Shared GPU between Desktop rMBP 13" (2014)

rapind

So this probably a total noob question, and sincere apologies if that's the case. I spent the last couple days searching around in these forums.

I would like to time share my existing desktop computer's GPU with my rMBP (rather than buying and upgrading 2 GPUs) and I'm not sure how to approach this or if it's doable. I'd like to drive my internal screen on the rMBP in Win7 Bootcamp. Desktop motherboard is a Gigabyte: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3.

1. Is it even possible to skip a separate enclosure and house the GPU in the desktop itself? Using the existing PSU and a slot? Assuming that I will use only one computer at a time, but in the same location (odd circumstances I know).

2. I assume I need an adapter like a Sonnet. Is there anything comparable but cheaper without the enclosure? Again, see #1 about leveraging the desktop case and PSU instead.

3. If I did use an enclosure like the Sonnet, would I be able to connect it to either desktop or laptop?

Thanks

The new ViDock DIY supposedly has many different adapters to allow you to connect one enclosure to many different computers. They posted a picture on their facebook page yesterday about the setup. Here's a link if you wanted to check it out:

https://www.facebook.com/VillageViDock

(It's the second soonest post they had, the one with How ViDock DIY connects to any form factor computer).

So this probably a total noob question, and sincere apologies if that's the case. I spent the last couple days searching around in these forums.

I would like to time share my existing desktop computer's GPU with my rMBP (rather than buying and upgrading 2 GPUs) and I'm not sure how to approach this or if it's doable. I'd like to drive my internal screen on the rMBP in Win7 Bootcamp. Desktop motherboard is a Gigabyte: GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3.

1. Is it even possible to skip a separate enclosure and house the GPU in the desktop itself? Using the existing PSU and a slot? Assuming that I will use only one computer at a time, but in the same location (odd circumstances I know).

2. I assume I need an adapter like a Sonnet. Is there anything comparable but cheaper without the enclosure? Again, see #1 about leveraging the desktop case and PSU instead.

3. If I did use an enclosure like the Sonnet, would I be able to connect it to either desktop or laptop?

Thanks

2. Please read http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24200-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

3. Your Thunderbolt eGPU implementation can be attached to any notebook or desktop with a Thunderbolt port. Your GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 desktop systemboard has no Thunderbolt port so would require adding one using a PCIe slot: Amazon.com: ASUS ThunderboltEX II Components: Computers & Accessories