Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Billy 344.91 gave me the best results too.

@ Ghost. If you normally game with overclocks greater than +135 on the core, don't get these. If you love to bench, don't get these

However, if you just want to game within stock vbios limits, i'd go for it. I've no throttling on my cards but am limited to +135 being on the stock vbios and a limited selection of drivers (for now). I want to go beyond these stock vbios limits - do I need to? No, but it's fun. So I will have a problem should I want to move onto the current unlocked vbios as this seems to be how throttling is occurring.

Hopefully this will put things into perspective

Previous Personal Best 780m SLI OC

P16338 - GPU SCORE: 19550 CPU: SCORE: 11548

post-5470-14494999190413_thumb.jpg

Current Personal Best 980m Stock Score

P17608 - GPU SCORE: 24206 CPU: SCORE: 10074

post-5470-14494999191416_thumb.jpg

Look at the GPU score of my 780m SLI OCed to the limit of my single PSU. Then look at that GPU score of my stock 980m SLI.

Also note my weaker CPU scores having moved to Windows 8 to be able to use 980m SLI.

If you compare these results to Clevo P377SM-A results with 980m SLI it's practically the same, give or take within margin or error.

Where I image a Clevo P377SM-A would smoke my machine would be unlocking the vbios and going beyond the Nvidia limitations.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Player2 you ordered your 980m via hidevolution right? make sure that your screws are in place first before installing. They tend to leave behind a thing or two there.

@J95 well I can live with it for now :P Just making a 980m work in AW 17 is good enough for me i guess

@thegh0sts I've checked the physics scores and apparently they are pretty much the same there. It is the graphic score that is being gimped and for some reason this does not apply to the R4. I've tested evolve closed beta on my 980m and I have to say it runs FLUIDLY on maxed setting with TXAA so you would definitely want to look forward to it :D

• Thumbs Up 1

@Player2 you ordered your 980m via hidevolution right? make sure that your screws are in place first before installing. They tend to leave behind a thing or two there.

@J95 well I can live with it for now [emoji14] Just making a 980m work in AW 17 is good enough for me i guess

@thegh0sts I've checked the physics scores and apparently they are pretty much the same there. It is the graphic score that is being gimped and for some reason this does not apply to the R4. I've tested evolve closed beta on my 980m and I have to say it runs FLUIDLY on maxed setting with TXAA so you would definitely want to look forward to it :D

Yes I ordered from hidevolution and told them to make sure the screws for xbracket were in bag with my order.

It seems to be the case...Updated all to v(1) due to v2 issues GeForce 344.91 OEM - INF MOD for Alienware GTX 980M & 970M

I have read the the previous posts. I want to konw if I upgrade video card to gtx 9 series, is it possible that I could use both mod optimus & disable optimus according to the hot key (Fn+f5 )on keyboard (my module is alienware 17 OS:windows 8.1 uefi boot ) Thx!!

@thegh0sts as far as I know, 347.09 could not hold overclocks (automatically resets to stock).

By the way guys, I've noticed ever since I got my AW 17 two years ago that I could not control my GPU's fan via hwinfo. Has this problem been remedied already?

Ok, not looking to do any overclocking yet but would like to run it at stock in dedicated mode.

I got an email from power notebooks about their 980m and they offer a 1 year warranty but can only ship to the billing address nor do you they take PayPal for international people.

It seems to be the case...Updated all to v(1) due to v2 issues GeForce 344.91 OEM - INF MOD for Alienware GTX 980M & 970M

I have read the the previous posts. I want to konw if I upgrade video card to gtx 9 series, is it possible that I could use both mod optimus & disable optimus according to the hot key (Fn+f5 )on keyboard (my module is alienware 17 OS:windows 8.1 uefi boot ) Thx!!

For me the .09 driver lowers the OC I can use without a crash. I have to use +220mhz and not the +230mhz the earlier driver allows...

(That's interesting, I've not noticed a difference in my OC stability with .09 driver, nor any drivers in my experience, although I know some people say the driver affects their max OC - maybe I'm not running borderline enough.)

(That's interesting, I've not noticed a difference in my OC stability with .09 driver, nor any drivers in my experience, although I know some people say the driver affects their max OC - maybe I'm not running borderline enough.)
Yeah I think this will be a card specific event. I'm only using the 1.025v vbios so I could see if bumping it up helps but ATM I am happy with temps and performance :D.

I'm seeing a few reports of people not even being able to OC at all on the .09 driver - it resets immediately. It's all working good for me and I can live with the small OC drop to see if the next release is any better.

With Maxwell it is NO OVERCLOCK with that driver. Clocks are fixed and Inspector, Precision X and Afterburner don't work at all. In fact, they crash if you try to launch them.

Yep, both will work fine.

so long as i can reach the max stock speeds without throttling i am ok with that!

@J95 so powernotebooks.com doesn't use Fedex or UPS etc?

UPS mainly, I asked for USPS >CIF<.

I emailed them asking for a quote so I could see if I could pay via western union.

Ask them to include the x-bracket screws. Clevo heat sink w/back plate (remove it) thermal pads included, I used both 780M & 680M to mod my heat sinks even PCH. Still, better get Fujipoly thermal pads and Gelid Extreme.

0.5mm, cut and stick 1mm & 2mm http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16878/thr-164/Fujipoly_Extreme_System_Builder_Thermal_Pad_-_14_Sheet_-_150_x_100_x_05_-_Thermal_Conductivity_110_WmK.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13313/thr-108/Gelid_Solutions_GC-3_Extreme_Thermal_Compound_-_35_Grams_TC-GC-03-A.html

• Thumbs Up 3

My 980m is sitting at my house.

25 hours from time of order to delivery. I'm stuck out of town working in the mud.

urgh! you not being with the GPU is making me anxious LOL

EDIT: If i went with powernotebooks I would be only saving $100 with the current (and crappy) CAD-USD exchange rate. since they take Western Union as a payment method it means that i need to...

1) pay for the item ($707.13 USD)

2) pay the shipping ($59.10 USD)

3) pay for the conversion and service fee (approx. $18 CAD)

4) pay for a brokerage fee from Fedex ($53 CAD)

5) pay the Ontario HST of 13%

and that ends up being around $1160 :(

urgh! you not being with the GPU is making me anxious LOL

EDIT: If i went with powernotebooks I would be only saving $100 with the current (and crappy) CAD-USD exchange rate. since they take Western Union as a payment method it means that i need to...

1) pay for the item ($707.13 USD)

2) pay the shipping ($59.10 USD)

3) pay for the conversion and service fee (approx. $18 CAD)

4) pay for a brokerage fee from Fedex ($53 CAD)

5) pay the Ontario HST of 13%

and that ends up being around $1160 :(

Mine set me back $926 with tax.

I hope it works ok. That's the most I ever spent on one electronic part ever.

Mine set me back $926 with tax.

I hope it works ok. That's the most I ever spent on one electronic part ever.

what's the sales tax for california? if i had bought it from the US i think it would be more than difficult in the long run for support.

$1270 CAD will be $125 USD more than what you paid for it and most if it is just the sales tax!

The card was $850 before tax . $926 after

That comes out to .089 cents per dollar.

so kinda wondering if i should still bother with the 980M or just hold off and get a clevo? though it is a waste of a good (not great) AW17!

maybe i'll jump into the deep end and get one...will see.