Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Haha I should have left the double post there for effect since CPU power is something I want more of too, not less. So far with 780m SLI I'm yet to run into GPU bottlenecks. I can't say the same for my CPU after running Star Citizen.

Hopefully Windows 7 will work and it won't mean a compromise. Otherwise I might reluctantly build a desktop. Shame, I just purchased a brand new Nebula Red shell too.

• Founder

Someone should try this with the Windows 10 technical preview. It's far nicer than Windows 8. Anyway, glad to see you guys at least have the option of using the 980m now - the Maxwell upgrade is far superior to the older stuff and what's amazing is it's all built on the same node. Almost makes me miss having a high performance notebook...almost. ;)

I totatlly agree with Mr Fox, the hyung nim and TBoneSan about win8.

It is surely a downgrade from win7 if you are more into hwbot.org benches.

But, if you see the bright side, most games are known to run as fast as they'd do in win7.

Moreover, we now know at least 980m works in alienware, though we need some more tests to be done.

This will allow alot of alienware users (old and new) to buy the new 980m for their tests, needs and wants.

I believe mods vbios/bios would allow us to use 980m in win7 eventually. I am pretty sure the modders will kinda know what the problems are with 980m and alienware. If people help each other in thse big community like TI and NBR, the fact that 980m runs in alienware will be a very important factor that will accelerate the possibility of it running in win7.

Windows 7 SP1 supports UEFI. I've even installed Windows 7 under uefi on my m18x r2 before. Just enable uefi, disable any legacy rom options, then boot from the dvd to install. Make sure the windows 7 sp1 dvd has a efi folder, or make a usb boot drive. As long as the windows disc has an efi folder, it should support uefi booting. Just disable fast boot but keep uefi enabled.

• Thumbs Up 1

Windows 7 SP1 supports UEFI. I've even installed Windows 7 under uefi on my m18x r2 before. Just enable uefi, disable any legacy rom options, then boot from the dvd to install. Make sure the windows 7 sp1 dvd has a efi folder, or make a usb boot drive. As long as the windows disc has an efi folder, it should support uefi booting. Just disable fast boot but keep uefi enabled.

I think you installed win7 in "UEFI with LEGACY option".

What we need is " load legacy option rom : disabled ".

And with this disabled, I dont think it is currently possible to install win7 in alienware.

I think you installed win7 in "UEFI with LEGACY option".

What we need is " load legacy option rom : disabled ".

And with this disabled, I dont think it is currently possible to install win7 in alienware.

No windows 7 installs in uefi mode fine. This is true uefi mode with legacy boot disabled! I have done this countless times. UEFI itself is suppoted by windows 7! Even vista supports uefi! You just need to be using a 64-bit version of windows.

Directly from microsoft's website:

The following Windows editions include support for UEFI:

Windows 8.1 and Windows® 8 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 32-bit (x86), 64-bit (x64), and ARM-based PCs. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1 Errata C or higher.

Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server® 2012 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1.

Windows® 7, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008

Support UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Support on Class 2 systems running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode by using a CSM, so they can use the legacy BIOS INT10 features.

Are not supported on Class 3 systems, because these operating systems assume the presence of legacy BIOS INT10 support in the firmware, which is not available in a Class-3 UEFI implementation.

Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008 also support EFI 1.10 on Itanium-based systems.

No windows 7 installs in uefi mode fine. This is true uefi mode with legacy boot disabled! I have done this countless times. UEFI itself is suppoted by windows 7! Even vista supports uefi! You just need to be using a 64-bit version of windows.

Directly from microsoft's website:

The following Windows editions include support for UEFI:

Windows 8.1 and Windows® 8 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 32-bit (x86), 64-bit (x64), and ARM-based PCs. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1 Errata C or higher.

Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server® 2012 support native UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. Some features such as Secure Boot require UEFI 2.3.1.

Windows® 7, Windows Vista® with Service Pack 1 (SP1), Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008

Support UEFI 2.0 or later on 64-bit systems. They also support BIOS-based PCs, and UEFI-based PCs running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode.

Support on Class 2 systems running in legacy BIOS-compatibility mode by using a CSM, so they can use the legacy BIOS INT10 features.

Are not supported on Class 3 systems, because these operating systems assume the presence of legacy BIOS INT10 support in the firmware, which is not available in a Class-3 UEFI implementation.

Windows Server® 2008 R2 and Windows Server® 2008 also support EFI 1.10 on Itanium-based systems.

Thank you. I will try this!

One last question, you've done it in alienware right?

Asking because, not only me but Mr Fox and everyone I know failed to install windows 7 in pure UEFI.

I mean pure UEFI as "UEFI without legacy or without CSM".

You've mentioned by yourself that windows 7 can not be installed without legacy compatibility.

I've just googled and this is due to windows 7 graphic driver that need CSM support.

Thank you. I will try this!

One last question, you've done it in alienware right?

Asking because, not only me but Mr Fox and everyone I know failed to install windows 7 in pure UEFI.

I mean pure UEFI as "UEFI without legacy or without CSM".

You've mentioned by yourself that windows 7 can not be installed without legacy compatibility.

I've just googled and this is due to windows 7 graphic driver that need CSM support.

Yes it works, follow this. Include PartedMagic.

post-3012-14494998848002_thumb.png

"HARU" deserves all the credits for "UEFI". Dangerous...:D

Yes it works, follow this. Include PartedMagic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13257[/ATTACH]

"HARU" deserves all the credits for "UEFI". Dangerous...:D

Do I just nned to use partedmagic to make a USB stick using win DVD?

Then use the USB to install windows? THat's it?

One more question, what is this method different from installing windows 7 using DVD (UEFI: DVD)?

Okay, I can install win7 in UEFI without legacy. But then it freezes at "starting windows". @J95, @ssj92, Dont your alienware freezes after installing win7 in TRUE UEFI without legacy or CSM?

w7 will install in uefi mode.

a) format your usb stick with FAT32;

B) extract all the contents from windows 7 iso into the formatted usb stick;

c) if you have a working windows 7 64bit, find C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi; if not, use 7-zip to open the install.wim in x:\sources\ (select > right click > open archive). then in the 7-zip explorer, browse to folder '1\Windows\Boot\EFI\'. extract the file bootmgfw.efi.

d) now in you usb stick, create a 'boot' folder in the 'efi' folder (i.e. x:\efi\boot) if it's missing. in that efi folder you should see the 'microsoft' folder also.

e) put the bootmgfw.efi inside the newly created 'boot' folder and rename it as bootx64.efi (x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi)

also make sure the disk is a gpt disk.

good luck.

w7 will install in uefi mode.

a) format your usb stick with FAT32;

B) extract all the contents from windows 7 iso into the formatted usb stick;

c) if you have a working windows 7 64bit, find C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi; if not, use 7-zip to open the install.wim in x:\sources\ (select > right click > open archive). then in the 7-zip explorer, browse to folder '1\Windows\Boot\EFI\'. extract the file bootmgfw.efi.

d) now in you usb stick, create a 'boot' folder in the 'efi' folder (i.e. x:\efi\boot) if it's missing. in that efi folder you should see the 'microsoft' folder also.

e) put the bootmgfw.efi inside the newly created 'boot' folder and rename it as bootx64.efi (x:\efi\boot\bootx64.efi)

also make sure the disk is a gpt disk.

good luck.

That doens't work. Tried that already.

We are not talking about UEFI with legacy load but UEFI without legacy load.

Okay okay hang on. First you do not need any special software. All you need is a stock windows 7 sp1 iso. Just burn it to a dvd or use rufus like shown above to make the bootable usb. The windows 7 sp1 dvd that comes with the alienwares is fine!

Second, this is very important! MAKE SURE fast boot and secure boot are turned off! You only need uefi on with the legacy rom option disabled. You do not need fast boot and secure boot on. This is why windows 7 gets stuck at starting windows!

And yes godfafa I've installed windows 7 sp1 on my m18xr2 in pure uefi mode with fast boot/secure boot off. I literally had it running that a few months ago until I installed windows 10.

Just realized you got it to starting windows! All you need to do is disable fast boot/secure boot then try booting again and it should work!

Good luck!

so in order to get 980m sli working in either alienware 18 or the alienware m18x r2. It is just plug and play i have UEFI with legacy disabled? Will there be any inf modding I need to do?

Is there a specific 980m i need to get for alienware or will all 980m work for sli configuration in alienware 18/m18x r2

Thanks!

so in order to get 980m sli working in either alienware 18 or the alienware m18x r2. It is just plug and play i have UEFI with legacy disabled? Will there be any inf modding I need to do?

Is there a specific 980m i need to get for alienware or will all 980m work for sli configuration in alienware 18/m18x r2

Thanks!

It sounds like it's plug n play with uefi. You will still need to modify the inf file. I'd wait a tiny bit longer to see how things play our here. It looks like windows 8 is working, we'e trying to get windows 7 to work as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I followed your instructions as to how to install windows 7 with uefi without legacy, and I am stuck on the "starting windows" page, the windows logo doesnt look like its freezing, but both the usb and the hdd activity led show there is no load. after 1 hour, I just forced shut down.

So what you guys are saying is 980m only work with windows 8 for now. And on top of that you have to completely reinstall it a different way just so the computer can detect the cards. I have the newest alienware 17 with 60hz screen and windows 7. I would rather take my chances with only having optimus mode than go through all that. Plus windows 8 sucks.

Maybe when alienware decides to sell systems with 980m we can buy one from them and not have to deal with all these issues.

Fingers crossed it all gets sorted out better for us alienware owners.

And I also would like to thank all the guys that have been spending all their time working on the alienware machines with these cards trying to get them to function properly so the rest of us could enjoy the 980m experience. Cudos to you.

Do I just nned to use partedmagic to make a USB stick using win DVD?

Then use the USB to install windows? THat's it?

One more question, what is this method different from installing windows 7 using DVD (UEFI: DVD)?

Okay, I can install win7 in UEFI without legacy. But then it freezes at "starting windows". @J95, @ssj92, Dont your alienware freezes after installing win7 in TRUE UEFI without legacy or CSM?

I tried this twice, first one was successful and the other one required boot files. Backup/Image of current MBR installation then follow this, don't skip anything

UEFI with legacy support. Beeping or at least you can enter the BIOS?

It sounds like it's plug n play with uefi. You will still need to modify the inf file. I'd wait a tiny bit longer to see how things play our here. It looks like windows 8 is working, we'e trying to get windows 7 to work as well.

What have you guys tried? I cannot get Windows 7 to install with UEFI unless I use Legacy Option ROM. Secure Boot and Fast Boot are disabled. Installation goes well until the first reboot after expanding files is complete. It freezes just before or immediately after rebooting, on the Welcome screen with the animated Windows logo. I have two M18xR2 and both exhibit identical behavior booting USB EFI and DVD EFI. Both are running an unlocked A11 BIOS. I have tried both MBR and GPT disk format and the behavior is always the same. I have used OEM Alienware DVD Windows 7 x64 Pro and Ultimate, as well as two different versions of Windows 7 OEM ISO from Digital River... SP1 multi-version and SP1U English x64 Pro and Ultimate. I am allowing Windows Setup to create its own partitions on GPT disks with unallocated disk space.

Below are the BIOS settings that do not work for me with Windows 7. Any tips or help you can provide to get this working would be appreciated. I almost want to skip 980M SLI because I hate Windows 8's CPU performance killing with a passion.

Edit: ssj92, what BIOS version have you found this to work with the M18xR2. I am wondering if Alienware maybe screwed something up with the BIOS that makes it not work. I have a "Windows 8 motherboard" (embedded key for Windows 8) but that should make no difference as far as I know.

RcBheNfh.jpg

^Those are the identical settings I had when it worked. I used my windows 7 ultimate x64 sp1 dvd that came with my alienware.

I'm using A10 unlocked bios. The motherboard is pre-windows 8 but that shouldn't make a difference.

Have you tried a fresh clean hard drive? One without any current partitions? I highly recommend a clean drive so if anyone has a spare drive definitely try that.

I GOT IT!

Mr Fox and friends I just tried booting 7 on my girlfriends 17 since I don't have my m18x with me and it was also getting stuck at starting windows.

Here's what I did. First go to the bios and turn the boot setting to uefi. Now turn off fast boot and secure boot. Then turn ON legacy option rom.

The next step is important. Insert your dvd/usb and press f12 to open up the boot selection device. Make sure to select the dvd/usb under UEFI boot and not legacy boot! This will boot the windows 7 install in uefi mode.

Now let windows install. Once it has completed 100% you may go back to the bios and disable legacy option rom. You should end up with a true uefi windows 7 install at the end. I think this may have been how I also installed on my m18x in uefi but I don't exactly remember, I'd have to try it out.

See if this allows the 980M to work.

• Thumbs Up 1