Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

@Player2

Win7 Optimus (only), you can't switch to dedicated. First install Intel HD drivers (Dell) then NV.

Uninstall current drivers using Run DDU/Safe mode -> Clean and Shutdown

1. Download GeForce 344.91 OEM

2. Extract w/ 7-ZIP

3. Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvcv.inf (unzip) Modded_nvcv.inf_v344.91_

5. Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe -> Advanced -> Clean Install Option -> Reboot.

Only Win8.1 (UEFI/GPT) for both Optimus & Dedicated.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Player2

Win7 will work using Optimus (only), you can't switch to dedicated. First install Intel HD drivers (Dell) then NV.

2. Extract w/ 7-ZIP

3. Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite (unzip) Modded_nvcv.inf_v344.91_

5. Extracted driver folder -> run setup.exe -> Advanced -> Clean Install Option -> Reboot.

Only Win8.1 (UEFI/GPT) works w/ both Optimus & Dedicated.

Thanks for help. It will be a while before I can try again . trying to get it up and running right again.then I will give it another try.

Thanks for help. It will be a while before I can try again . trying to get it up and running right again.then I will give it another try.

When installing win7 UEFI/GPT "Legacy option rom enabled" -> Click on the Custom (advanced) option -> create a new partition for Win8.1.

- - - Updated - - -

@TBoneSan @BillyXq any improvements...?

• Thumbs Up 1

J95 Do I do this after I manually swap the gpus. That's were I'm confused. Well actually it all

confuses me.lol

I know I can only use windows 7 with optimus. I'm ok with that. That's how I want it to be. I don't like windows 8.1. The question I have . Is if I'm in optimus mode can I just simply swap the gpus and then do this driver stuff that you are talking about or do I have to do it first and then swap gpus. Or does it even matter. ?

I don't know.

I'm trying to use my restore disks I made the first day I got my laptop but their not working.

Have to call dell tommorrow and tell them my laptop don't work.

Sorry to hear that man. There is a factory restore partition that can put the machine back to 'as-received'. Not sure of the method to use it but I would expect the dell tech will take you through it.

If it works with the new GPU then it would have been a straight swap-out without messing with the drivers until you want to update it. (modded one)...

I don't like stripping out until a problem occurs rather than a pre-emptive strike, just my experiences ;).

Good luck.

J95 Do I do this after I manually swap the gpus. That's were I'm confused. Well actually it all

confuses me.lol

I know I can only use windows 7 with optimus. I'm ok with that. That's how I want it to be. I don't like windows 8.1. The question I have . Is if I'm in optimus mode can I just simply swap the gpus and then do this driver stuff that you are talking about or do I have to do it first and then swap gpus. Or does it even matter. ?

This UEFI requirement for dedicated / PEG / 120Hz setups on AWs is very unfortunate.

Why don't you go ahead and do a fresh install to relieve all hassles and any future issues that might show up later ?

And this optimus mode just sucks at playing high quality games like Crysis 3 better go for a full re-install of a Win8.1 and maybe a dual boot with Win7 could also be favorable since the Win7 excels in many things than win8 imo.

@Player2

Win7 Optimus (only), you can't switch to dedicated. First install Intel HD drivers (Dell) then NV.

2. Extract w/ 7-ZIP

3. Display.Driver folder -> copy/overwrite nvcv.inf (unzip) Modded_nvcv.inf_v344.91_

Only Win8.1 (UEFI/GPT) works w/ both Optimus & Dedicated.

So since I am on win 8.1 I can go straight to dedicated mode?

@J95 I have tested the 347.25 QUADRO drivers with impressive results. However, OC is broken on this driver as EVGA crashes upon launch and nvidia inspector's clock reverts back just like 347.09

with nv_dispwi(1) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

with nv_dispwi(2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

Currently sticking with 344.91 / Prema's vbios mod for max stability and occasional overclocking

• Thumbs Up 1

This UEFI requirement for dedicated / PEG / 120Hz setups on AWs is very unfortunate.

Why don't you go ahead and do a fresh install to relieve all hassles and any future issues that might show up later ?

And this optimus mode just sucks at playing high quality games like Crysis 3 better go for a full re-install of a Win8.1 and maybe a dual boot with Win7 could also be favorable since the Win7 excels in many things than win8 imo.

I don't have the 120Hz screen.

And I really would just like to get it to work with optimus and windows 7 for now. If I can't figure it out then I will go the 8.1 route. But I'm on a mission to make it work with 7.[emoji12]

Sorry to hear that man. There is a factory restore partition that can put the machine back to 'as-received'. Not sure of the method to use it but I would expect the dell tech will take you through it.

If it works with the new GPU then it would have been a straight swap-out without messing with the drivers until you want to update it. (modded one)...

I don't like stripping out until a problem occurs rather than a pre-emptive strike, just my experiences ;).

Good luck.

I did a factory restore and got my computer up and running again . Have windows 7 and my stock gpu still installed. I'm downloading 3dmark 11 so I can run a benchmark to make sure my computer is working ok. Then I would like to try to install the 980m. I will be in optimus mode. I really don't want to try the display driver Uninstaller again if I don't have to . That's what locked my computer the first time.

I ran 3dmark11 with optimus and windows 7 with my stock 770m and got p5200 score. That's with everything stock from factory including all drivers. That seams about on par for my gpu.

Mickyd1234 or someone with swapping gpus experience verify that I can shut down my computer and swap gpus reboot and then work on uninstaling my current driver and then try installing the modded one.

Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's help. I new to a lot of this so I'm still learnig.

The 980m is still sealed in package and the least I have to handle it the better off I am.

I ran 3dmark11 with optimus and windows 7 with my stock 770m and got p5200 score. That's with everything stock from factory including all drivers. That seams about on par for my gpu.

Mickyd1234 or someone with swapping gpus experience verify that I can shut down my computer and swap gpus reboot and then work on uninstaling my current driver and then try installing the modded one.

Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's help. I new to a lot of this so I'm still learnig.

For me with NV cards I never uninstall, just re-run the installer when I'm finished. Select clean install is best practice. Only get involved with DDU if you experience problems IMO.

For me with NV cards I never uninstall, just re-run the installer when I'm finished. Select clean install is best practice. Only get involved with DDU if you experience problems IMO.

Thanks for reply. I guess my next step would be to shut down my system and swap gpus and go from there.

Anyone else with suggestions on how I should go about this is welcome to comment .

Ok here's an update guys.

I shut down my laptop opened up and swapped gpus. That was easy part.

When I booted my laptop back up I went into device manager and checked an it shows the intel ® hd graphics and standard VGA graphics adapter. I then started hwinfo and it shows intel hd graphics and nvidia gtx 980m under video adapters.

It says nvidia GeForce gtx 980m (gm204m) (dell)

When I booted my laptop back up I went into device manager and checked an it shows the intel ® hd graphics

Actually, swapping the GPUs should be hard part, because you have to arrange all the pads so it's level & repaste. You should just be able to install the Nvidia drivers with a modded inf after that.

Ok here's an update guys. I shut down my laptop opened up and swapped gpus. That was easy part.

When I booted my laptop back up I went into device manager and checked an it shows the intel (r) hd graphics and standard VGA graphics adapter. I then started hwinfo and it shows intel hd graphics and nvidia gtx 980m under video adapters.

no standard vga adapter? did you check in the bios if it's still being detected?

edit: good...now you're getting some where! :)

Actually, swapping the GPUs should be hard part, because you have to arrange all the pads so it's level & repaste. You should just be able to install the Nvidia drivers with a modded inf after that.

I don't understand this bit of command:

[FONT=HelveticaNeue-Light]bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes[/FONT]

do you have to run these commands + disable driver signing every time you install a modded driver?
  • Thumbs Up 1

@J95 I have tested the 347.25 QUADRO drivers with impressive results. However, OC is broken on this driver as EVGA crashes upon launch and nvidia inspector's clock reverts back just like 347.09

with nv_dispwi(1) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

with nv_dispwi(2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4700MQ,Alienware 041W46

Currently sticking with 344.91 / Prema's vbios mod for max stability and occasional overclocking

I'll mod a different version w/ OCing support, like v344.91/NVWMI.

- - - Updated - - -

@Player2 You don't need to disable driver signing with Win7.

Drivers two options: Clevo nvcvi.inf AW INF MOD/SIG or nv_dispi.inf http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/6307-%5Balienware%5D-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf-11.html#post116879

I put card up to my 780m and it's same as 980m except one more of those big square things at end of card. Heatsink fit nice and flush and everything looked to be making good contact. The gpu idle temp is 43c with dell stock fan settings. Same as my 770m.

I put ic diamond.

We will find out how good it is when I get card running at 99% load.[emoji12]

I'll mod a different version w/ OCing support, like v344.91/NVWMI.

cloudfire said that the 347.25 drivers seem to work without modding....can anyone test?

i don't mind having no oc so long as i get stock to play nice.

still don't understand the "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes" command and where i need to do it.

When I booted my laptop back up I went into device manager and checked an it shows the intel ® hd graphics and standard VGA graphics adapter. I then started hwinfo and it shows intel hd graphics and nvidia gtx 980m under video adapters.

Yeah, that's exactly as it should be :D. Been away so I'm still catching up on how far you have got now.

@thegh0sts: You only need to do it once for allowing win 8 to install modded drivers. You should turn it off after an install to make sure nothing gets in though.

@thegh0sts: You only need to do it once for allowing win 8 to install modded drivers. You should turn it off after an install to make sure nothing gets in though.

so i would need to turn it off enforcement > install drivers > turn on enforcement?

still trying to wrap my head around it and what the "bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes" command does and whether it needs to be done in the normal run time or in safe mode.

When I click on nvidia control panel it says I am not currently using a display attached to an nvidia gpu.

Is that just because I have not installed the modded driver for the gpu yet. ?

Please say yes

make sure the intel gpu isn't disabled first....just to be sure! :)