Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Stop being so cranky dude. Chin up.

My point was P170EM have Optimus. P570WM doesnt have Optimus.

I don`t understand why neither would work with AW18. Especially the P570WM vbios if its a different vbios than P150EM/170EM. The MUX/FN+F5 switching shouldnt be impacted by the type of vbios right? A different software does that.

So if you use a vbios from P570WM, what exactly is in the vbios that stops it from working?

Unless other stuff like the system BIOS say stop.

Weird stuff

I don`t understand why neither would work with AW18. Especially the P570WM vbios if its a different vbios than P150EM/170EM. The MUX/FN+F5 switching shouldnt be impacted by the type of vbios right? A different software does that.

So if you use a vbios from P570WM, what exactly is in the vbios that stops it from working?

Hey you making me cranky. You kept saying "I dont believe".

You gotta show respect if you dont want to be treated that way dude.

Maybe he's cranky because other companies are able to get the 980m to work while he can't. I'd get cranky too. I understand him.[emoji41]

In any case, his word is not Bible so I'd rather see more evidence than listening to one person.

Maybe he's cranky because other companies are able to get the 980m to work while he can't. I'd get cranky too. I understand him.[emoji41]

In any case, his word is not Bible so I'd rather see more evidence than listening to one person.

I have made 980m work in my AW17 and m17x R4. :)

But in optimus as other company.

No one has made it work in SLi or in non-optimus mode.

BTW I am cranky to HIM. not to anyone else.

BTW I am cranky to HIM. not to anyone else.

That's why I want these companies to benchmarks games to prove the 980m is really working. If they can't show proof, well the 980m installed on their AW unit is a facade.

I am just happy there is a bit of progress instead of none.

That's why I want these companies to benchmarks games to prove the 980m is really working. If they can't show proof, well the 980m installed on their AW unit is a facade.

I am just happy there is a bit of progress instead of none.

980M working with Optimus is indeed progress. Probably many that will be satisfied with using Optimus while waiting for a vbios from Dell or a mod from SVL and the gang :)

I`m extremely curious about AW18 and 980M/970M. Thats what matters most to me

980M working with Optimus is indeed progress. Probably many that will be satisfied with using Optimus while waiting for a vbios from Dell or a mod from SVL and the gang :)

Dell needs to be gracious to us by sending that vbios.

Haha when I think about it for the past few days, I was kinda skeptical that the 980m will work on the AW day one. I pray we get answers too.

Brother, will Eurocom tell you today with their progress?

No idea why but it doens't work without optimus now with current three vbios that I encountered.

Eurocom said they also have three. So at this point of time, I can surely tell you that the thing that you are curious extremely is "980m not work for AW18".

In regard of 970m, I have no idea. Never seen one yet.

For me, I have done pretty much I can do for now.

The only thing I've not done is testing gigabyte's vbios.

I or my folks in korean alienware forum will get one soon from a store that sells it.

- - - Updated - - -

980m that works in optimus can not be said " a progess " to me.

Because that's how I nvflashed from the first day.

Imagine how one can nvflash a gpu if it does not post with it.

Set it to optimus with fn+f5 then remove old GPU, switched to 980m.

She doens't want to be nvlfashed in DOS. Dont know why.

She can be nvlfashed in windows using only "simplified version of nvflash for stock vbios".

So for me, working in optimus is not a progress. I hope you understand what I mean.

Dell needs to be gracious to us by sending that vbios.

Haha when I think about it for the past few days, I was kinda skeptical that the 980m will work on the AW day one. I pray we get answers too.

Brother, will Eurocom tell you today with their progress?

Dell sending us the vbios? Hah dream on. They will much rather force us to buy expensive 980M cards from them or a new notebook. :P

I asked Eurocom few minutes ago. Will post if they respond.

No idea why but it doens't work without optimus now with current three vbios that I encountered.

Eurocom said they also have three. So at this point of time, I can surely tell you that the thing that you are curious extremely is "980m not work for AW18".

In regard of 970m, I have no idea. Never seen one yet.

For me, I have done pretty much I can do for now.

The only thing I've not done is testing gigabyte's vbios.

I or my folks in korean alienware forum will get one soon from a store that sells it.

- - - Updated - - -

980m that works in optimus can not be said " a progess " to me.

Because that's how I nvflashed from the first day.

Imagine how one can nvflash a gpu if it does not post with it.

Set it to optimus with fn+f5 then remove old GPU, switched to 980m.

She doens't want to be nvlfashed in DOS. Dont know why.

She can be nvlfashed in windows using only "simplified version of nvflash for stock vbios".

So for me, working in optimus is not a progress. I hope you understand what I mean.

Yeah I know what you mean. Optimus is not optimal anyway. I liked the MUX switching with my AW18. Would not be happy with my GPUs always running drawing power and producing heat like it does with Clevo SLI machines.

Im thinking about buying two 970M cards and trying out in an AW18 but currently I`m very sceptical because I have no knowledge with modding vbios or finding out why its not working. If 980M doesnt work, why should 970M? Unless there is something with the vbios on the Aorus cards.

Let us know if they guys from the Korean forum get it to work.

Optimus is pointless on a gaming rig. Who the hell play games/benchmark on iGPU anyway? Just pray that my 3D AW17 is gonna work with 980M. Forget 3D, once you go 120Hz you don't go back.

On a side note. What do you guys think about the so-called 'Alienware Graphics Amplifier'? Death warrant to MXM no?

Optimus is pointless on a gaming rig. Who the hell play games/benchmark on iGPU anyway? Just pray that my 3D AW17 is gonna work with 980M. Forget 3D, once you go 120Hz you don't go back.

On a side note. What do you guys think about the so-called 'Alienware Graphics Amplifier'? Death warrant to MXM no?

I'm with you there re the 120hz! The GA certainly gives them a head start on the modder community when all laptops come with soldered components :mad:...

Noob question. Don't laugh at me but what's the difference between optimus and non-optimus in a notebook? Is there a huge impact even if you got discreet gpu? Still the stronger GPU will play in 3d games right?

Noob question. Don't laugh at me but what's the difference between optimus and non-optimus in a notebook? Is there a huge impact even if you got discreet gpu? Still the stronger GPU will play in 3d games right?

Optimus (by nVidia, AMD equivalence is Enduro) activates the integrated (Intel) graphic card when the laptop runs on battery mode. It's one of the main selling points that manufacturers of ultrabooks and business laptops vigorously promote. But like I said, it's pointless on a gaming rig, considering how bulky and power-hungry the beast is.

On a 3D 120Hz Alienware the Intel integrated graphic chip is hardware-disabled by default and it runs solely on dGPU due to hardware restriction (at the moment iGPU only supports up to 60Hz refresh rate, whether that will change is entirely up to Intel).

• Thumbs Up 1

Lots to talk about optimus. I recommend you google.

Simple answer would be, every thing your dGPU (=980m) does will be shown to you not directly but throught your iGPU (=intel CPU internal graphic).

In this process, alot of things happen. CPU need more power, graphics especially Dx 9 will be very much influenced by it (=slows down) and even if it shows you 60fps, you will not feel like you are gaming in 60 fps.

Lots to talk about optimus. I recommend you google.

In this process, alot of things happen. CPU need more power, graphics especially Dx 9 will be very much influenced by it (=slows down) and even if it shows you 60fps, you will not feel like you are gaming in 60 fps.

But why only in 9XXm GPU's are affected with muxed nb's? vbios mod is the answer? If there's no revision of vbios, then AW18's only hope are AMD GPU's

But why only in 9XXm GPU's are affected with muxed nb's? vbios mod is the answer? If there's no revision of vbios, then AW18's only hope are AMD GPU's

No idea why.

I just wanted to talk about my experience about 980m on alienware.

I hope vbios can help us. If no revision, I'd rather keep using 780m than AMD.

Can't use "hope" and "AMD" in the same sentence. They are opposites and cancel each other out, LOL.

I think the short, but completely accurate answer, is that NVIDIA just screwed up... again. They never seem to be able to do good job on their vBIOS for some strange reason. So, both are crap and the difference is AMD is the brand holding the short straw right now and it seems they are content with maintaining their second place position in the food chain for a while longer.

HIDevolution has 980M working in the 17 now and should have the Alienware SLI setup sorted pretty soon. Even if it never happens, GTX 780M is superior to any mobile GPU AMD has available at this time, so it's definitely not the end of the world and nobody needs to settle for AMD or CrossFire only because they can't have 980M immediately.

Another question... If I upgrade to 120Hz monitor, 9xxm cards are compatible? 120hz monitor=3d right? Or it's only a fast refresh rate?

From the Specifications tab of 980M here's no mentioning of the 3D vision and some other features (G-Sync, Adaptive V sync, etc )which were in 880M and lesser revisions.

Plus I guess no one has ever tested 900M series in a 120Hz setup. "Maybe" the 3D vision works..because dropping off some cool features off new flagship is just BS !!

Another question... If I upgrade to 120Hz monitor, 9xxm cards are compatible? 120hz monitor=3d right? Or it's only a fast refresh rate?

You mean 120hz LCD right?

Since iGPU does not support 120hz LCD (there are two LCD ports in MOBO, one for 60, another for 120) , optimus will not work.

No optimus, no 980m.

From the Specifications tab of 980M here's no mentioning of the 3D vision and some other features (G-Sync, Adaptive V sync, etc )which were in 880M and lesser revisions.

Plus I guess no one has ever tested 900M series in a 120Hz setup. "Maybe" the 3D vision works..because dropping off some cool features off new flagship is just BS !!

Yeah, I couldn't believe the reduced feature set over the 880m! This is the first card from NV I have seen not supporting 3D Vision in many years - but I haven't followed mobile chips so can't be sure.

Just to play devils advocate, NV must be dropping 3D Vision so didn't bother adding it in! 120hz should still work but as we know without an iGPU nobody has managed to get past POST :(.

• Thumbs Up 2