed in the Clevo. I have a wild guess that maybe it was something they tweaked for GPU installation in a Clevo machine. It would be nice if they could use an interchangeable vBIOS like we can with 780M. There might also be something that Prema can tweak in the Clevo sBIOS to make a generic 980M vBIOS functional for 980M on most or all platforms.

They (DELL) probably want you guys to purchase that new Alienware M18X with an SLI GTX 980M before they would release drivers first.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but this could be possible!

Good luck all of you guys!

Yeah modding VBIOS will be a nerdy but great stuff for all who is planning to upgrade to a GTX 980M

Well maybe the M18x would not work but what about the AW 18 itself?

Well 980m doens't work in AW17 (both 3D and non-3D).

Since I dont have AW18, I can't test the card on it but I am pretty sure it wont work on AW18.

- - - Updated - - -

Old clevo notebooks need new bios to work with 980m.

So this issue might be not merely vbios problem but alienware bios problem.

Nothing is for sure though. My best guess.

Well 980m doens't work in AW17 (both 3D and non-3D).

Since I dont have AW18, I can't test the card on it but I am pretty sure it wont work on AW18.

- - - Updated - - -

Old clevo notebooks need new bios to work with 980m.

Not BIOS, at least M17xR4 & M18xR2.

...Old clevo notebooks need new bios to work with 980m.

The BIOS updates are just cosmetic, to adjust FAN values and display GPU in BIOS etc...

The new cards work on all Clevos without BIOS updates (except the old EM and older HM series, which also didn't work with GTX780M+)

HIDevolution is selling the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI. [ HIDevolution Alienware 18-HID19 NVIDIA Dual SLI GTX 980M Gaming Laptop ] so it has to work correctly. I find it too difficult to believe that a reputable vendor like HIDevolution would be offering it for sale on their web site if it doesn't function.

It should work fine in the Alienware 18 or M18xR2, perhaps even with the Clevo vBIOS. If not, it's most likely something with the Clevo vBIOS that either a Dell vBIOS or a generic/reference 980M vBIOS will rectify. I doubt there is anything about the Alienware system BIOS that is causing it to act up.

Drivers won't be a problem. You just mod the INF and go. I don't use OEM display drivers on anything and we don't need OEM driver support for anything else unless it is a brand-specific component like AlienFX.

If you want to send me the GPU, I would be more than glad to test it in the M18xR1, M18xR2 and Alienware 18 machines sitting in my office. I won't charge anything to test it.

Side note: I would be surprised if Dell offers the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI. I have a bad feeling they will not be selling it with any GPU. I have a gnawing feeling in my gut that they will release a 17" Ultrabook with BGA CPU/GPU and offer no laptops with SLI or MXM modules any more. The days of buying a laptop from Alienware and upgrading it for several generations of GPU refreshes may be over. Perhaps they feel there is not enough money to be made selling machines that are good for 3 to 5 years worth of GPU upgrades. Having everything soldered to the motherboard would solve that dilemma for them instantly. Then comes the hard part... getting any self-respecting Alienware enthusiast to consider buying that kind of garbage. If they find enough console kiddies that like Ultrabooks and are willing to buy crap like that, they may have had their marketing analysts crunch the numbers and decided they do not need to care about retaining their old enthusiast customers.

This is all rumor-based speculation and I hope I am totally wrong. I really don't want to have to switch brands or go back to using a desktop, although I will do that before I buy an Ultrabook or laptop with BGA-mounted CPU or GPU. But stop and think about it. Why would they not offer the 17 or 18 with 970M and 980M right now if they were actually planning to continue selling the current machines? They are already losing sales because of not offering it.

The BIOS updates are just cosmetic, to adjust FAN values and display GPU in BIOS etc...

The new cards work on all Clevos without BIOS updates (except the old EM and older HM series, which also didn't work with GTX780M+)

I see. I thought without new bios support, maxwell GPU wouldn't work on SM series. I was wrong about that.

- - - Updated - - -

HIDevolution is selling the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI. [ HIDevolution Alienware 18-HID19 NVIDIA Dual SLI GTX 980M Gaming Laptop ] so it has to work correctly. I find it too difficult to believe that a reputable vendor like HIDevolution would be offering it for sale on their web site if it doesn't function.

It should work fine in the Alienware 18 or M18xR2, perhaps even with the Clevo vBIOS. If not, it's most likely something with the Clevo vBIOS that either a Dell vBIOS or a generic/reference 980M vBIOS will rectify. I doubt there is anything about the Alienware system BIOS that is causing it to act up.

Drivers won't be a problem. You just mod the INF and go. I don't use OEM display drivers on anything and we don't need OEM driver support for anything else unless it is a brand-specific component like AlienFX.

If you want to send me the GPU, I would be more than glad to test it in the M18xR1, M18xR2 and Alienware 18 machines sitting in my office. I won't charge anything to test it.

Side note: I would be surprised if Dell offers the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI. I have a bad feeling they will not be selling it with any GPU. I have a gnawing feeling in my gut that they will release a 17" Ultrabook with BGA CPU/GPU and offer no laptops with SLI or MXM modules any more. The days of buying a laptop from Alienware and upgrading it for several generations of GPU refreshes may be over. Perhaps they feel there is not enough money to be made selling machines that are good for 3 to 5 years worth of GPU upgrades. Having everything soldered to the motherboard would solve that dilemma for them instantly. Then comes the hard part... getting any self-respecting Alienware enthusiast to consider buying that kind of garbage. If they find enough console kiddies that like Ultrabooks and are willing to buy crap like that, they may have had their marketing analysts crunch the numbers and decided they do not need to care about retaining their old enthusiast customers.

This is all rumor-based speculation and I hope I am totally wrong. I really don't want to have to switch brands or go back to using a desktop, but I will do that before I buy an Ultrabook or laptop with BGA-mounted CPU or GPU. But stop and think about it. Why would they not offer the 17 or 18 with 970M and 980M if they were actually planning to continue selling the current machines? They are already losing sales because of not offering it.

If I were in US, I'd love to pass the card to you. Too bad I am in Korea and it is not mine. I think I got about a week or so to test this and then I gotta return it back the Korean Clevo-reseller "Hansung".

The problem is the driver because this doens't even let alienware post. And I feel same as you for the soldered laptops.

The new '18 MSI 980m sli monster came out with HQ cpu. I think alienware will come out like that (with CPU soldered at least).

I wont pay to buy things like that. Rather I'd change to clevo p37x series or the clevo's new desktop CPU model.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is all rumor-based speculation and I hope I am totally wrong. I really don't want to have to switch brands or go back to using a desktop, although I will do that before I buy an Ultrabook or laptop with BGA-mounted CPU or GPU. But stop and think about it. Why would they not offer the 17 or 18 with 970M and 980M right now if they were actually planning to continue selling the current machines? They are already losing sales because of not offering it.

...because they want to get rid of us. AW17 forum/s proves that "minor performance issues" Target.

This is all rumor-based speculation and I hope I am totally wrong. I really don't want to have to switch brands or go back to using a desktop, but I will do that before I buy an Ultrabook or laptop with BGA-mounted CPU or GPU. But stop and think about it. Why would they not offer the 17 or 18 with 970M and 980M if they were actually planning to continue selling the current machines? They are already losing sales because of not offering it.

HID has reputation. But they and some ebay sellers have listed "for alienware" "AW18 980m sli" even before they got the GPU.

This is why I've asked them to show me the evidence that 980m works on alienware.

HID said they've not even tried the configuration.

And upgrademonkey says they need to test more.

I really dont like to distrust people. However in this case, I think I have to before anyone really come out to show his/her alienware with 980m.

- - - Updated - - -

Drivers are not used in a pre-OS boot environment. If you cannot get the machine to POST, drivers are the least of concern. Something else is going on.

I meant "the problem is not the driver".

I misstyped. sorry for that.

I understand. I have sent an inquiry to HIDevolution. I want it to work and if they can show me they have tested it and will guarantee it will work with the M18xR2 I will buy a pair of 980M GPUs from them to upgrade my M18xR2 unless the price is unreasonable. If they cannot guarantee it and can't show me proof that it works, then we will continue waiting. They are just way too expensive to buy them as an experiment and not be able to return them for a refund if they do not work. I am not particularly interested in upgrading the Alienware 18 because it has too many limitations to bother with it.

HID has reputation. But they and some ebay sellers have listed "for alienware" "AW18 980m sli" even before they got the GPU.

This is why I've asked them to show me the evidence that 980m works on alienware.

HID said they've not even tried the configuration.

And this is the letter from upgrademonkey.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12982[/ATTACH]

I really dont like to distrust people. However in this case, I think I have to before anyone really come out to show his/her alienware with 980m.

- - - Updated - - -

I meant "the problem is not the driver".

I misstyped. sorry for that.

I'm pretty much 100% sure that if HIDevolution are selling the A18 with 980M sli then they would have tested it already - I think we'll eventually find that the 980M will be compatible with a good number of the past Alienware machines. If I had to place a bet I'd bet they'd even be compatible with the M17xR3 (but I don't need to upgrade yet!).