Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

so i would need to turn it off enforcement > install drivers > turn on enforcement?

still trying to wrap my head around it and what the "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes" command does and whether it needs to be done in the normal run time or in safe mode.

I've never used win8 so I'm not a great source of info. I'm assuming that 8.1 added in the ability to get to this setting in the interface. Originally the only way was a low-level command issued directly at a command prompt (There is a hot-key I believe in win 8 to bring this up..).

So, I'm guessing you no longer need it but J95 or someone else can confirm that.

I've never used win8 so I'm not a great source of info. I'm assuming that 8.1 added in the ability to get to this setting in the interface. Originally the only way was a low-level command issued directly at a command prompt (There is a hot-key I believe in win 8 to bring this up..).

So, I'm guessing you no longer need it but J95 or someone else can confirm that.

billyxq told me that's what they did when installing their 980M. they said

1.) boot into safe mode, remove ALL nvidia drivers with DDU, choose shutdown option

2.) Unplug PSU/ battery, do 30 second power drain, apply paster, install GPU

3.) boot into windows, alt + x input this command: bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

4.) windows button + c -> setting-> change windows setting ->update and recovery->recovery -> advance startup

5.) choose disable driver signature enforcement

6.) Install drivers and u're done icon7.gif

and in dedicated mode too.

billyxq told me that's what they did when installing their 980M. they said

and in dedicated mode too.

Seems like duplication to me, no wonder your confused. You turn on testsigning at the start and then turn it off in the interface? Strange. Surely a typo but I'd have to play with it and see just what is needed!

As I've said in other threads, if you have an nvidia driver installed you probably do not even need to use DDU, I didn't (for many NV card swaps) and not had any issues. The 9xx cards are at the best finicky so all bets are off IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in optimus mode if I disable igpu my computer won't work. ?

I haven't installed any drivers for gpu since I installed it. I guess I will tackle that next .

That should clear up any anomolies. From what I have read so far you cannot disable the iGPU in the BIOS without having boot problems, but the FN-Fkey function is said to work.

Seems like duplication to me, no wonder your confused. You turn on testsigning at the start and then turn it off in the interface? Strange. Surely a typo but I'd have to play with it and see just what is needed!

As I've said in other threads, if you have an nvidia driver installed you probably do not even need to use DDU, I didn't (for many NV card swaps) and not had any issues. The 9xx cards are at the best finicky so all bets are off IMO.

thanks for clarifying Mickyd1234. so i...

1) uninstall the old nvidia drivers

2) reboot into safe mode

3) clear out with DDU

4) reboot to disable driver signing enforcement

5) install drivers

6) reboot to enable driver signing enforcement

Next question is Wich driver do I install. Just the most stable and working at this point in time would be fine. Does someone have one that is already modded for the 17 with 980 that I can just download and install. Do I need to make one or mod an inf. Whatever that is .?. Or can I just go to nvidia site and download latest driver for 980m and install. I'm confused .

thanks for clarifying Mickyd1234. so i...

1) uninstall the old nvidia drivers

2) reboot into safe mode

3) clear out with DDU

4) reboot to disable driver signing enforcement

5) install drivers

That should be good but personally I'd start at 4. If your driver will not install, stripping out the existing can cause more problems.

Just remember I have not tried a 980 so I can only say what I have read along with my own theories. You might even find the existing driver works perfectly, mine did on the 680m!

That should be good but personally I'd start at 4. If your driver will not install, stripping out the existing can cause more problems.

Just remember I have not tried a 980 so I can only say what I have read along with my own theories. You might even find the existing driver works perfectly, mine did on the 680m!

so my assumption is driver signing enforcement is something i can turn off/on when i need to?

1) reboot to disable driver signing enforcement

2) uninstall the old nvidia drivers

3)reboot into safe mode

4) clear out with DDU and reboot

5) install new drivers

Next question is Wich driver do I install. Just the most stable and working at this point in time would be fine. Does someone have one that is already modded for the 17 with 980 that I can just download and install. Do I need to make one or mod an inf. Whatever that is .?. Or can I just go to nvidia site and download latest driver for 980m and install. I'm confused .

cloudfire says that the 347.25 drivers are working without modding but still needs to be proved first :P

EDIT: looks like he confirmed it - http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/769766-geforce-347-25-driver-released-whql-8.html#post9903054

also, anyone with 8.1 and UEFI can confirm if using the F8 to get the safe mode boot menu works that would be great :)

Should I install g force experience or not. The only thing I ever used it for before updating my gpu drivers an that was it.?

Sorry for all the questions.

i don't think it makes a difference really.

First-ever AW17 3D & M17x R3/R4 3D boot using IGP...:D

Problem is it works only under true UEFI, vbios flashing... @svl7

If you look carefully you'll see another..........:D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13755[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13735[/ATTACH]

So, finally got some time. Just got my AW17 back together and running. I can do that as well:

post-80-14494999234817_thumb.jpg

But how is that going to help? The active display is still the discrete graphics and not the Intel HD. How is this useful? I must be missing something.

post-80-14494999234591_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. Could you name the thread for me because there is no link.so I know we're to look thanks

There's a specific post in this thread.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-98.html#post118582

I bookmarked this cos i know i will need it too!

• Thumbs Up 2

how's it going?

Most the threads about Installing

Drivers are way over my head. I'm just going to have to read more and try and figure it out .most are for Windows 8. Unless someone wants to walk me through it it's not going to happen any time soon. I'll just keep reading up on it.

I'm so close yet so far away.

I am planning on buying R5 and installing 980m.

Does anyone know which of those two heatsinks is correct for m17x R5 + 980m ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13773[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13774[/ATTACH]

3-pipe heatsink is the standard.

Most the threads about Installing

Drivers are way over my head. I'm just going to have to read more and try and figure it out .most are for Windows 8. Unless someone wants to walk me through it it's not going to happen any time soon. I'll just keep reading up on it.

I'm so close yet so far away.

just do the following from the post i linked earlier:

• Extract driver w/ 7-Zip/winrar
  • Extracted driver folder "34x.xx-notebook-win8-win7-64bit-international-whql" -> copy NVWMI folder.
  • Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvcv.inf(NV drivers v344.91) or nvcvi.inf (NV drivers v347.09, v344.80, v344.75) nvcvui.inf/v347.12.
  • Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe

in this upgrade movie - he has 2-pipe heatsink ...

which confuses me

might both be ok ?

I used 2pipe on my 17 with 780M with overclock without issue and I currently have the my 2 pipe on my 980m and it fits fine. 980m should run cooler than 780m so you should be fine with either one

So, finally got some time. Just got my AW17 back together and running. I can do that as well:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13770[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]13771[/ATTACH]

But how is that going to help? The active display is still the discrete graphics and not the Intel HD. How is this useful? I must be missing something.

The idea was to force 980m to boot w/ legacy option 'nvflash', once I load legacy it starts beeping...bios reset, just one of those useless moments...

- - - Updated - - -

@Player2

Win7 980M/970M Driver Installation

• Thumbs Up 1

@J95 when you get the chance try out the 347.25 drivers and see whether they need to be modded or can be installed as is. We already know the oc for 900M cards don't work and that's ok I am interested in the stock performance at this time.

i can wait until you have gathered enough info :)

• Thumbs Up 1