Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

• 4 weeks later...

Modded nv_dispi.inf AW.

I've been using nv_dispi.inf for some time now, mainly to exclude OEM customizations.

Since nvdmi.inf lacks Maxwell entries and to avoid multiple INFs, I've included all models & cards -> nv_dispi.inf <- AW17 - M17x - AW18 - M18x - GTX 980M - 970M - 880M - 780M - 680M - Single & SLI

Maxwell previously tested http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-65.html#post116116

Full IDs http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/8113-going-test-clevo-980m-alienware-m17x-r4-m18x-r2-aw17-69.html#post116252

Note: v347.09 GTX 980M SLI and GTX 970M SLI notebooks are not supported

with this driver. With SLI enabled on these notebooks, a black screen

will occur upon uninstalling this driver. To workaround this issue,

disable SLI before uninstalling the driver.

Broken Overclocking options.

CUDA NVCUVENC Mod. Just register nvcuvenc DLLs as explained here #3 http://forum.techinferno.com/nvidia/8290-%5Bmod%5D-latest-nvidia-drivers-cuda-nvcuvenc-encoder-support.html#post114350

GeForce 347.09 WHQL

GeForce 344.80 Beta

GeForce 344.75 WHQL

GeForce 344.65 WHQL

nv_dispi.inf_v347.09_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.80_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.75_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

nv_dispi.inf_v344.65_AW17_M17x_AW18_M18x_GTX_980M_970M_880M_780M_680M.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

J95 wish to use your latest modded driver very much but no go...Using DDU to clean in safe mode, disable driver signature enforcement and I am able to install. But once I start steam or any game my laptop will hang and I have to force shutdown by holding the power button down until the laptop shuts down. I am running win8.1 in AW17 with BIOS A09. Any idea what might be the issue? If instead I install the eurocom drivers from their website everything is running with no issue but these are the 344.65 version.

- - - Updated - - -

I intend to compare the eurocom drivers to stock NVidia drivers of same version and see which files they have modded and how to make it work...then copy this for latest driver.

J95 wish to use your latest modded driver very much but no go...Using DDU to clean in safe mode, disable driver signature enforcement and I am able to install. But once I start steam or any game my laptop will hang and I have to force shutdown by holding the power button down until the laptop shuts down. I am running win8.1 in AW17 with BIOS A09. Any idea what might be the issue? If instead I install the eurocom drivers from their website everything is running with no issue but these are the 344.65 version.

- - - Updated - - -

I intend to compare the eurocom drivers to stock NVidia drivers of same version and see which files they have modded and how to make it work...then copy this for latest driver.

They're are using Kepler entries. Did you flash the unlocked vBIOS? If so try v344.75 or v344.80. BIOS settings?

cmd (Admin)

bcdedit /set {current} testsigning yes

-> reboot -> Install drivers -> reboot.

Are the m18xr2's still misbehaving with sli 980m? or anyone found a way to ungimp them yet?

i found a warrantied m18xr2 on ebay very cheap im on the verge of buying and using whilst i move the p570wm on...

Hit or miss... when 980M SLI wants to work well it is amazing. When it doesn't, it garbage. It seems to have a mind of its own. I am hoping it is drivers. I'm regretting the upgrade and wish we could have worked something out for your Clevo P570WM3. But, live and learn. At least I will have a pair of 980M for a Clevo when I get one and I can buy a cheaper GPU like 780M SLI in the Clevo to replace the 980M cards in the R2.

This is with stock vBIOS using the stock (crappy) 347.09 locked-down turd driver. Even so, the 3DMark11 run is a shade (300 points) better than my highest 780M SLI overclocked score (see 3DMark 11 comparison, see Fire Strike comparison). So, even stock it is better except for the days it decides to throttle like a pile of junk, then 780M SLI kicks its butt.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2 [URL]http://i.imgur.com/FeprZkR.jpg
[/URL] [/CENTER]

Here is another 3DMark 11 run exactly the same BIOS settings, ThrottleStop running but turned off, using driver 344.75 desktop mod with no GPU OC, and without any sub-3D clock GPU throttling.

344.75 Desktop Mod versus 347.09 Notebook Driver - Result

post-119-1449499900318_thumb.jpg

@ibennz - if leaks and rumors are accurate, you'll be able to buy a new Alienware 17 with crippled 980M BGA version with have the vRAM, an emasculated BGA low-TDP jokebook CPU and two SO-DIMM slots in the near future. But, hey... it should have a slimy touchscreen option and be thin to make up for being crippled and not upgradeable. If you want something done right, you're going to have to do it yourself. If you hold your breath waiting for Alienware you will die from asphyxiation.

so throtlling is due to cpu at 4.6 ghz right? for gaming if cpu at 4.2 ghz 980m sli will not throttle right? it will give a much better performance and fps right?

also a couple of pages back i saw that you mentioned u can oc the 980m to 1300 + more but it makes no difference even if cpu max oced to 4.9 ghz because of bottlenecking?

so 3940xm/3920xm @ 5.0 ghz (even if possible) cannot take full advantage of 1300+ of 980m sli (even if no throttling) due to cpu horsepower and limitations?

so currently appropriate settings would be CPU at 4.0~4.4 ghz and 980m sli @ 1200 to make the most out of it in m18x r2?

Nope, not even a little bit, Brother Riddhy916... has nothing to do with it. It did not throttle even once at 4.6GHz. You're way off track with those assumptions. The throttling to sub-3D P0 clock speeds is related to power draw as best I can tell. With no CPU overclock whatsoever (2.9GHz) it still throttles like a son of a female dog when it is in a throttling mood. It comes and goes, but when it does it the throttling always occurs once the total system power utilization reaches 315 to 320 watts. It will drop clocks like a hot potato and then shoot back up again until it hits the same power demand range and then plummet again. I even tried this using my dual 330W AC adapter mod and it makes no difference. Then, for no reason I can identify, and without changing anything that I can identify, it will stop throttling and run like a bat out of hell for a while. It is really weird. After about 16 hours of testing while watching my PSU power meter, I have some theories, but nothing I can prove yet. I think NVIDIA has us by the short hairs with their power saving baloney and decent drivers might fix it. 347.09 (which is a horrible driver) almost fixes it, but blocks overclocking. One of my theories is NVIDIA drivers have something nasty that monitors system power draw (to support their new Battery Boost feces) and using a pure UEFI BIOS allows it full and unfettered liberty to molest the entire system through SMI.

so what i've been hearing so far about the 900M series GPUs is that....

1) dedicated only = throttling

2) optimus enabled = full speed

3) 347.09 drivers = no OC, 344.75 = OK

though this is mostly on M17x R4s and not the AW17s. i'm not fussed with having optimus enabled but this is really strange that having the card in dedicated mode is having more issues.

i'm still (very) confused about which modded drivers i would need to use or even about how to mod them.

i hope new drivers will fix 1) and 3) soon!

I think it is a power-draw related thing that is not directly related to Optimus. Running Optimus may do something that causes interference with whatever retarded nonsense NVIDIA wants to do to make their Battery Boost driver cah-cah work. It is totally unpredictable on the M18xR2 and the only thing that I can find that is consistent is the bad behavior, when it happens, is directly related to the watts the system is pulling. When the BIOS is allow to talk to the NVIDIA driver/vBIOS it runs like crap. When they cannot communicate is when good things happen.

I believe systems that are using Legacy BIOS and VGA boot might be preventing NVIDIA's <del>Ultrabook</del> jokebook facilitating driver garbage from working like they want it to work. Remember, most of the systems being sold with 980M as a factory option are pieces of trash with low-TDP BGA crap CPUs that pull a limp-wristed 15 to 40W and sport a "thin and light" school-boy wimp faggot chassis.

Here is a run with a nice little GPU overclock and 4.6GHz CPU on a day it decided to behave right:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3920XM Processor Extreme Edition,Alienware M18xR2

post-119-14494999003845_thumb.jpg

when did battery boost come into effect? is it possible to disable it via a driver setting or in the vbios?

because, like you Mr. Fox, i think it might be the cause of the throttling issues.

so while i am still confused as to the state of the performance of the GPUs it's good to see it's being worked out.

Battery Boost is new to 800M and 900M series. You can find it in GeForce Experience. With Optimus there is a way to disable it and a slider to adjust it on the "Preferences" tab. In PEG (dedicated) mode and SLI that option is not available. There is no box to uncheck and no slider. But, using my M18xR2 in Optimus mode, that feature did not change anything. Possibly due to immature drivers or my system not being compatible with it. I don't know if Brother mikecacho played with that on his M17xR4.

post-119-14494999004623_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I did look in the driver installation package and registry, and so far I have not been able to identify something that can be deleted. It might be there somewhere, but I have yet to isolate it. I have been looking, though.

@ibennz - if leaks and rumors are accurate, you'll be able to buy a new Alienware 17 with crippled 980M BGA version with have the vRAM, an emasculated BGA low-TDP jokebook CPU and two SO-DIMM slots in the near future. But, hey... it should have a slimy touchscreen option and be thin to make up for being crippled and not upgradeable. If you want something done right, you're going to have to do it yourself. If you hold your breath waiting for Alienware you will die from asphyxiation.

So what do you recommand ? I indeed want a laptop that i can mod and put stuff in it myself. I just need a base. I have a lenovo y500 650M but I want to buy something else and start adding stuff to it.

Battery Boost is new to 800M and 900M series. You can find it in GeForce Experience. With Optimus there is a way to disable it and a slider to adjust it on the "Preferences" tab. In PEG (dedicated) mode and SLI that option is not available. There is no box to uncheck and no slider. But, using my M18xR2 in Optimus mode, that feature did not change anything. Possibly due to immature drivers or my system not being compatible with it. I don't know if Brother mikecacho played with that on his M17xR4.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13491[/ATTACH]

- - - Updated - - -

I did look in the driver installation package and registry, and so far I have not been able to identify something that can be deleted. It might be there somewhere, but I have yet to isolate it. I have been looking, though.

ah ok, i am hoping it gets sorted out soon!

ah ok, i am hoping it gets sorted out soon!

Me, too. I'd like to enjoy these 980M beasts without having to spend a few thousand dollars to buy a Clevo to use them in. Maybe our firmware masters @svl7 and @Prema can find the code in the vBIOS that enables that Battery Boost power sensing "feature" and castrate it.

Here is what it looks like when it is in a "not throttling" mood. Nice, flat line for core and memory... the way it should always be, regardless of anything except for overheating. NVIDIA's "adaptive" trash has always been for the birds. I think they are morons for even attempting to develop garbage like that for a gaming system. It's nothing short of retarded, IMHO.

post-119-14494999031776_thumb.jpg

Although access to the Battery Boost might be "disabled" in the GeForce Experience UI on SLI or PEG mode, the cancer is still there, either in the drivers or vBIOS, or both, and the fact that it exists may be an explanation for the undesirable behavior. Whether it is Battery Boost or something else, there is a very strong correlation to power draw.

This short video is just one GTX 980M heavily overclocked in my R2 using Optimus mode. When it is throttling, on the days that it feels like throttling, the peak wattage you see in this video is the point that my core and memory clocks drop like a rock. The video is in a 3DMark11 Test 1 run with an overclock of about 1350/1400/1.100V. And, the peak wattage you see in this video is what my 980M SLI setup consumes running STOCK (no GPU overclock) in 3DMark 11 Test 1. Do this with a single-GPU AW17 or an M17Xr4 and a 240W AC adapter isn't going to end well either if Battery Boost is trying to save the day for the weirdos worried about using too much power.

yes, it needs to be turned off because the logic behind it is just stupid - how many people actually play demanding games on the battery? I don't, you don't and I am sure there's plenty more as well that don't play on the battery because the power just isn't there.

besides, an AW17 or M17x aren't "portable" in the sense one can play while in transit from one location to another (like sitting on the bus or at the airport terminal), they are "portable" in that they're small enough to pack in a bag and move it to another location to work uninterrupted. and I think nvidia have missed the meaning of "portable" here.

I'd be happy to see it go provided that there's no negative effects like higher power usage when plugged into the mains etc.

this needs to be investigated.

The Clevos need an EC update to utilize battery boost 2...:indecisiveness:
Well, let's hope Clevo never provides an update to enable that cancerous filth. Or, if they do, hopefully you possess the hex editing magic needed to re-kill it. Maybe not supporting the NVIDIA "technology" is why they actually work correctly.

- - - Updated - - -

yes, it needs to be turned off because the logic behind it is just stupid - how many people actually play demanding games on the battery? I don't, you don't and I am sure there's plenty more as well that don't play on the battery because the power just isn't there.

besides, an AW17 or M17x aren't "portable" in the sense one can play while in transit from one location to another (like sitting on the bus or at the airport terminal), they are "portable" in that they're small enough to pack in a bag and move it to another location to work uninterrupted. and I think nvidia have missed the meaning of "portable" here.

I'd be happy to see it go provided that there's no negative effects like higher power usage when plugged into the mains etc.

this needs to be investigated.

and that might be the case with alienware as well - an incompatible EC/GPU combo?

would it be much easier just to turn off battery boost anyway?

Games that can be played on battery power belong on an Android or iOS device, not a PC. I agree... the people that want or need to play demanding games on battery power are (a) few and far between, and (B) not very smart to being with. The systems that support it are not enthusiast grade systems and the game experience has to be dumbed down to do it effectively. This garbage has no place on larger laptops like the Alienware 17" and 18" machines.

I'm not sure "easy" is the right word to describe the task of finding and killing this garbage, but "better" is certainly accurate.

Games that can be played on battery power belong on an Android or iOS device, not a PC. I agree... the people that want or need to play demanding games on battery power are (a) few and far between, and (B) not very smart to being with. The systems that support it are not enthusiast grade systems and the game experience has to be dumbed down to do it effectively. This garbage has no place on larger laptops like the Alienware 17" and 18" machines.

I'm not sure "easy" is the right word to describe the task of finding and killing this garbage, but "better" is certainly accurate.

i mean a more swift / one stroke kill solution rather than the complexity though i am sure it's possible while they keep digging.

Well, let's hope Clevo never provides an update to enable that cancerous filth. Or, if they do, hopefully you possess the hex editing magic needed to re-kill it. Maybe not supporting the NVIDIA "technology" is why they actually work correctly...

They don't take a performance hit even with it enabled...using my modded vB even 1500Mhz SLI had no throttle...

I am not sure if BB2 is causing the throttle (even with modded vB) in AW SLI configuration...it maybe something in BIOS ACPI that generates an "estimate total power consumption value" and shuts down the P-states if it thinks it's being breached.