Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

There is a Chinese guy who used a Clevo 980M inside his AW17 and he was only semi successful. The card works like it should with Optimus On, but not the other mode with Optimus Off.

I really don't understand either. Some people are saying GTX 780M was the same and they had to wait for Dell vbios. That's gonna take a looooong time. Probably 2015 :/

I wish SVL or Prema could help

This Chinese guys (a laptop seller) says he successfully installed 980m on a m17x r4.

外星人M17x R4 æˆåŠŸ980M ç¡å‰ä¸€è´´åˆ†äº«_准系统å§_百度贴å§

I asked how but he wouldn't tell.

That's how I nvflashed in m17x r4. So I think it should work. The method you suggested was not tested in m18x r2 but I think that will allow m18x r2 act as optimus. So it should work.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad he didnt read my post b4 buying two 980m. There is no way right now to make it work as sli. Only optimus makes it work. Try what Johnksss suggested. That method makes 18r2 run as optimus.

Well i went through your whole log, Actually i ordered 2 weeks back. Anyway its not solution. i just check bios version it's v12 which is i believe latest from Clevo.

SLI and Optimus? O_o

Edit: Oh you are just using one GPU to see if that method makes it boot up properly? Then what?

Omg M18x n Optimus, i would never consider that option i can use dual 7970m against 980m with Optimus. Yeah i agree with you Cloudfire, it is not solution.

Well i went through your whole log, Actually i ordered 2 weeks back. Anyway its not solution. i just check bios version it's v12 which is i believe latest from Clevo.

Omg M18x n Optimus, i would never consider that option i can use dual 7970m against 980m with Optimus. Yeah i agree with you Cloudfire, it is not solution.

I don't think SLI and Optimus is even possible

Maybe johnkss is trying to figure out if the BIOS work with Optimus vbios. It may not actually use Optimus, just let it boot properly perhaps?

:)

This is M17x I guess?

我似乎把GTX980m装上去了……_alienwareå§_百度贴å§

Maybe johnkss is trying to figure out if the BIOS work with Optimus vbios. It may not actually use Optimus, just let it boot properly perhaps?

This is M17x I guess?

我似乎把GTX980m装上去了……_alienware吧_百度贴吧

M17xR4 PCI-E 3.0

post-3012-14494998767971_thumb.png

i7-3740QM HD 4000

post-3012-14494998768469_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

SLI and Optimus? O_o

Edit: Oh you are just using one GPU to see if that method makes it boot up properly? Then what? :)

Yeah only one 980m can work as optimus.

Optimus and Sli dont work together. Yeah you're right.

- - - Updated - - -

M17xR4 PCI-E 3.0

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13125[/ATTACH]

i7-3740QM HD 4000

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13126[/ATTACH]

That picture was done with optimus right?

Hi,

I'm new to the forums. I'm looking for more information on Alienware m17x r3 with a specific upgrade to the gtx 980m as well. According to google search, the Alienware m17x r3 does have optimus capabilities inside bios options so does that mean an upgrade to the gtx 980m mxm card provided for Clevo will work?

If it does indeed work, does anyone know if the cooling solution for stock nvidia gtx 460m will work with gtx 980m to cool it? OR Do I need to buy more cooling/thermal pads OR Do I just plainly need to get a new gtx 980m cooling kit?

I think Peter at the NBR needs your help. He bought 2 980M for his M18x R2 and it is not working.

I'll look when i get time...

That's how I nvflashed in m17x r4. So I think it should work. The method you suggested was not tested in m18x r2 but I think that will allow m18x r2 act as optimus. So it should work.

- - - Updated - - -

Too bad he didnt read my post b4 buying two 980m. There is no way right now to make it work as sli. Only optimus makes it work. Try what Johnksss suggested. That method makes 18r2 run as optimus.

So no one has tried yet?

This is M17x I guess?

我似乎把GTX980m装上去了……_alienwareå§_百度贴å§

SLI and Optimus? O_o

Edit: Oh you are just using one GPU to see if that method makes it boot up properly? Then what? :)

No such thing as optimus in a M18X R1/R2 when running sli.

And I have a few ideas, but since the first part never was done. I'll just wait. I may get a set and try to get them going when I have time.

• Thumbs Up 1

@johnksss

Hello.

There isn't many people who own both alienware and 980m right now, I guess.

Your suggestion, to me, is making m18x R2 work as optimus. I am pretty sure it will work in that manner.

I am more curious why you suggested the method. What does it mean if it works or does not with your method.

I really dont see any difference between your-method-done-m18x R2 and optimus-enabled-m17x R4.

Can you please explain what is difference or what could the results of your suggestion mean?

The problem will be solved after the release of the original cards for gtx980M! I transformed the same thing a year ago, even VBIOS delowski not helped Clevo gtx780M The only question is, when will the Dell gtx980M? I transformed the same thing a year ago, even VBIOS delowski not help Clevo gtx780M The only question is, when will the Dell gtx980M?

The problem will be solved after the release of the original cards for gtx980M! I transformed the same thing a year ago, even VBIOS delowski not helped Clevo gtx780M The only question is, when will the Dell gtx980M? I transformed the same thing a year ago, even VBIOS delowski not help Clevo gtx780M The only question is, when will the Dell gtx980M?

That's right.

If dell releases 980m mxm. This issue will be solved very easily.

But if it releases 980m on-board (4gb) or does not releases at all, SUPERMAN has to solve this.

That's right.

But if it releases 980m on-board (4gb) or does not releases at all, SUPERMAN has to solve this.

Remember that a small chip in the lower left corner of the card gtx780M Clevo?

Only after the installation of a small chip card Clevo acted in M18xR2 .

Here also lies the problem Clevo cards :(

The worst part is that it does not have these chips and cards Dela :(

M17xR4 PCI-E 3.0

i7-3740QM HD 4000

Yeah I figured it was M17x.

Well he have posted many pictures in the thread as well as Assassin Creed benchmark/gamplay, so his 980M upgrade is indeed legit :)

That's right.

The day Alienware use soldered GPUs AND CPUs, they will be dead to me.

Remember that a small chip in the lower left corner of the card gtx780M Clevo?

Only after the installation of a small chip card Clevo acted in M18xR2 .

Here also lies the problem Clevo cards frown.png

The worst part is that it does not have these chips and cards Dela frown.png

The Clevo MXM 780M got another chip on the PCB than Dell 780M?

I'll look when i get time...

So no one has tried yet?

No such thing as optimus in a M18X R1/R2 when running sli.

And I have a few ideas, but since the first part never was done. I'll just wait. I may get a set and try to get them going when I have time.

Peter from Notebookreview said he may try the unlocked BIOS today and try

Aw m18x R2 Dual 980m SLI upgrade!! - Page 3

I meant exactly this chip or vbios _ Dell Alienware NVIDIA GTX780M 780M Video Card Replacement Vbios V BIOS Chip 256K | eBay

The same thing you will need to apply for Clevo gtx980M.

Well actually I am using clevo 780m, two of them, with unlocked vbios by johnksss & svl7, in my m18x R2 and m17x R4 without a single problem.

It was pnp. I dont know what happened to you :(

i bought a gtx980m from eurocom, and I can start aw17 with it, but when i try install driver, no compatible adapter found, and cannot install, if I switch i/d fx, when laptop restart, only black screen and 8 bips.... eurocom tell need firm upgrade for laptop or bios for that works, but for the moment, i couldnt install nvidia drivers....

I don't know if this is a long shot or has been tried or suggested, but have you considered trying to flash the card with MSI vBios since they are known to work on Clevo cards. Maybe an MSI non-Optimus vbios that the MSI GT72 uses might work?

I don't know if this is a long shot or has been tried or suggested, but have you considered trying to flash the card with MSI vBios since they are known to work on Clevo cards. Maybe an MSI non-Optimus vbios that the MSI GT72 uses might work?

Yes it is v0A and I've tried it. No work.

There's no Dell vbios. Anyway, I don't have a card yet, but if anyone is willing to flash some stuff, let me know. Can't guarantee functionality though since I can't test anything myself atm.

• Thumbs Up 1