Going to test clevo 980m in alienware m17x R4, m18x R2, AW17

godfafa

Damn Good job @godfafa, really appreciate your work. I believe Mr.Fox first trick about UEFI was correct. were dumb couldnt figure it out.

yeah he is god of alienware, and my hyung nim.

- - - Updated - - -

if my vga doesnt gots p04 board, will work???

all cards are the same.

you just need v10 or v12 for single, two v12 for sli

you u need to know, I've writen down, bro.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn Good job @godfafa, really appreciate your work. I believe Mr.Fox first trick about UEFI was correct. were dumb couldnt figure it out. Thanks for detailed info. Actually im not fan of win8 but got to used to with it.

Yeah if you and I were fan of win8, I dont think this thread had even begun in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 2

So all we have to do is use Windows 8.1 and UEFI boot and it will work ås plug and play with any Alienware machines?!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG

OMG

OMG

Thanks for the testing and the good news gofata. That nobody saw this easy method is all in the past.

Off to get me one of those Alienware 18 machines and upgrading the GPU :D

Peterx, you should confirm it working in AW18 as well. That would help greatly and be a final confirmation

So all we have to do is use Windows 8.1 and UEFI boot and it will work ås plug and play with any Alienware machines?!

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG OMG

OMG OMG

OMG

OMG

Thanks for the testing and the good news gofata. That nobody saw this easy method is all in the past.

Off to get me one of those Alienware 18 machines and upgrading the GPU :D

Peterx, you should confirm it working in AW18 as well. That would help greatly and be a final confirmation

lalalal whtaa i dont have Aw18 thank god. I got my lovely M18x R2 and this baby gona love New cards now hopefully!!

@godfafa you can install win 7 using UEFI, check this out UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums

I believe im goin to offline for about 1 hour now :D

Yeah I can install win7 UEFI with legacy enabled. But not without legacy.

is it still possible?

works in 3d screen??? optimus enabled or could be disable???? please, send me vbios frien, I didnt can start any game with my own.,...

You dont need a special vbios.

Just boot up the notebook without the GTX 980M installed (You cant access BIOS with 980M with Legacy enabled) and go to BIOS settings and set it to boot as UEFI (enable it) and disable Legacy.

Save and continue.

Open the notebook up and install the GTX 980M. After that is done, just turn the power on like normal and it should work regardless if you have Optimus enabled or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Windows 7 requires either Legacy boot, or UEFI w/ Legacy Option ROM. Brother godfafa, are you using the BIOS option shown in the second photo?

Pure Legacy Mode (no UEFI support):

post-119-14494998845413_thumb.jpg

UEFI w/ Legacy Option ROM: (Can use UEFI Windows Boot Manager)

post-119-14494998845965_thumb.jpg

I have never been able to get Windows 7 install or boot with this BIOS configuration, even using a UEFI USB stick with GPT disk configuration.

Note: This is pure UEFI with no Legacy Boot support. If I am not mistaken, only Windows 8 and newer supports this BIOS configuration.

post-119-14494998846525_thumb.jpg

Windows 7 requires either Legacy boot, or UEFI w/ Legacy Option ROM. Brother godfafa, are you using the BIOS option shown in the second photo?

Pure Legacy Mode (no UEFI support):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13253[/ATTACH]

UEFI w/ Legacy Option ROM: (Can use UEFI ㅆWindows Boot Manager)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13254[/ATTACH]

I have never been able to get Windows 7 install or boot with this BIOS configuration, even using a UEFI USB stick with GPT disk configuration.

Note: This is pure UEFI with no Legacy Boot support. If I am not mistaken, only Windows 8 and newer supports this BIOS configuration.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13255[/ATTACH]

Me neither. Not able to install win7. The last picture is the one we need. I think if we want to use win7, we need a new bios or a new vbios that has legacy boot rom.

Me neither. Not able to install win7. The last picture is the one we need.
Well, hell... that really sucks. I mean, I'm happy 980M SLI is working great now, but c'mon... Windows 8, LOL. Gimme a break Micro$haft. Looks like were are already going down the slippery slope to Micro$haft having OEMs by the short hairs if these GPUs have a vBIOS that tries to force use of Windows 8 or newer OS.

Maybe this does relate to Alienware BIOS then. There may be something missing or perhaps the UEFI version is weird. Does it work on Clevo with Windows 7?

Wonder if installing Windows 7 with Legacy Option ROM, then turn it off and install Windows 8 with it off on another partition, then use Windows 8 Boot Manager to load Windows 7 might work. You can go to the menu in Windows 8 to "load another operating system" and choose Windows 7. I could put up with that if I had to.

I'm stoked it's working but guttered if it only works with Windows 8.

Not sure if I will go that way..

Yeah, me neither. What the heck... so, we gain the benefit of 980M SLI, but must be willing to sacrifice physics performance and disqualify the most meaningful benchmark scores on HWBOT by using Windows 8. I agree... not sure at this point that downgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 is worth it just to get 980M SLI. I've already got both and think Windows 8 is just a digital facsimile of canine defecation. I'll have to sleep on it a few times to make a decision about whether or not it's actually worth it.

GTX 980M is working on Clevo with Windows 7.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13256[/ATTACH]

Will try to install Windows 7 under UEFI on Alienware 17 with GTX980M.

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

How old is the Clevo. I am wondering if the older Clevos (2011, 2012) work with 980M? Maybe the newer Clevos and Alienware 17 and 18 have a newer UEFI version that supports Windows 7 without Legacy mode?

Based on this information, it may explain why 980M does not work on the M17xR3 and probably will not work on the M18xR1. I suppose there is still a possibility that there is something missing in the vBIOS for Alienware that perhaps disabling Legacy BIOS support circumvents or side-steps. It that is the case, a vBIOS mod might fix this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm stoked it's working but guttered if it only works with Windows 8.

Not sure if I will go that way..

(double post)
I thought maybe you repeated yourself just to show emphasis. ;)

Cool, thanks for the heads up.

How old is the Clevo. I am wondering if the older Clevos (2011, 2012) work with 980M? Maybe the newer Clevos and Alienware 17 and 18 have a newer UEFI version that supports Windows 7 without Legacy mode?

Based on this information, it may explain why 980M does not work on the M17xR3 and probably will not work on the M18xR1.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought maybe you repeated yourself just to show emphasis. ;)

It was Clevo P151SM1 (unlocked Prema BIOS) with core i7 4700MQ, chipset Intel HM87 (Lynx Point), and GTX770M. No problem with installing and work GTX980M under Legacy mode on Windows7 x64. I tried to install GTX980M in my AW 17 3D (2013) under Legacy Mode on Windows7 x64 - and without success. I think that the problem in the Alienware BIOS because in Clevo (unlocked Prema BIOS) everything worked without problems. Today I will try to install Windows7 x64 under UEFI on AW17 with GTX980M - and of course, I will write here.

Update: on Clevo GTX980M worked with Optimus (no 3D 120Hz screen on this Clevo)

Update 2: The main thing in AW17 3D and AW18 is work without Optimus, and inside BIOS there is something that limits the work in Legacy mode - so this is the reason why we cant run our GTX980M on Windows 7 under Legacy mode.

• Thumbs Up 1