Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Korean clevo reseller let me test their gtx980m in my alienware.

With my folks from Korean alienware forum, I am gonna test

1) whether it works in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW 17

2) how heatsink and gpu chips match hardware-wise

3) do some benchmarks (3dmark11, new 3dmark...)

I've got a desktop modded- nvidia gpu driver (thanks to LEEKM) which doesn't need inf modding.

Too bad I am not getting two, so I can't test sli.

I think I am getting it in a few hours, but gotta go to my wife's parents house. So I will be able to test it tomorrow night (korean time) ie about 33 hours from now.

Wish me a good luck folks.

I have succeeded finally.

Click here.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay, this is the 980m that they let met test.

It failed to post with m18x R2, m17x R4 and AW17.

So I am guessing that they sent me a gpu that was used for 2nd GPU of SLI.

Tomorrow they are giving me a vbios or a new card.

post-13289-14494998611463_thumb.jpg

The X-bracket is different from dell vendor. So you need 4 screws that match the holes of the X-bracket.

post-13289-14494998612858_thumb.jpg

This is the bottom part of the GPU. It looks different.

You need to take off the black sponge to set this on alienware.

And an extra heatpad that can cover the memory.

post-13289-14494998613702_thumb.jpg

The inner part of alienware heatsink and the GPU chips match very well. So we dont have to mod the heatsink of alienware m18x R2, m17x R4 and AW17.

After getting the new vbios or new GPU, I will bench and let you guys know how this baby works.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nvidia cards do not have separate master and slave bios like amd cards. Why did you change the xbracket? I'm thinking that maybe you damaged the card when you did that.

Have you tried running the card with optimus enabled? Is it detected?

@godfafa

Clevo screws are smaller, x-bracket use Clevo screws.

This will work when an aftermarket card was previously installed.

M17xR4. First Remove the card and reset the BIOS.

Enter the BIOS (iGPU) -> Second advanced menu -> Video configuration -> Disable IGP -> set Display to PEG -> Exit menu -> select "Save without Exit" option -> Power off -> Reinsert the Card -> Power On.

Nvidia cards do not have separate master and slave bios like amd cards. Why did you change the xbracket? I'm thinking that maybe you damaged the card when you did that.

Have you tried running the card with optimus enabled? Is it detected?

i didnt change the bracket.

that's original clevo bracket.

and from my experience of 680m sli, 1st and 2nd gpu had different vbios and 2nd 680m didnt post.

- - - Updated - - -

@godfafa

Clevo screws are smaller, x-bracket use Clevo screws.

This will work when an aftermarket card was previously installed.

M17xR4. First Remove the card and reset the BIOS.

Enter the BIOS (iGPU) -> Second advanced menu -> Video configuration -> Disable IGP -> set Display to PEG -> Exit menu -> select "Save without Exit" option -> Power off -> Reinsert the Card -> Power On.

you know me buddy. I did that. still doesnt post. Like 10 months ago, I had the same problem when I bought 780m from clevo. I succeeded after chaning the vbios to primary vbios.

I am pretty sure it's vbios problem because it failed to post even in p375sm clevo highend model. They are sending me a new card in a few hours so I will be able to test it tonight (korean time). Wish me a good luck :)

i didnt change the bracket.

that's original clevo bracket.

and from my experience of 680m sli, 1st and 2nd gpu had different vbios and 2nd 680m didnt post.

- - - Updated - - -

you know me buddy. I did that. still doesnt post. Like 10 months ago, I had the same problem when I bought 780m from clevo. I succeeded after chaning the vbios to primary vbios.

I am pretty sure it's vbios problem because it failed to post even in p375sm clevo highend model. They are sending me a new card in a few hours so I will be able to test it tonight (korean time). Wish me a good luck :)

There's no such thing 'primary vBIOS', check the ones for 17" Clevos single GPU models. My cards are all Clevo/Sager. Since I can't flash using SG (3D), I always ask for the closest/matching model.

Good luck mate!

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95

There are reasons for me to think there is a primary/secondary vbios.

My m18x R2 which came out 680m sli originally. I re-pasted the thermal and it didn't post.

I first thought that I missed some wires while re-assembly. I re-assembled like 3 times but didn't post.

Lastly, what I did was, changing the GPU. Then I came out to work. Then I checked the vbios of the two GPUs and they were different.

I dont know why that kind of thing happened but my old guess was "vbios".

Another reason is that I bought 780m from Korean Clevo last year, it failed to post.

I changed the vbios to TI unlocked 780m by svl7 and it worked.

I really dont know what is going on, but if there is no such thing as primary or secondary vbios,

well, then alienware users will not be able to upgrade GPU to 980m. At least now when there is no "general" unlocked vbios for it.

I am sure I have done the right thing to upgrade. (unlocked bios, disable IGP, primary PEG... ect) as I've done it more than "many" times.

Anyways, I am getting a new card that was used as primary, so let's see what heppens.

I hope things go smooth.

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95

I am sure I have done the right thing to upgrade. (unlocked bios, disable IGP, primary PEG... ect) as I've done it more than "many" times.

I know that...;)

Still, this is slightly different.

Welcome to T|I.

Unlocked BIOS.

- Unplug power cord

- Remove battery

- Hold power button for 30 seconds

- Remove CMOS coin battery (next to GPU fan)

- Remove gtx 770m -> 2 screws only, there's no need to remove the heat sink.

- Reinsert CMOS battery

- Plug power cord

- Power on -> Beeps -> hold power button until shutdown.

- Power on -> F2 -> disable the integrated graphics - Second Advanced Menu -> Video Configuration -> disable IGP -> set display to PEG -> Exit menu 'Save Without Exit' -> shutdown.

- Reinsert gtx 770m.

- Power ON -> F2 -> shutdown.

- Reinsert Battery.

• Thumbs Up 1

v12 is the vBIOS for SLI systems, v10 is the one for single GPU. So your card is already using the correct Clevo SLI vBIOS. There are no Master/Slave vBIOS.

Okay thanks.

Does v12 works as a single GPU too?

I only have one 980m, so should I get a v10 for it?

And if you have 980m v10 vbios, can you please give me a big help?

Since v12 doesn't work, sure try v10. I think on clevo they can anyway both be interchanged and still work on SLI and single GPU systems, it's just the way they are shipped.

PM me if you like...

Since v12 doesn't work, sure try v10. I think on clevo they can anyway both be interchanged and still work on SLI and single GPU systems, it's just the way they are shipped.

PM me if you like...

Thank you sir!

I've sent a PM.

@J95 @Prema

I have tried all I can.

Flashing it with v10 and msi v0A.

Still dont post.

Did what j95 told me to do. No change.

The gpu is recognized when IG is on (ie. optimus enabled).

In bios it is recognized as nvidia GTX and also in device manager as "standard video".

But after disabling IG, and setting primary display as PEG, it just dont post.

I think we need a vbios for Dell.

@svl7

Maybe you can look at the 980m vbios and see what's wrong? Why doesnt it work with alienware :(

@J95 @Prema

I have tried all I can.

Flashing it with v10 and msi v0A.

Still dont post.

Did what j95 told me to do. No change.

The gpu is recognized when IG is on (ie. optimus enabled).

I think we need a vbios for Dell.

@svl7

Maybe you can look at the 980m vbios and see what's wrong? Why doesnt it work with alienware :(

In bios it is recognized as nvidia GTX and also in device manager as "standard video".

Are you able to install the nvidia drivers? Post IDs. Try setting IGP to default or AUTO and set PEG. If it starts beeping, repeat the steps of my previous post (M17xR4).

There could be something with the Clevo vBIOS that is causing a problem or conflict of some sort. There is no such thing as master/slave vBIOS for NVIDIA going all the way back to 580M. I think the last time I saw that goofy kind of arrangement was with ATI 4870M/5870M CrossFire, so probably no need to be concerned about that.

Is the BIOS set to Legacy (not UEFI with Legacy Option ROM, but actual Legacy mode)? One may work where the other may not, so try it both ways if you have not already done so. Depending on the vBIOS, it may not work at all on a Windows 8 machine if Secure Boot is enabled. Some of the resellers are already peddling the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI as an aftermarket upgrade, so it has to work... but, you may need to get a different vBIOS. Maybe reach out to one of the vendors selling the Alienware 18 that way and see if they will email you the vBIOS they are using.

eTKaSZLh.jpg

If he followed the steps correctly the R4 will default to Legacy mode anyway, unless of course he manually set it to UEFI. It's definitely a vBIOS issue, UEFI supported type vBIOS.

@godfafa

Good sign...just for the sake of testing try disabling the on-board sound card (BIOS), like the R3/780M issue.

There could be something with the Clevo vBIOS that is causing a problem or conflict of some sort. There is no such thing as master/slave vBIOS for NVIDIA going all the way back to 580M. I think the last time I saw that goofy kind of arrangement was with ATI 4870M/5870M CrossFire, so probably no need to be concerned about that.

Is the BIOS set to Legacy (not UEFI with Legacy Option ROM, but actual Legacy mode)? One may work where the other may not, so try it both ways if you have not already done so. Depending on the vBIOS, it may not work at all on a Windows 8 machine if Secure Boot is enabled. Some of the resellers are already peddling the Alienware 18 with 980M SLI as an aftermarket upgrade, so it has to work... but, you may need to get a different vBIOS. Maybe reach out to one of the vendors selling the Alienware 18 that way and see if they will email you the vBIOS they are using.

eTKaSZLh.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

Yes Ive already tried both uefi and legacy.

As you said some resellers are selling AW18 with 980m sli. But to be honest I dont think they even have tested that configuration. If they did, how come there is no alienware with 980m listed in 3dmark results. If I were to sell that kind of thing, I'd definitely go test it with 3dmark benches before anything.

@J95

Nvidia driver doesnt work with IG on.

And I am at wotk now(not with my r4), were we able to off sound in R4?

That is just an assumption. You cannot use the absence of visible results as an indicator of their testing. Uploading results to 3DMark is totally optional unless you are using the free versions, and it is not likely they are using the free versions. Even when you do upload, you can choose to hide benchmark results. I do that all the time and have many benchmark results in their database that are hidden and do not show up in search results or leader board ranking. I suspect they have tested it before offering it for sale.

I would contact them and ask for the vBIOS they are using for the Alienware 18. The worst thing that could happen is they refuse, and I cannot think or a good reason they would arbitrarily refuse to send that to you. Until you have for Prema and/or svl7 to examine, it we don't even know for certain there is something different about the Clevo 980M vBIOS versus Alienware that would make any difference. It may be interchangeable like the 780M vBIOS.

If you only have one to work with, how do you know the GPU is actually good? Maybe there is something wrong with it. Are you able to test it in a Clevo to see if a Clevo also fails to POST?

That is just an assumption. You cannot use the absence of visible results as an indicator of their testing. Uploading results to 3DMark is totally optional unless you are using the free versions, and it is not likely they are using the free versions. Even when you do upload, you can choose to hide benchmark results. I do that all the time and have many benchmark results in their database that are hidden and do not show up in search results or leader board ranking. I suspect they have tested it before offering it for sale.

I would contact them and ask for the vBIOS they are using for the Alienware 18. The worst thing that could happen is they refuse, and I cannot think or a good reason they would arbitrarily refuse to send that to you. Until you have for Prema and/or svl7 to examine, it we don't even know for certain there is something different about the Clevo 980M vBIOS versus Alienware that would make any difference. It may be interchangeable like the 780M vBIOS.

If you only have one to work with, how do you know the GPU is actually good? Maybe there is something wrong with it. Are you able to test it in a Clevo to see if a Clevo also fails to POST?

Yes you are right. I am just assuming. I've asked them to show me if they have any 3dmark result yesterday. If they were able to make that configuration, there wouldn't be any reason for them to just show the 3dmark result to me.

And I've changed the GPU. The Korean Clevo reseller has changed the GPU and still no go :(

I am like "alone in the dark".

One thing to add,

I have asked HID and ebay sellers who sells 980m and say it is compatible on alienware, just to give me a screen shot of device manager that show 980m in alienware. I also asked them how sure they are in regard of compatibility of 980m in alienware.

No one yet has answered. Still waiting for them.

The seller just hope that the cards work.

There is no AW vBIOS as Dell doesn't even offer the new cards...

Yeah you're right.

I was just hoping clevo msi 980m vbios would work on alienware as old days (780m 880m) and vise versa.

I guess not this time.

Since dell doens't sell 980m labtop, one of the "mighty" vbios modder has to do some work for us or we are all stuck in pre-maxwell era.