Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

So it seems only etienne51 and I have got windows 7 working in uefi mode. This is really weird.

Also @ J95, my method does create the efi partitions, it even requires a gpt partition and will say windows cannot install if it's in mbr format.

This is weird how it does not work for anyone else. I'm glad at least one other person got this working so I know it is possible on the alienware computers. I had it a few months ago before 10 came out.

I believe it may just be the media we are using which would be weird.

@mw86 I think 10 will run the 980M fine as well if 8 does. It's very similar and I'm running 10 right now but with 680ms in uefi.

maybe it's a bit confusing now, because we all tested with different models. i tested the w7.uefi on aw18. with legacy mode on it's fine. without it, it booted fine but the boot screen never went away. my best guess was that there are apparent differences in the bios of these models that caused the different outcomes.

i couldn't test it in my m17xr4 now because it's running 880m (modded bios and vbios applied).

I'm running my 680m sli in uefi right now! In windows 10, but when I had 7 I also ran my 680m sli. I used FN+F7 to switch to 680m sli to install drivers and they worked in 3d apps fine as well.

Have you tried to install windows 7 uefi with the iGPU, install all of the drivers, then try using FN+F7 to reboot to the 980M?

Also has anyone (even in a clevo) got these working with windows 7 legacy boot? I think this issue is only with alienware and the clevos probably don't need uefi. I don't think the desktop cards need uefi either. Maybe if we get our hands on a dell vbios things will work in legacy boot?

This might work. I got rid of the installation already. Aghrrr.

Also has anyone (even in a clevo) got these working with windows 7 legacy boot? I think this issue is only with alienware and the clevos probably don't need uefi. I don't think the desktop cards need uefi either. Maybe if we get our hands on a dell vbios things will work in legacy boot?

like i have mentioned before, i have gtx 980 sli in clevo working under legacy Windows7 with no problem.

could anybody run a game?? I only obtained 7002 point in 3dmark 11, should I activate anything to make it works better???

- - - Updated - - -

somebody could modify my nvdispi.ini????

nv_dispi.inf (413,61 KB) - uploaded.net

and please upload to a free server

I ran world of warcraft, diablo III, league of legends without any problem.

I think your driver is messed up. Why dont you try reinstalling windows.

I've had a similar problem and I fixed it with reinstalling windows and everything.

- - - Updated - - -

like i have mentioned before, i have gtx 980 sli in clevo working under legacy Windows7 with no problem.

Yup, you are right. Clevo works well with legacy windows7.

p170 and p150 has optimus, so it must work with legacy.

p375 has a bios that works as UEFI (even it's legacy enabled) and this will allow 980m to post.

But alienware can't :(

I ran world of warcraft, diablo III, league of legends without any problem.

I think your driver is messed up. Why dont you try reinstalling windows.

I've had a similar problem and I fixed it with reinstalling windows and everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, you are right. Clevo works well with legacy windows7.

p170 and p150 has optimus, so it must work with legacy.

p375 has a bios that works as UEFI (even it's legacy enabled) and this will allow 980m to post.

But alienware can't :(

I reinstall every day twice.... max score in 3dmark 11 7002, I shuold remove my 4930mx too, with my old 4700mq 3dmark runs great, but only 7002 points...

please could anyboy make me a nvdispi.ini for last nv drivers????

I reinstall every day twice.... max score in 3dmark 11 7002, I shuold remove my 4930mx too, with my old 4700mq 3dmark runs great, but only 7002 points...

please could anyboy make me a nvdispi.ini for last nv drivers????

Yes, it could be that your graphics driver install is messed up. Try the following:

Try uninstalling & then reinstalling the NVidia drivers:

1) uninstall NVidia drivers from the Windows Control Panel.

2) Use DDU uninstaller to remove any remnants of NVidia drivers (http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html)

3) Reinstall the latest NVidia drivers using modified inf like you normally do.

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&subsys_05aa1028&rev_a1

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&subsys_05aa1028

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&cc_030000

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&cc_0300

here is my hardware id

and here nvdispi

could anybody prepare it??? thanks

Ask godfafa let you modify !

I think something kicked file:(

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&subsys_05aa1028&rev_a1

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&subsys_05aa1028

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&cc_030000

pci\ven_10de&dev_13d7&cc_0300

here is my hardware id

and here nvdispi

could anybody prepare it??? thanks

Have you tried using a modified inf from this website, I used to use these guys, they were good:

LaptopVideo2Go: Drivers

Download the modified inf from the driver you want to install from that link above.

Nice scores - was that with any OC on the Cards ? Also were those physics scores from a 4.7Ghz :(

Hmm.. what to do about this forced W8 business

Yeah, 3DMark 11 will NEVER have good physics results with W8. The physics scores for me are always between 1000 to 1500 3DMarks higher with Windows 7, which is one of the major reasons I despise W8. At 4.7GHz the physics score should be just shy of 12K and would be with W7.

@etienne51 - thanks for taking the time to post the detail. I already did exactly what you posted, including creating the EFI USB stick with Rufus. It DOES NOT work on the M18xR2. The behavior is exactly the same using the stock Alienware DVD for EFI boot. Everything is perfect until you disable Legacy Option ROM. The machine freezes at the Windows Welcome screen with the animated Windows logo. I have tried this about 6 times in the past few days on two M18xR2 (3 times on 2 machines) and it doesn't work. There must be something different with your machine. I don't know why this works for the M18xR2 that @ssj92 has, but doesn't seem to work for anyone else.

I am wondering if the unlocked BIOS flashed using the PRR tool may have something that interferes with UEFI boot without Legacy support. I may try it with stock A10 and see what happens, just for kicks.

post-80-14494998855923_thumb.gif

... and M15x :P

Excellent, what system are you using it in svl7? sli then (you said cards)?

980m and 970m, AW17 and M15x :D

svl7 could you upload your 344.75 drivers and share them with us?

Sure, see attached files. Will only work for AW17 and M15x though. I don't know the AW18 and other device ideas by heart...

nvcvi.zip

• Thumbs Up 7