i7-2920xm engineering sample

Hello Everyone, I'm new to TI and also new to Alienware. I have recently ordered an m18x. I ordered the base CPU with plans of upgrading to the 2920xm at some point. I have been looking on ebay and have found some i7-2920xm ES with a 2.4Ghz/3.4Ghz speed. Has anyone had any experience with these or do you have any thoughts on purchasing this. They are quite cheap at the moment.

Intel i7 mobile CPU i7 2920xm ES 2.4Ghz | eBay

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

I would love to see the throttlestop results with this CPU.

If it works well, I will have to pick up an m18x - especially now that in Aus we get the 6990m xfire. While I like the idea of the 580m sli... it just isnt worth the extra cash.

Also, for everyone worried about random reads/writes with your crappy h67 chipset - I have a solution of sorts.

FancyCache Overview

Install and run. Give it 2-4gb (or more if you got it) of RAM (but make sure your PC is STABLE first!) and you will get some pretty ridiculous speeds, as while the CPU is slowly ramping up to get the HDD reads up to scratch the ram cache is already there and waiting, and it largely mitigates the performance problems of the H67 chipset.

For a base config with the 6990m, it will cost me 3.2k AUD - still a lot more than the US price but I am unsure of what the 6990m crossfire will cost yet, as it hasnt hit the US site.

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 1

Aikimox- Glad to see you got the 2920xm installed. I sent you a PM over at NBR with a config I built on the Dell/CA site. I was going to wait to purchase but my trigger finger is getting ichy. Look forward to hearing from you.

Stock clocks, temps are 3C higher than on 2630QM on average (at load). Idle temps are the same. Wprime 1024 - 313sec. slightly better than the 2820QM.

Trying Level 3 - ....

Ok, so the single piped HS is a no go at lvl 3 - hitting 97C in wprime 1024. Will see if I can keep the core multipliers but disable TB...

Edited by Aikimox

Wow, if you disable TB and up the multi's the CPU benches drop a bit but the temps drop by 20-25C across the board. Finished the 1024 run in 360sec but never got above 75C. Screw the boost I say, if I can keep the multi's high enough and control the temps....hmmm

• Thumbs Up 1

Nah, shouldn't deactivate TB... you want to use your 2920xm :). The system will run very hot during so long and intense tests, in my experience it's easily possible to run an overclock that would cause throttling during a 1024M test without issues in real life use (this includes gaming). E.g. with my 920xm it's no problem to run at 25x for gaming, but it will heat up like crazy in a 1024M test.

If the cooling is sufficient, your 2920xm should be able to handle a 1024M test in less than 200 seconds, but this won't work with additional cooling...

You've go some interesting settings there in the BIOS, flex VID override for example, do you know what it does? What's the description for it if you select it? Also what does it say for "Non-Turbo flex support" and "Override Turbo settings"?

This processor seems like a lot of fun for benching!! Want! :D

Edited by svl7
  • Thumbs Up 1