Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@szczurek512 - GTX 980M (single or SLI) does not work properly on the M18xR2 or Alienware 18. If you use a stock vBIOS and don't try to overclock, it will be slightly better stock than overclocked 780M. If you want 980M to work correctly, you will need to wait for a fix to surface or get something else. I put the 780M SLI back into my M18xR2. If you use a modded vBIOS and try overclocking, you are going to have poor performance due to severe throttling. The crappy drivers that block overclocking help, but they do not fix it.

Here is how 980M SLI is supposed to work...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/5826830 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9405275
http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/5218884 http://www.catzilla.com/showresult?lp=430827

Overclocking options are still broken!

Systematically/every day keep posting on Official NVIDIA 347.52 WHQL Driver Feedback Thread >VPN<...mobile is the least of their concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

Modded nv_dispi.inf (Desktop entries) nv_dispi.inf_v347.52_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

Modded nvcvi.inf(1) (Clevo) nvcvi(1)_v347.52_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M.zip

GeForce 347.52 WHQL

Lol at nvidia link. The ability to overclock on notebooks is apparently 'a bug'. Pretty sure that's not what 'bugs' mean if you're just putting in a line of code telling the drivers to lock the feature.

On a single 330 power brick with a 4.2 on all cores processor overclock, I get a score of 9503 on firestrike with a gpu overclock. I had it at 9656 stable on firestrike but I had to go down some because the Heaven benchmark wasn't stable. Without an overclock, I was getting 8470. So that's a pretty big difference. I guess these forums need to make mods for unlocking overclocking for the drivers now :P

I was hoping to get 10k on firestrike but I guess that's not possible on a single brick.

So guys I am upgrading from 765M to 970M and I am been following this thread for alomst 2 months now , just few Q.

I have AW17 R1 with Win 8.1 UEFI and 60Hrz Monitor

970M should be plug and play expect for the Modded drivers ?

Will I lose the HDMI in functionality ?

Will i Lose optimus ?( I like Optimus )

will the modded driver works from Laptopvideo2go ?

Thank you guys all of you .

I dunno about alienware but I know that my clevo needed help with installing the drivers. I just installed Prema's bios and vbios and everything was good. I still have hdmi so I guess yours will still have it to. I'm unsure about optimus but I haven't heard anything about it. I know that internal 3D didn't work anymore tho. Laptopvid2go drivers worked but prema's mod allows me to install new drivers without them. Dont go past 344.80 though if you want to overclock. If I remember correctly, if you stay on those, you won't be able to use GFE until you update. But I don't really care about GFE because of the drm.

No, hdmi will work ( at least the hdmi in for sure as i tried)

Optimus is better for performance and easy way for installing driver.

You can use laptop2video. if you need more help i make a video tutorial how to upgrade to 980m but 970m should be same.

hi there, I started to read this thread there are few weeks but there is too big now, just for my information, it is possible to install correctly this 980m on windows 7 ? I seen problem with UEFI, what is the problem ?

Or it is necessary to use windows 8 for work properly ? (windows 8 is a bullshit)

hi there, I started to read this thread there are few weeks but there is too big now, just for my information, it is possible to install correctly this 980m on windows 7 ? I seen problem with UEFI, what is the problem ?

Or it is necessary to use windows 8 for work properly ? (windows 8 is a bullshit)

You can use it on Win7 but only with Optimus, it won't boot if you switch to dedicated mode. You need UEFI boot with Win8 to use dedicated mode, but then there are throttling issues. Basically 980m only works correctly with Optimus in the AW.

...;) M18xR2...? @Peter18x @TBoneSan

120Hz AWs will need a 'backup card' 680M or 780M in case something goes wrong (BIOS reset).
  • BIOS -> IGP 'Auto' -> 'Disabled' -> PCI Express Graphic -> "Always Enable PEG" Enabled -> Peripheral Configuration -> Serial Port A Disabled -> "Azalia" Disabled -> Boot options -> "Boot List Option" LEGACY -> Exit menu "Save without exit option" -> Power Off.
  • Plug HDMI cable/external monitor -> Monitor/ input selection e.g. when using HDMI 1 set input to HDMI 2 >No scanning whatsoever< Finally Power ON.
  • Install win7/MBR.
    Win7/MBR - Legacy BIOS Mode.
    BfdkjkZ.png

OiWblVs.png
    hXwkltI.png
    Win7/MBR - Legacy BIOS Mode.
    BfdkjkZ.png
    Win7/GPT - UEFI/Legacy option ROM
    nRnfogP.png

• Thumbs Up 4

...;) M18xR2...? @Peter18x @TBoneSan

• BIOS -> Peripheral Configuration -> Serial Port A Disabled -> Azalia Disabled -> Boot options -> Legacy -> Save without exit option -> Power Off.
  • Plug HDMI cable external monitor -> Power ON
  • Install win7 spare or external drive.
  • Flash svl7's & Johnksss' unlocked vbios http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8560-nvidia-maxwell-vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions.html
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]14211[/ATTACH]
    BIOS tweaking - Removing Throttling...15min...;)
  • PCI Express Graphics -> PEG0 PEG1 PEG2 PEG3 set all to 'GEN3' -> 'Always enable PEG' enabled
  • SA DMI configuration -> 'DMI Link ASPM Control' Disabled
  • PCI Express -> Port2 (Graphics) ASPM Auto set to disabled
    Install GeForce v345.09 from HERE, match NV drivers 347.xx voltage offset +62.5mV and increase Power Target. Set startup task...;)

Very cool, I'm assuming I'd still need to swap each 980m to primary to flash?

Or does this method finally skip this requirement?

Very cool, I'm assuming I'd still need to swap each 980m to primary to flash?

Or does this method finally skip this requirement?

Nope, this is full Legacy BIOS Mode so you don't need to swap cards (IGP disabled). Use HWinfo or AIDA64 to detect the corresponding PCI express ports.

Awesome! I can't wait to try. So this has effectively removed throttling then?

Win7/MBR are basically for flashing the cards and 3DMark11/stock (sound card disabled), the other BIOS settings + NV Inspector will remove throttling for Gaming but not extreme OCing.

post-3012-14494999535296_thumb.png

Edit: Core throttling, at least flashing is not a problem anymore for 120Hz AWs...M18xR2?

Is it necessary to always use NI to mitigate throttling?

Followed your instructions..

Now have a black screen 8 beep code. Any ideas?

I've tried removing HDDs, CMOS flash.. Can't get things back... I'm stuck in Legacy mode and can't switch back.

Now I got to tear this thing down a million times to get it back.. @#$&

Is it necessary to always use NI to mitigate throttling?

Followed your instructions..

Now have a black screen 8 beep code. Any ideas?

I've tried removing HDDs, CMOS flash.. Can't get things back... I'm stuck in Legacy mode and can't switch back.

Now I got to tear this thing down a million times to get it back.. @#$&

Beeps are related to a bad hdmi connection, clearing cmos means you will need to boot using igp without the 980Ms installed.

Did you disable Serial Port A & Azalia...?