EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
skwisgaar

i7-2920xm engineering sample

Yup, that's the idea. At this point I still haven't got the quote for the project but when it's ready will have to decide.

The heatsink itself won't be expensive but prototyping is very expensive. So even if the HS is ~50$, if it's 3k to design it...will see.

Well, you'll obviously have to put some of the developing cost to the final price... I imagine people would be willing to pay $80-100 if it makes a huge difference, even though it's expensive. But that's how it is with custom, low volume production hardware.

Edit: Designing it shouldn't be too hard, especially if you have some CAD skills (or know someone), but I think the production will be expensive especially because it needs custom heatpipes, or isn't this that expensive after all?

Edited by svl7

I would also happily pay $100 + postage, maybe even more if it does a great job.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, people will understand that this isnt any stock intel or dell heatsink, it would be akin to the higher end air coolers that people buy for their gaming PC's. Same thing, but more complex to build. I am sure you will be able to sell more than 30 of these at $100USD, especially on ebay.

-Ash

For less than $20/pcs... go and buy the whole stock!!!

Judging from skwisgaar's photo, 3 pipes could possibly fit in that design...

Three if you don't modify the CPU part ;) With a complete redesign 4 pipes are possible according to our thermal application engineer.

Is there any reason why your engineer suggests more and thinner pipes than lets say one or two bigger ones? (keeping the same amount of copper in both cases)

yes, the reason is with thinner pipes you don't have to flatten them and flattening on its own decreases the heat transfer. Ideally you have to keep them cylinder-shaped. So, even 3 smaller by unflattened pipes would increase thermal flow. And we are talking about extra modifications. First is to build a new bigger copper plate and submerge the pipes inside instead of simply soldering from above. Second place the other ends inside the radiator fins. We are still looking for the best approach that won't cost 10k lol

Understood, the bigger copper plate sounds good too. So basically if you can create a single piece of copper without soldering pieces together it should increase the efficiency as well. Would that be possible by making a mold and cast copper alloy?

Ok, so I installed the 2-piped HS and the temps dropped substantially. Was hitting 90C (peak) in 3DMark06 @ stock clocks and now I'm under 85C in Prime95 @ level 1. Level3 is a no go though, still hitting 90C+ in Prime95. I guess, the 4-pipe HS is a must now. Will continue the research and keep you guys posted!

I'm trying to hold off on ordering a twin pipe in hopes of your version appearing. :)

This may take some time, the companies I'm working with are very busy and slow, can't speed them up :(

Kidnap their children. It's amazing how quickly that will speed things up. Works every time. :P

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 5

Hi there

could please someone order one M18X CPU double heatpipe heatsink for me?

Here in Germany Dell wont sell me one.

I would pay for the trouble

greets NoFear

Hi there

could please someone order one M18X CPU double heatpipe heatsink for me?

Here in Germany Dell wont sell me one.

I would pay for the trouble

greets NoFear

*Sigh

If anyone could add me to that list, I'll also pay full shipping to AUS etc.

You guys better find someone in the US since the US Dell price for a single 2-piped HS is only 20$ while in Canada it's 50$ (they charge shipping too :( )