M17x R3 LCD screen "blue" static

MJ6

Hey guys. I've been a lurker on this forum for quite some time, and all the info I've found on the forums has been more than helpful, but it's time to reach out to you guys for some help and trouble shooting.

I have an M17x R3 that I purchased back in early 2012, right before I PCS'd to Guam. Loved it.

Fast forward about 6 months and I noticed the laptop screen looked like it had what can only be described as "blue static" running across it. I attempted to update my drivers for the video card (Nvidia 580m), but nothing changed. Of note, while the laptop screen would get this issue, when I would connect my laptop to my TV via HDMI, the TV screen looked perfect.

Eventually I ended up calling Dell customer support (which is obviously a misnomer) and convinced the rep to send me out a replacement screen as I had no technicians in my area and wasn't going to risk sending it to them overseas. Fast forward: I received the screen, installed it, booted it up, and it was even worse that the original screen. Called again, got another screen sent. It's worth mentioning that Dell refuses to send new replacement parts and opts to send "refurbished" items that lack any semblance of quality control.

This went on for about three months with six different screens, each one with either the same problem or another greater issue with the refurbished screen. At this point, I pretty much said screw it since I have it hooked up to my TV the majority of the time.

About 6 months ago I came across this site and decided to upgrade my GPU to the Nvidia 780M. I followed the directions here and got it up and running. Now in the back of my head, I was hoping that maybe the previous "blue static" issue was a faulty GPU thing, but even with the new card the laptop screen had the same issue.

At this point, I'm at the end of my rope. Dell is obviously no help as my warranty is up (not like they helped previously anyways) and I'm lost as to what the issue could be. The only other option I can think of is that maybe it could be a motherboard issue, which confuses me as the HDMI function works flawlessly.

So, cliffnote version:

M17x R3

Blue static on laptop screen

HDMI to TV is fine

Replaced screen multiple times

Upgraded GPU

MB related?

Developing nervous tic

Thanks ahead of time for any insight you guys can provide

I'm pretty sure that the replacement screens I received included the attached display cable as well, but it obviously wouldn't hurt to double check it again.

I was able to source a replacement board (refurbished again) so now I'm just waiting for new thermal pads and what not before I tear it all down to bedrock. I'll update this post after the fact to help anyone in the future that may be encountering this issue.

Just in case anyone else gets this same issue, the faulty component was, indeed, the MB.

Swapping it out corrected the "blue static" issue and now it's as good as new.

One note when re-installing everything: make sure you plug the screen into the correct port and differentiate between the 3D and non-3D slots before freaking out at a white post screen for 45min like I did. It'll save you a lot of headache :P

• 2 weeks later...