Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Windows 8.1

Run DDU/Safe mode, Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• GeForce 345.09 OEM
  • Extract driver w/ 7-Zip.
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite NVMI.inf
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe
    -> NVMI.inf(1) Dedicated/Optimus disabled and/or PEG <-
    -> NVMI.inf(2) Optimus users <-

NVMI.inf(1)_v345.09_AW_PEG_Dedicated_GTX_980M_970M.zip

NVMI.inf(2)_v345.09_AW_Optimus_GTX_980M_970M.zip

Hi, I have M17X R4, previously I had AMD 7970M. I bought GTX 980M Clevo card and installed it in with VBIOS 84.04.22.00.10. I have problem that new GTX 980M is not visible in BIOS, I can't disable iGPU (disable Optimus) there is no such an option.

Is it possible to run GTX 980M with stock BIOS ? I have M17X R4 BIOS version A13 (stock). Tried to install Windows 8 in LEGACY and UEFI mode, and there is only visible Intel HD Graphics nothing more.

In BIOS i see that DISCRETE CARD: [not detected]: Do you have any ideas, how to run this GTX 980M ?

Windows 8.1

• Run DDU/Safe mode, Clean and Shutdown
  • F8 Boot options. 'Safe Mode' & 'Disable driver Signing'
    cmd (Admin)
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

-> reboot -> F8 -> select 'Disable Driver Signature Enforcement' -> Install drivers.

• GeForce 345.09 OEM
  • Extract driver w/ 7-Zip.
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite NVMI.inf
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe
    -> NVMI.inf(1) Dedicated/Optimus disabled and/or PEG <-
    -> NVMI.inf(2) Optimus users <-

Brother j95, thanks for the driver tweak. Looks like minor improvement from this MSI driver. There is still a crap ton of throttling that ruins things, but I did see much longer duration spurts of 540W-560W power draw between deep clock drops using stock vBIOS and no overclock whatsoever with a single 330W AC adapter. So, it's moving in the right direction even though 980M SLI still does not function well.

Yes, I did that but was not satisfied with the outcome seeing the memory throttled. Using my dual PSU does not really provide any value because the throttle is triggered at a power consumption level that is well within the capacity of a single 330W AC adapter. Whatever is triggering it from the BIOS or EC does not recognize that +600W of power is on tap.

I am at the point of not wanting to mess with it any more. I'm enjoying playing with my M18xR1 with 780M SLI more than I am my pride and joy R2 with 980M SLI and that is pretty sad when you stop and think about it. I'll settle down after I get my P570WM so I can enjoy owning 980M SLI. This was the worst use of $1500 that I can remember spending my money on in recent history, LOL.

haha for me it does not throttle while playin games, im happy with it :) Anyway Dell has just released 980m driver. Unfortunately Dell 980m driver throttles card a lots, even while playing games. I dont think there is solution for this. may be future version fix it. lol you already ordered P570WM :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Brother j95, thanks for the driver tweak. Looks like minor improvement from this MSI driver. There is still a crap ton of throttling that ruins things, but I did see much longer duration spurts of 540W-560W power draw between deep clock drops using stock vBIOS and no overclock whatsoever with a single 330W AC adapter. So, it's moving in the right direction even though 980M SLI still does not function well.

With SLI disabled, no throttling. Got P12691 in 3DMark 11. Will post a screen shot and link here in a bit, along with a photo of the max watts draw from the UPS.

Edit: ran it again and a little bit higher score. Didn't bother uploading it to to Futuremark because it won't win any contests with a stock vBIOS and +135 limit... good result, but not great for 980M potential.

post-119-14494999245558_thumb.jpg

I've been following this thread from the start since I am insterested in buying 2 980M's to replace the 7970's in my M18x R2.

Since the reason for this throttling issues seems to be total power consumption and all of you have overclocked XM CPUs and my CPU is a 3840QM (no OC) what do you think will happen?

Do you think it will make any difference or the throttling will be the same?

Has anyone with a non-XM CPU tried running 980M SLI (no OC) in M18x R2?

With SLI disabled, no throttling. Got P12691 in 3DMark 11. Will post a screen shot and link here in a bit, along with a photo of the max watts draw from the UPS.

Edit: ran it again and a little bit higher score. Didn't bother uploading it to to Futuremark because it won't win any contests with a stock vBIOS and +135 limit... good result, but not great for 980M potential.

Clearly the driver/software team was not ready for Maxwell to start with...many users are reporting issues with desktop 980/970 including performance, desktop specific fixes & compatibility...aka battery boost or more drastic ones (speculation). Essentially desktop & mobile drivers are the same and mobile is the least of their concerns, as always...removing OCing options with no explanation whatsoever...:)

Could you try v345.09 w/ unlocked vbios...just one card, I can't test anything until the freaking card finally arrives >5th customs.

haha for me it does not throttle while playin games, im happy with it :) Anyway Dell has just released 980m driver. Unfortunately Dell 980m driver throttles card a lots, even while playing games. I dont think there is solution for this. may be future version fix it.

180W PSU...they need to throttle...:D Did you try installing v345.09?

@TBoneSan

@godfafa

@mikecacho

@faritas90

Windows 8.1

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 did you just edit your post? cosz i've tried previously posted inf. Well system restart fine no black screen. So i enable SLI and ran 3dmark11. Unfortunately cards did throttle and got blackscreen, then gettin blackscreen on every restart.

@Peter18x yep, different entries.

@mikecacho

Before ordering a new MOBO, try a BIOS reset this time unplug the screen LVDS cable & remove GPU. Power on -> beeps -> Power off -> once more power on -> power off -> Plug screen LVDS cable (gpu removed) -> again, reset the BIOS.

Just skip the above If you already blind flashed the BIOS.

@mikecacho

Before ordering a new MOBO, try a BIOS reset this time unplug the screen LVDS cable & remove GPU. Power on -> beeps -> Power off -> once more power on -> power off -> Plug screen LVDS cable (gpu removed) -> again, reset the BIOS.

Just skip the above If you already blind flashed the BIOS.

Yeah, i already tried blind flash. When i install the drivers on the OEM card it will sometimes recognize the card and sometimes wont, the BIOS picks up the card correctly.

This is probably the wrong thread but just wanted to let you guys know I just ordered a sagar np9377 with 980m sli. By by alienware it was nice well it lasted. But I am on to bigger and better things. Only gaming laptop I've ever owned was my 17 with 770m. And six monthes after buying it I was kicking my self in the but for not buying the model with the top spec gpu. And after all the hassle with trying to upgrade it to 980m I just decide to walk away from it and start new with something that works the way it's supposed to. Just got email conformation of my order number about 10 minutes ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

@J95 Yeahh I think single 980m on R2 can perform better sometimes if it wants too clear.png 3DMark 11 Graphics score 16321 (Single 980m Alienware m18x R2)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3940XM,Alienware M18xR2

980m1.jpg

Fire Strike score 10295, Graphics score 12061 (Single 980m Alienware m18x R2)

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3932054

980m1_fs.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

This is probably the wrong thread but just wanted to let you guys know I just ordered a sagar np9377 with 980m sli. By by alienware it was nice well it lasted. But I am on to bigger and better things. Only gaming laptop I've ever owned was my 17 with 770m. And six monthes after buying it I was kicking my self in the but for not buying the model with the top spec gpu. And after all the hassle with trying to upgrade it to 980m I just decide to walk away from it and start new with something that works the way it's supposed to. Just got email conformation of my order number about 10 minutes ago.

Nice! I'll see how I go in a few months.

I'm selling my 980m card from hidevolution to someone on ebay and the buyer wants to know if it's a clevo card because he has a clevo. I'm not sure what to tell him. Can someone help me out . Doe anyone know what the cards from hidevolution are.