Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

i am getting "inaccurate time measure" error in Firestrike, any ideas why it could be?
That happens sometimes with Windows 8.X.X because the RTC is messed up. Scores can be inflated when that happens and the Futuremark SystemInfo scanner detects it and flags the benchmark to invalidate the result when it does.
i have monitored the process more detailed and it looks like the CPU starts to throttle when i increase clock or voltage of 980m beyond certain limit. when i install Throttlestop it stops CPU throttling, but then my GPU starts throttling back to stock(P1). am i hitting my system TDP limit?
If you mean exhausting your 330W AC adapter, no... The behavior you are seeing is a common problem with 980M in the Alienware systems. My 980M SLI setup up did that most of the time when I was running them in my M18xR2. @Prema and @J95 have mods to help with that, and they are actively working on more. If you were exhausting the 330W AC adapter it would not be throttling. Your system would simply shut off due to lack of power, and often that will also trip the internal circuit breaker in the AC adapter. The green light on the AC adapter will go out and you will need to unplug it for a few seconds to let it reset and start working again. If neither of those things are happening, you are not overclocking hard enough to exhaust the capacity of the AC adapter. But, the throttling you are experiencing may actually be prevent that from happening. The GPUs draw far less power when the vBIOS and drivers throttle them like that.

As far as "resetting the cards" @J95 explained this here...

@Miguel Maroto Madrid

Now we will improve the score 2k min...;), this will allow you to OC for many hours. Reboot as many times necessary >TDRs<, shutting down will restore @1126.4 MHz OCing.

There are three ways to reset the card, simply enter the BIOS and re-apply BCLK current settings, another is using XTU to increase BCLK 'min frequency' and lastly is to install v344.75. The latter works 100%.

Please follow all the steps below.

• Uninstall current driver/DDU "Clean and Shutdown" option
  • Install GeForce 344.75 WHQL use this .inf nv_dispi.inf_v344.75 -> reboot.
  • After booting to desktop/windows fully loaded -> uninstall v344.75/DDU "Clean and Restart" >NOT< shutdown option.
  • Install GeForce 350.12 WHQL -> nv_dispi.inf_v350.12.zip -> reboot.
  • Start OCing using P0/P1 method, gradually increase frequencies.....Push the cards to the limits...:hell_boy: On your responsibility.

mr Fox, my system does shut down 1 sec straight away when i run Furmark with OC and the green light goes out on the PSU. look at video of power consumption J95 has linked to few posts up. it clearly shows that power consumption goes beyond 400watt sometimes, and i get around same fps and score result.

as i have written before, my GPU's do not throttle at all, but instead my CPU does. lowering CPU OC, helps to bring some more OC to the cards, and when i run CPU "free" application such as furmark, it allows much more OC and OV before the shut down.

i have worked on the Vbios i am using for some weeks now, to get it working the way i wanted it to. now i need someone with Dual PSU and unlocked system bios to test if it work with OC.

simple math: 2 980m cars, each has 125TDP. overvolting by 0.1V brings them to 137TDP, adding another 10% to the Core is already 140, give some more to the memory and we have 150Wat consumption with single card.

not much left for the Extreme CPU, right?

a little bit better

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4930MX,Alienware 01W2J2

i am using modded Svl7/johnksss. i have edited it to match stock, increased temp throttling limit, and changed all P1 and P0 freq to 1126mhz and bumbed up the memory clock.

i get around 20000 gpu score in Firestrike.

Can you please upload your modded vbios, stock clocks on svl7's vbios is what I have wanted ever since svl7 released it as my cards dont hold 1202Mhz @ 1.0V

As Prema said is a work in progress:

EUREKA!

3DMark FireStrike

3DMark Vantage:

<dt>Graphics Score 58609</dt><dt></dt><dt>Power consumption around 510 W. I need to improve my Dual PSU mod to prevent the laptop to shutdown. This is the first time it has such a peak power. </dt>

The wait is over :). Prema did it!

PS: We need to donate Prema, you don't know how much time and effort he gave to us to make this vbios come true. I lost the count of the vbios we tested so far and he was doing this procedure since the cards were released LOL! Insane work.

BRAVO PREMA BRAVO!

• Thumbs Up 1

FULL PURE UEFI NVFLASH WORKING!

Flashed from Prema to svl7 vbios mod in less than a minute both cards from pure UEFI system with this nvflash version:

Official link

NOTICE ABOUT NEW VERSION!! READ THIS!! (v5.218.0.1)

With the newest version of NVFlash landing on us (Thanks topway for letting me know!), you NO LONGER HAVE TO DISABLE YOUR CARD in the device manager. NVFlash will do this on it's own and re-enable it after it has flashed. Also, x86 and x64 versions come separate. So choose the correct one for your OS!!!

(Updated 4/30/2015) NVFLash certificate checks bypassed v5.218.0.1: (Use this one if you just want to mod your own BIOS.)

X64 Download Here

this is pure magic :)

• Thumbs Up 1

i've had around 15 980m cards and 10 970m cards, and non of them been DOA, nor died in the process of using, including OC.

cool. i'll have to come back for install instructions when/if i get a 970m.

Hello all. I have an m17x r4 and I'm about to outfit it with a 980m BT I have a few questions.

1. Will options still work with 980m

2. Does it still do 3d on the r4 with 120hz screens

3. I use a 330w adapter. Anyone know where or who can help with the attachment mod to unlock the full power of the 330w? I'll be happy to pay for it.

Thank you.

Someone needs to test this workaround, M18xR2 PEG Win7 Legacy BIOS Mode. A possible solution for M18xR1, M17xR3 & M17xR2 which lack UEFI support.

@TBoneSan tried this and it didn't work, but back then these settings were not used "Always Enable PEG" Enabled & "Monitor/ input selection e.g. when using HDMI 1 set input to HDMI 2"

...;) M18xR2...? @Peter18x @TBoneSan

120Hz AWs will need a 'backup card' 680M or 780M in case something goes wrong (BIOS reset).
  • BIOS -> IGP 'Auto' -> 'Disabled' -> PCI Express Graphic -> "Always Enable PEG" Enabled -> Peripheral Configuration -> Serial Port A Disabled -> "Azalia" Disabled -> Boot options -> "Boot List Option" LEGACY -> Exit menu "Save without exit option" -> Power Off.
  • Plug HDMI cable/external monitor -> Monitor/ input selection e.g. when using HDMI 1 set input to HDMI 2 >No scanning whatsoever< Finally Power ON.
  • Install win7/MBR.
    Win7/MBR - Legacy BIOS Mode.
    BfdkjkZ.png

OiWblVs.png
    hXwkltI.png
    Win7/MBR - Legacy BIOS Mode.
    BfdkjkZ.png
    Win7/GPT - UEFI/Legacy option ROM
    nRnfogP.png

Where do I find the options to set the display output source to a port other than the one being used? I cannot find that BIOS option anywhere. Does it only magically appear as a new menu option when an external display is connected and go away when it is disconnected? I never use an external monitor with my Alienware systems. Is that why I cannot find it anywhere in the BIOS?

Edit: Wait... are you are talking about a manual setting on the monitor itself? Meaning, from your monitor OSD configuration and input selection, choose an input option other than what is actually connected?

I let these tests to show what could be used by everyone without a DUAL PSU needed at least the SLI (normal voltage) the CPU is heavily overclocked and its draining a lot of power so if you run it at less frequency you could easily have this kind of results, I think it is a quite good example of what you can expect of this GPUs in conjunction with the M18X-R2 at least is what I found during this test. Hope this will be helpful to you.

FireStrike:

3DMark 11:

P18227

Where do I find the options to set the display output source to a port other than the one being used? I cannot find that BIOS option anywhere. Does it only magically appear as a new menu option when an external display is connected and go away when it is disconnected? I never use an external monitor with my Alienware systems. Is that why I cannot find it anywhere in the BIOS?

Edit: Wait... are you are talking about a manual setting on the monitor itself? Meaning, from your monitor OSD configuration and input selection, choose an input option other than what is actually connected?

Yep, exactly. Edited my previous post.

Someone needs to test this workaround, M18xR2 PEG Win7 Legacy BIOS Mode. A possible solution for M18xR1, M17xR3 & M17xR2 which lack UEFI support.

@TBoneSan tried this and it didn't work, but back then these settings were not used "Always Enable PEG" Enabled & "Monitor/ input selection e.g. when using HDMI 1 set input to HDMI 2"

for external monitor only?

Hi everyone,

I got a new Alienware 17 r2 2015 laptop a few days ago (the one with the 4GB 980m).

I'd like to know if I can use one of the vbios by sv17 or by Prema.

I mean, I could also do the test, but I don't actually know if after flashing

I will be able to restore the previous vbios (of which I already have a safe copy).

My goal is to unlock the core clock and over voltage.

Any help or suggestion is well accepted :)

Thank you very much

Hi everyone,

I got a new Alienware 17 r2 2015 laptop a few days ago (the one with the 4GB 980m).

I'd like to know if I can use one of the vbios by sv17 or by Prema.

I mean, I could also do the test, but I don't actually know if after flashing

I will be able to restore the previous vbios (of which I already have a safe copy).

My goal is to unlock the core clock and over voltage.

Any help or suggestion is well accepted :)

Thank you very much

I wont do anything without the ok of slv7 or Prema.

Certainly that's why was wondering

Neither VBIOS will work.. The new AW17 has the VBIOS integrated into the system one hence someone will need to mod the system Bios like Premamod for Clevo laptops..