Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@J95

Thanks for your nvidia mod. Really appreciate your work.

So you got 980m for your own :)

You are using it on win8.1 right? There is still no way to use 980m win7 without optimus (or 3D m17x R4)?

I have both, UEFI/GPT + CSM (triple boot) & Legacy BIOS mode/MBR (e-sata) nvflash'ing 120Hz/PEG AWs nvflash'ing 900M series - Legacy BIOS Mode

No hay manera de desbloquear los fans mesa AW18? Esa impotencia ver corriendo a 3700rpm, 3500rpm y 3300rpm cuando debería ir al menos 3800rpm! Qué decepción este 18 con el tema de las biografías, los fans, no tiene nada que ver con mi m17xR4. Con el tiempo voy a tener que tomar la AW18 para la automatización de oficinas, visto lo visto! Por suerte me desahogo mi torre "http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/4882753" ......

That tremendous disappointment this 18.

GeForce 347.90 MS Update

GeForce 347.90 MS Update

*Optimus*/AW switch to Integrated before installing drivers.

@godfafa v347.90 best driver so far.

'PEG/Unlocked vBIOS throttling fix' after I was able to flash the card (Win7 full Legacy BIOS mode...impossible too...;)) it only took me a few minutes to figure this out 'GPU-Z logging'...;) Not even fluctuating 1113 MHz like stock vBIOS & clock-blocked drivers. Another fix for OCing, but I still don't know if it is even possible to implement...nada.

Valley Extreme HD preset.

GPU-Z Sensor Log_v347.88.txt

GPU-Z Sensor Log_v347.90.txt

Guys,

Alienware 17 A14 GTX 970M (originally 880M) running Windows 8.1 UEFI, legacy off. Optimus on, 240W PSU.

My card:

post-29227-1449499967615_thumb.jpg

my card id:

10DE 13D8 05AA 1028

After a fresh new installation of windows 8.1 and the modded driver 347.25 (and many others) that I downloaded here in forum I got this problem:

(its a short video that shows my stuck after windows boot)

http://youtu.be/MYbHl_xGjX0

https://mega.co.nz/#!4kwQQZLL!TIZGLMr7IkOUFC3xParX9z0WvsgDvGoN878p8IAbV_4

a print from safe mode:

post-29227-14494999678925_thumb.jpg

I have tested with windows 7 too and sistem boots pretty well and the driver installation are fine, but after the first restart the sistem becomes unstable and starts to freeze

I'm freaking out :'(

With respect to Windows 7, your system is functioning normally. UEFI, Legacy off, does not work for Windows 7. There have been a few one-off examples of where it works, but 99.9% of the time Windows 7 will freeze at the Welcome screen (before Logon or Desktop) without Legacy/CSM support enabled in the BIOS. Why one system can boot Windows 7 without Legacy support enabled and another seemingly identical model will not remains a mystery. If you do a Google search on this topic you will find endless examples of people looking for a solution to this problem. Some newer low-budget laptops lack the BIOS feature to enable Legacy/CSM support and those people will find themselves forever stuck with a Windows 8 or newer OS and no capability to "downgrade" to the superior Windows 7 OS.

The sad part of this is Alienware systems (those before the new BGA turds) are not 100% compatible with Maxwell GPUs. To run in discrete graphics mode (no Optimus) you must use a pure UEFI environment, which means you won't be able to run Windows 7 unless are you have one of the extremely rare one-off examples of a system that will somehow boot Windows 7 without Legacy support enabled in the BIOS. With a single GPU system and Optimus enabled, you can boot with a Maxwell GPU installed with Legacy support because the system will boot using the Intel HD Graphics. If Optimus is disabled and Legacy enabled, the system will fail to POST with 8 beeps because the system BIOS has a compatibility problem with Maxwell GPUs.

With respect to Windows 8.X.X you need to install it in UEFI mode, to GPT disks with EFI bootable media or you will have problems like Windows 7. There are specific steps to follow during Windows Setup to install Windows 8.X in UEFI mode or it defaults to Legacy mode, which is not compatible with a no Legacy (pure UEFI) BIOS setting.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/25561-windows-8-install-uefi-mode.html

https://codechief.wordpress.com/2013/02/14/how-to-setup-windows-8-in-uefi-bios-in-uefi-mode/

Sorry for the accent this person has, but it was the first YouTube example that popped up on my Google search. If you find it difficult to understand what he is saying, I am sure there are other videos that are similar if you search for them.

You goddamn right! My system are not capable to run with optimus on, I just turned it off and EVERYTHING WORKS NOW OMG! :D

I've tryed it before but the legacy was on I did not realized that was a problem, so now with the legacy off, I was capable to turn optimus off with no problem

GeForce 347.90 MS Update

This MS update driver is was available for both Win10 TP build 10041 & Win8.1, includes Optimus fix (CPL), Miracast, dynamic update and CUDA 7.0.31

ManuelG referring to v347.90

kvQkmnI.png

More lies from Nvidia...Alienware 17/M17x & AW18/M18x (PEG) throttling implementation, constant P0 P1 switching was removed from this driver and OCing truly restored, unlike 347.88 throttling mess, proving that AW throttling is intentional 'nvlddmkm.sys' (prior to clock-block drivers & FW) totally different behavior when compared to previous version (OCing workaround) which only lasts a few hours without throttling. The fact that NV removed throttling and/or other methods to hinder performance is probably due to Win10 TP telemetry and performance issues.

Microsoft promptly pulled 347.90 MS Update catalog, included INFs: nv_whql.inf Desktop and Mobile, single OEM nvdm.inf/Dell >GA aberration installation issues< "All OEMs"...;)

Ref. GeForce 347.90 MOD AW GTX 980M 970M

http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/9434-geforce-347-90-mod-desktop-mobile-900-series.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey help needed.

A friend of mine not fluent in english has a R5 with 120hz panel D02. last bios A14. Boot is ok, but impossible to install drivers even with inf modded. It still goes blackscreen with w8.1. Oc i know i can't boot on igpu.

Here are some bios settings :

Na mistake from him.

Question with modded drivers : do you use generic inf modded, or mod yourself ?

Edit : ok put the right bios settings, installed drivers with inf modded provided first page = > black screen on either 120hz panel or external monitor, with failure on installation program.

His id is : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028&REV_A1

Looks the same in inf provided.

Thx avance

Hey help needed.

A friend of mine not fluent in english has a R5 with 120hz panel D02. last bios A14. Boot is ok, but impossible to install drivers even with inf modded. It still goes blackscreen with w8.1. Oc i know i can't boot on igpu.

Here are some bios settings :

Na mistake from him.

Question with modded drivers : do you use generic inf modded, or mod yourself ?

Edit : ok put the right bios settings, installed drivers with inf modded provided first page = > black screen on either 120hz panel or external monitor, with failure on installation program.

His id is : PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D7&SUBSYS_05AE1028&REV_A1

Looks the same in inf provided.

Thx avance

Somewhat on this topic.

I spoke with mysn.de from where I bought my XMG clevo based laptop with custom choice parts. I wanted to know the possibility to upgrade my CLEVO P370EM with nvidia 680m to 980m.

They told me they couldn't or didn't have supported upgrade options nor sold GPU's separate. But in chatting with them I found out that a modded vBIOS for CLEVO P370EM would work with the 980m even if its unsupported by both devs. So question is if anyone happen to have such a modded vBIOS out there?

GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05

GeForce Hotfix driver 350.05

Battlefield Hardline - crash with Direct X error message on some systems
  • Dragon Age: Inquisition - TDR crash
  • PhysX 9.15.0324
    nv_dispi.inf: PEG/Dedicated & Optimus/M17xR4.
    nvcvi.inf: Optimus Alienware 17 / 05AA (only) GTX 980M - 970M - 965M
    GeForce 350.05 HF

@chiefule Try installing 350.05 using nv_dispi.inf, check throttling stock clocks. Soon modded .inf that removes throttling/stock clocks.

nv_dispi.inf_v350.05_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nvcvi.inf_v350.05_Optimus_Alienware_17_GTX_980M_970M_965M.zip

Somewhat on this topic.

I spoke with mysn.de from where I bought my XMG clevo based laptop with custom choice parts. I wanted to know the possibility to upgrade my CLEVO P370EM with nvidia 680m to 980m.

They told me they couldn't or didn't have supported upgrade options nor sold GPU's separate. But in chatting with them I found out that a modded vBIOS for CLEVO P370EM would work with the 980m even if its unsupported by both devs. So question is if anyone happen to have such a modded vBIOS out there?

You can use a 980M in a P370EM.. All you need to do is flash Prema's modded Bios and EC from his website... This has to be done with your 680Ms inserted... Then you can replace them with 980Ms, install driver and flash either Prema's or svl7 modded 980M vBIOS...

very good

Try running Valley (stock clocks) to check throttling, GPU-Z logging. PEG/AW17, M17x, AW18, M18x, I'm working on a fix for stock throttling...feedback appreciated...;)

My test

post-3012-14494999752571_thumb.png

@Riri-Fifi pretty good, dropped to P1 only once. Run DDU and re-install v350.05 using this .inf mod (stock throttling removed), hopefully it won't mess up GFE. Repeat test & settings + GPU-Z logging.

- - - Updated - - -

AW17/M17x & AW18/M18x (PEG) Stock Throttling Removed (P1 switching) . Optimus .inf option available HERE

nv_dispi.inf_v350.05_PEG.zip