Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

GeForce 353.06 PEG MOD

GeForce 353.06 PEG MOD >Throttling FIX<

I'm basically using v353.00 Kernel driver & nvapi, this will hold gaming 'OC' both core & vram 24/7. Benchmarks until shutdown, then it will drop core @1127, 'P-states matching' vram using NV Inspector 'startup task' P0 set core clock max stable OC using stock voltage, P1 set core @1127 as shown below. Installing this mod resets the card, therefore benching without throttling...enduring multiple reboots if necessary.

>v353.06 Regular mod< @1228/2933 stock voltage - Valley Extreme HD preset - >Right v353.06 PEG mod<

4QPZLPXh.png

e.g. P0 @1228/2933 -> P1 @1127/2933 >startup tasks<

iIYIql7.png

ok, i just switched my AW17 to dedcated mode with the 980M and so far it seems pretty stable in terms of system stability. will give it more time but so far i haven't seen any throttling in games or benchmarks like 3DMark11.

Eurocom said there's no difference between the kits.

Yeah, there is not really much of a difference. They are all getting the cards from Clevo direct, like their laptops are Clevo. They get trays and just box it. I was thinking of coming up with my own brand too, and getting some friends to do crazy decals on parts. Anyone wants to go into business ?

Anyways you got your card from me, I appreciate that. Feel free to add some feedback with your experience.

(funny how Eurocom, Xoticpc/Eon-Origin/Sager..are all the exact same laptops. Though, only I can get you truly great prices, usually 10-40% less then they are willing to give you.I think Eurocom is better though, but that's just cause I'm Canadian and so are they XD)

Yeah, there is not really much of a difference. They are all getting the cards from Clevo direct, like their laptops are Clevo. They get trays and just box it. I was thinking of coming up with my own brand too, and getting some friends to do crazy decals on parts. Anyone wants to go into business ?

Anyways you got your card from me, I appreciate that. Feel free to add some feedback with your experience.

(funny how Eurocom, Xoticpc/Eon-Origin/Sager..are all the exact same laptops. Though, only I can get you truly great prices, usually 10-40% less then they are willing to give you.I think Eurocom is better though, but that's just cause I'm Canadian and so are they XD)

i'm glad it all worked out. let us know how win 10 goes for you....make sure to run in UEFI if your system permits.

Yeah, Its a tough road, but I am going to try and guinea pig it on as many systems as possible, if only for the simple reason I spend 12 hours a day doing tech support for people who buy these cards from me anyways, might as well get real familiar with windows 10, cause I have a feeling its make it or break it !

imagine, windows 10 doesn't suck, and we can use PEG/Dedicated UEFI like in win-dohs ate/ate pointey one... it would be glorious ! I probably double sales for 3 months....

Try this... create a new Windows User account, assign it admin rights and log in. If the NVCP crashing problem is fixed, use the new account and remove the old one. Be sure to move any user-created files to a generic folder so you don't lose them when you delete the old account. If it is not fixed, then you're going to have to do a clean OS install or waste many hours in troubleshooting.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot when i have some free time tomorrow.

Wow!! After reading all 169 pages im tired. I mean there is still no clear picture for my question. I request any of you to see my question and reply to them please!! Im looking for a way to upgrade an alienware 18 to 980m sli. I currently do not have the laptop but i do plan to buy it if it has no problem running the 980m on sli. I don't care whether its windows 7 or windows 8.1. Can someone please tell me if the 980m sli is working on the alienware 18 and is it working properly? I dont plan to overclock and all but i want the sli to work good. And also re explain on how to do it.

Please dont ignore

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

Wow!! After reading all 169 pages im tired. I mean there is still no clear picture for my question. I request any of you to see my question and reply to them please!! Im looking for a way to upgrade an alienware 18 to 980m sli. I currently do not have the laptop but i do plan to buy it if it has no problem running the 980m on sli. I don't care whether its windows 7 or windows 8.1. Can someone please tell me if the 980m sli is working on the alienware 18 and is it working properly? I dont plan to overclock and all but i want the sli to work good. And also re explain on how to do it.

Please dont ignore

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

from what people have said, especially Mr. Fox, there's still throttling issues with SLI regardless of whether it's at stock speeds or overclocked and that's got to do with drivers. single GPU set ups, at least in my case, haven't seen any major throttling.

you may as well find a clevo/sager with SLI or the MSI Titan that has SLI instead of the AW18.

from what people have said, especially Mr. Fox, there's still throttling issues with SLI regardless of whether it's at stock speeds or overclocked and that's got to do with drivers. single GPU set ups, at least in my case, haven't seen any major throttling.

you may as well find a clevo/sager with SLI or the MSI Titan that has SLI instead of the AW18.

Thank you so much for the reply. But I'm not going to get the laptop anytime soon. Maybe like 3-4 months from now. So what do u suggest I should do? By that time will all the throttling problems be fixed with windows 10? I don't wanna go for MSI Titan because its way too ugly and Clevo doesn't look professional (by looks) I don't mind waiting for Alienware. Please suggest me what to do next? Wait for 980m sli to work or give up and have a high end 18 with 880m sli?

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

Thank you so much for the reply. But I'm not going to get the laptop anytime soon. Maybe like 3-4 months from now. So what do u suggest I should do? By that time will all the throttling problems be fixed with windows 10? I don't wanna go for MSI Titan because its way too ugly and Clevo doesn't look professional (by looks) I don't mind waiting for Alienware. Please suggest me what to do next? Wait for 980m sli to work or give up and have a high end 18 with 880m sli?

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

where would you source an AW18? i say wait till after Win 10 comes out....probably August and see if anything changes with regards to drivers. even so i think nvidia is really screwing the pooch on drivers.

where would you source an AW18? i say wait till after Win 10 comes out....probably August and see if anything changes with regards to drivers. even so i think nvidia is really screwing the pooch on drivers.

HIDevolution has them for sale yet. And sure I will do as you say and will wait. And also I mailed eurocom after I saw their YouTube video regarding installation of 880m on the alienware 18. Then I thought to ask them personally about the 980m when I saw the comments in the video asking about 980m, replies from eurocom for the comments was mainly that "980m sli works but has some serious throttling issues, we are working on that". But these comments were posted a month or 2 months back. So after I mailed them yesterday about 980m sli on Alienware 18. Today they sent me this...

"We are still testing to find out why throttling is occurring in some alienware 18 systems. We should have some update around Thursday this week. There is no issue with 8xx series but only 9xx series"

So let's see on Thursday what will they mail me and I told them too that they should do me a favour and update me whenever necessary. Hope this helped.

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

I'm currently using my M17xR4 with my newly installed GTX 980m

Using the drivers from the Eurocom guys, there doesn't seem to be any throttling whatsoever. (Here's where I got it from: Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware )

Though I would like to know how they go about modding the drivers to make them work for the laptop and prevent the throttling issue? Does anyone know?

HIDevolution has them for sale yet. And sure I will do as you say and will wait. And also I mailed eurocom after I saw their YouTube video regarding installation of 880m on the alienware 18. Then I thought to ask them personally about the 980m when I saw the comments in the video asking about 980m, replies from eurocom for the comments was mainly that "980m sli works but has some serious throttling issues, we are working on that". But these comments were posted a month or 2 months back. So after I mailed them yesterday about 980m sli on Alienware 18. Today they sent me this...

"We are still testing to find out why throttling is occurring in some alienware 18 systems. We should have some update around Thursday this week. There is no issue with 8xx series but only 9xx series"

So let's see on Thursday what will they mail me and I told them too that they should do me a favour and update me whenever necessary. Hope this helped.

Regards,

Diamondpoop98

If you have an Alienware now, Eurocom will give you a 15% discount if you want to switch to Clevo. @Prema has some great unlocked BIOS and vBIOS mods that are wonderful for Clevo owners.

The offer is good through June 30th. Use discount code AW150630EURO15ALL for the 15% discount. Enter this code into "configuration instructions" box when placing the order along your AW model and its service tag.

Clevo machines are not perfect, and no machine is flawless, but they have a couple of models that are much closer to the "old" Alienware products than the new ones are, especially in terms of configuration and performance capacity, as well as having all of the bells and whistles that Alienware decided none of us need any more... things like eSATA, ExpressCard, Firewire, etc., etc. USB 3.0 is nice enough, but it is not a replacement for everything else. You can even buy a dual-980M monster with an unlocked BIOS, socketed Extreme mobile or desktop hexacore CPU and dual 330W AC adapter setup like I had to build from scratch for my M18xR1/R2.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm currently using my M17xR4 with my newly installed GTX 980m

Using the drivers from the Eurocom guys, there doesn't seem to be any throttling whatsoever. (Here's where I got it from: Index of /support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware )

Though I would like to know how they go about modding the drivers to make them work for the laptop and prevent the throttling issue? Does anyone know?

@J95 is a real pro at Alienware driver mods for 980M throttling. He can help you out with modded drivers.

hello everyone

would anyone be kind enough to update me on status regarding 980m on 120hz m17x r4?currently on 680m and unlocked bios and vbios both(all thanks to svl7!)

last i heard it didnt go quite right and laptops were not booting

please direct me to the post or update me

i couldnt find the post(skimmed 10-15 pages or so)

thanks in advance

hello everyone

would anyone be kind enough to update me on status regarding 980m on 120hz m17x r4?currently on 680m and unlocked bios and vbios both(all thanks to svl7!)

last i heard it didnt go quite right and laptops were not booting

I got mine working on the 60Hz version, but heard the 120Hz screen shouldn't have a problem either.

You need to booting with UEFI and not Legacy though - which (I think) also means you need to be running windows 8. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

GeForce 353.38 Hotfix

• Win10/8.1 'F8' Boot options 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• Extract driver using 7-Zip
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite the proper .inf file
  • Extracted driver package -> run setup.exe

GeForce 353.38 Hotfix

Chrome Crashes/Freezes/TDRs
  • Delays when starting or switching apps & games with GSYNC enabled
    INF MOD v353.38 Win10/8.1
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated All Models (including Optimus/M17xR4) excluding AW 2015 - GTX 980M , 970M , 965M , 880M , 870M , 860M , 780M , 770M , 765M , 680M , 675MX , 670MX
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 353.38 HF Win7/8.1
    GeForce 353.38 HF Win10

Quick question guys. Im currently trying to upgrade my alienware 17 r1 which originally had a gtx 765m in it to a 980m.On day 2 now trying to figure this out.

I do understand the fact that I don't have a 100w heatsink but I guess ill risk using a 75watt one for now with a fan being directly pointed on it.

Now my question to the experts is the 980m I got was from a friends msi gt72. will a card from a MSI work properly in an Alienware 17? I've already "downgraded":sexy_girl: to windows 8.1 in a full uefi environment. I've installed one of Mr Fox driver mod drivers and the card gets recognized. Now here is the problem the card starts to throttle at only 51 degrees celcius. Is that because I did something wrong or is the vbios the culprit? I've tried some other newer drivers with an inf mod such as 352.86 and no go. Maybe Im doing something wrong. I download the original driver from NVidia. extract it to a certain location. download the nvcvi.inf file after that I copy it to the NVidia.driver folder prior to installation and yes I have also disabled driver Signature Enforcement. Unlike mister Fox's mod which actually works and includes 5 different files this one im trying only includes the .inf. If im wrong in my methodology can anyone point me in the correct direction?