Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

[ATTACH]13403[/ATTACH]

This is my gpu-z log when it throttles.

gpu-z log file shows that gpu core clock went all the way down to 431-444 and memory clock down to 799.

thats between tests?

id expect that?

what it like on benchmark are the frames reasonably stable?

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt

thats 3dmark 11 not that it should matter

- - - Updated - - -

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt new run log and bench http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/9101116

looks like we are all having differnt troubles mine has utilisation troubles yours inconsistant throttles...

- - - Updated - - -

im downloading 3d mark do some firestrike and compare logs side by side.

nothing bad going on there :)

which bios is your card running?

- - - Updated - - -

are you overclocking there?

That is absolutely bad it constantly down clocks during the test the whole time, as you can see the huge fluctuations from 1400+ down to below 400, as for the OCing, it does it with or without that, that does not matter.

- - - Updated - - -

@godfafa @mikecacho

CPU stock settings.

Stock clocks, try increasing voltage offset NV Inspector.

(ill set my CPU clocks back to stock)

Ill try that, what do you recommend setting the voltage offset to?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am going to run a registry check today once I get everything working correctly again, it will take a image of the registry, and then tomorrow when shit hits the fan ill take another registry image, and compare the results to see what has changed. ill post those results.

I upgraded from that config, you can check out my link: M17X R4 GTX980M Upgrade

also start at pg. 65 on this forum and you will receive all the answers you need for the upgrade

Thanks for the link. How do you find the temps with the heatsink? I see you put max 66 on your original tests is this still the temps your getting now?

That is absolutely bad it constantly down clocks during the test the whole time, as you can see the huge fluctuations from 1400+ down to below 400, as for the OCing, it does it with or without that, that does not matter.

Yeah i was being sarcastic mate...

frankly i have no clue whats up there im having problems also but appear unrelated.

I cant replicate what you guys are suffering no matter what i tweak i can only assume its unique to alienwares as far as i can tell...

- - - Updated - - -

(ill set my CPU clocks back to stock)

Ill try that, what do you recommend setting the voltage offset to?

- - - Updated - - -

Also I am going to run a registry check today once I get everything working correctly again, it will take a image of the registry, and then tomorrow when shit hits the fan ill take another registry image, and compare the results to see what has changed. ill post those results.

I spoke to someone and it won't work properly without a BIOS mod, basically the 980M is out of specs (my question) considering 675M/680M official cards M18xR2/M17xR4. All the speculation that after certain crashes the card would somehow store this and throttle 880M, "Possible, not happening" that is the BIOS kicking. The board circuitry will hold the 980M (@1296/780M) but it will boot with issues already...this partially explains the gpu erratic behavior.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the link. How do you find the temps with the heatsink? I see you put max 66 on your original tests is this still the temps your getting now?

Yes, absolute max.

- - - Updated - - -

I spoke to someone and it won't work properly without a BIOS mod, basically the 980M is out of specs (my question) considering 675M/680M official cards M18xR2/M17xR4. All the speculation that after certain crashes the card would somehow store this and throttle 880M, "Possible, not happening" that is the BIOS kicking. The board circuitry will hold the 980M (@1296/780M) but it will boot with issues already...this partially explains the gpu erratic behavior.

So are there any BIOS mods? or is that what Slv7 is working on? I guess i will run it with HD4000 enabled, since that seems to be more stable ATM.

Yes, absolute max.

- - - Updated - - -

So are there any BIOS mods? or is that what Slv7 is working on? I guess i will run it with HD4000 enabled, since that seems to be more stable ATM.

I have no Idea, better ask him. What we could do, is gather a bunch of users M17xR4 & M18xR2 form T|I and other forums and buy him a couple of beer cases, Tequila, the whole party....:D Whatever works with one model will work with the other too. Unlocking A13 if it helps somehow UEFI (Win7). If not we will end walking in circles...

I have no Idea, better ask him. What we could do, is gather a bunch of users M17xR4 & M18xR2 form T|I and other forums and buy him a couple of beer cases, Tequila, the whole party....:D Whatever works with one model will work with the other too. Unlocking A13 if it helps somehow UEFI (Win7). If not we will end walking in circles...

@J95

I'm down for that!

Also, i switched to the Eurocom modded drivers 344.65 (from their site for m17x R4) i have to use Optimus, but it shows valid scores during the firestrike. Have you had a look at the modded Eurocom driver to verify what they have done to get this to happen?

post-5120-14494998980673_thumb.jpg

I'm just concerned about how to flash a modded vBIOS if you're running UEFI with legacy disabled? I am sure it has been mentioned before though would enabling legacy just to flash still a viable method?
I believe i read earlier in the thread thats exactly how you do it.
Nope, can't do that because it won't POST... 8 beeps if you enable Legacy Option ROM. Something with a conflict between the BIOS/vBIOS where only GOP support is available. Legacy Option ROM (CSM) is VGA, not GOP. Will have to be flashed using NVFlashWin instead of DOS. While this is not as safe as DOS, it's not nearly as prone to failure as flashing AMD GPUs in Windows.
OR... driver gimping which is equally likely... i wouldnt put it past nvidia to purposefully gimp the drivers to prevent people overclocking

Nah, I wouldn't put it past those bastards either. Kind of makes sense... they effed up 880M on purpose, so why not be consistent and do the same thing with 980M, just not anywhere nearly as bad as 880M? This kind of thing seems like an NVIDIA tradition. None of us should have surprised looks on our faces about 980M clocks fluctuating. This is not something new, LOL... 580M, 675M, 680M, 780M and 880M have all done this from one extent to another until svl7 and johnksss put their talents to work on the vBIOS mod. Let's just hope the sucky behavior isn't a hopeless cause like it is with 880M. Hopefully, it will be a complete success like it was with 680M and 780M.

Anyone know if you can put an alienware power jack on the psu link box clevo use? Or is there a better way to link psus

Yes, there is a better way... http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x-aw-18/4250-%5Btutorial%5D-dual-330w-ac-adapter-mod.html

The Clevo dual AC adapter converter cannot be directly modded to take to Alienware AC adapters. I have one and investigated that. The jacks are made totally different and will not fit the PCB inside of the converter box. However, my dual adapter mod works great so it's not a big deal. It's simple, effective and inexpensive (less than the cost of the Clevo converter thing). I have purchased some odd parts and may attempt a FrankenPSU mod using the Clevo converter to see how well that works in lieu of a bridge rectifier. If/when I do that, I will update my dual adapter mod thread with photos and details.

Running at stock clocks and voltage there should be no need for a dual AC adapter mod for an Alienware laptop with 980M SLI. 980M SLI is going to pull substantially less power than 780M SLI and a single 330W AC adapter is enough for a heavily overclocked XM CPU and 780M SLI running stock or up to about 1007/1500/1.035V. You don't start having problems unless you push the GPUs harder than that. The problems Peter is seeing with erratic CPU behavior is the fault of Windows 8, not power depletion. A triple PSU mod won't fix Windows 8. It's a messed OS, especially where CPU behavior is concerned. (Johnksss has already confirmed 980M SLI doesn't draw nearly as much power as 780M SLI.)

@mikecacho

Mikecacho, have you seen my gpu-z log?

Is your "throttle" like mine? Going down to 400hz?

Yes, yours is very similar, but i dont think it has to do with the OC applied since it wont start until one day later. I am trying with the Eurocom driver with Optimus, since it gives me valid scores, i want to see if it happens tomorrow. If so then i cant figure out what is causing it. Is something being changed in the registry by windows upon start up after a long duration of the pc being off? or is it strictly related to the vBios...?

My 3Dmark results yesterday. <---

Haven't OC my CPU or anything yet, though I may end up doing so sometime soon, we'll see.

@godfafa

You mentioned you didn't think a 980m was good for Alienware, can you elaborate?

I've hardly had mine in for few days, and only did a handful of hours of Farcry4 and Metro Last Light Redux, but thus far I've had zero issues, no lag, no overheating either.

Everything has been going well really, I'd be curious to know exactly what has changed your mind about 980m in Alienwares.

Nope, can't do that because it won't POST... 8 beeps if you enable Legacy Option ROM. Something with a conflict between the BIOS/vBIOS where only GOP support is available. Legacy Option ROM (CSM) is VGA, not GOP. Will have to be flashed using NVFlashWin instead of DOS. While this is not as safe as DOS, it's not nearly as prone to failure as flashing AMD GPUs in Windows.

fair enough, then somebody better figure out how to do it in UEFI.

This is a little off topic but I've got a clevo 970m card and this is my problem with my msi-gt60 (16f3). I updated my mxm gpu with an nvidia gtx 970m clevo card and successfully udpate to msi vbios. For the first week it works like a charm, then I re-format and made a fresh install of windows 7 .. All the drivers installed successfully.. But when playing games or any 3d app games, intel 4000 works as the gpu..

How come the 970m not executing on 3d games... Is this related to bug of hd4000 or optimus drivers not switching to 970m when 3d apps enabled? I selected on the nvidia control panel the 970m during 3d games though... Please help thanks

fair enough, then somebody better figure out how to do it in UEFI.
As long as a Windows version of NVFlash surfaces, we should be OK. Flashing in DOS is safer, but it's not nearly as intrepid flashing NVIDIA GPUs in Windows as it is AMD. (I think it is more buggy AMD flashing software that is to blame for this and not the AMD GPUs.)