MSI GT70 no post black screen after video card upgrade from 675M to 680M

http://forum.notebookrevi

Good day everyone,

I had to replace gtx 675M (dead) with 680M on my MSI GT70 0nd-202US laptop

CPU: Intel i7-3610QM

GTX 675M is the original card (now dead)

Motherboard: MS-1762

Chipset: HM77 / Intel Ivy Bridge

I bought it on ebay and in the description it was said that it is compatible with MSI GT70. Later seller confirmed that as well. This is the item:

NVIDIA GeForce Dell GTX 680M 2GB DDR5 for MSI Clevo Alienware Upgrademonkey | eBay

It is a green card. On some forums I read that you have to use the blue one for clevo. But as I said in the description in was said that it's compatible for MSI GT70.

Anyway, after installation I got no POST and black screen. If I remove the GTX 680M everything works and loads normally again.

My question is is there anything that can be done to get the laptop to work with this graphics card (BIOS update maybe? There are no official BIOS updates on MSI's

website though... My current BIOS version is 10U) or I just should return it to the seller?

Thank you

Hi, i had the same problem after the same upgrade. The solution is simple: flash MSI vbios (there is 2GB version too) to the card ald it will work normally. In my case I coudn't to this in THE GT70 due to the black screen, but i used another one (haswell) - this one started and i was able to flash vbios. There is nothing to do with the GT70 bios, You need to flash card only. And I don't take responsibility for Your flashing, but hope it would success:)

680stock.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes I know that you have to flash vBIOS and not the BIOS of the main board :) Just to be sure, was your video card Dell gtx 680M with 2GB of memory? I found collection of vBIOS on a website for this card but they only have 4GB version for the MSI version. Video Bios Collection | techPowerUp I read that it could brick the card if you use a different memory size vBIOS. Are there any other websites that provive vBIOS?

Does anyone have this same card with the MSI vBIOS? Could you please save the .rom file and somehow upload it? I will try to download the attachment jelenn gave me as well if I'm finally able to.. :) I just want to be sure it works.

You know, I was ready to send the card back for a refund even though the vendor told me they'd mail me the same card with the MSI vBIOS. After reading this thread I thought it wasn't possible and I'd just have to pay double triple price for shipping http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/7176-gt70-0ne-dead-680m-got-gtx-680m-alienware-m18xr2-m17xr4.html

I tried to see if the USB drive can be accessed while the 680M is installed and I was not able to boot from it even when I removed my hard drives, even though it booted and executed the commands I added to the AUTOEXEC.BAT without the 680M installed. So I guess there is really no POST, it's not just the black screen, and so I can't flash the video card.

Thank you again, jelenn for your reply. It gave me hope that the video card would work after all on my system, but unfortunately there's no way to boot from USB and flash vBIOS if you can't even get to the POST, is there?

There is an option of having a service center flash the vBIOS but to the best of my knowledge they pull the bios chip off and then flash it. This will not the solution I want though because if the card still doesn't work after that I won't be able to return it for a refund, which is what I'm gonna do.

I'm hoping this bad experience is going to help someone else make the right decision.

Best

As I said before, it was impossible for me to flash the vbios on the 0ND (ivy), but there wasn't any problem for the 2OC (haswell) - it just started using Hd4600 so I was able to flash. The vBios works - I'm using it right now and somehow it's dedicated to the 2GB cards (i bought dell and now it works as MSI), after You flash I can send You unlocked and OV version of it.

And for the flashing I still have no idea how to make it, except using a haswell GT70.

Finally the system allowed me to download the file. It's comforting to know that you have the Dell GTX 680M 2GB working on an MSI GT70 0ND laptop. I decided to take my chances and I'm going to have a computer company flash the vBIOS you gave me on the video card. It's going to take 1-3 days and I will let you know how it went.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never heard of flashing an MSI vBIOS onto a Dell card working for Nvidia cards. I am aware of only Clevo cards being able to run an MSI vBIOS.

Does that mean that you only heard of failed attempts to flash an MSI 2GB vBIOS onto a Dell 2GB video card? Or you have no idea if it's going to work?

• 2 weeks later...

The video card has been flashed in a service center with the vBIOS jelenn gave and the card works great so far; no BSODs or other errors with the latest 344.65 driver installed.

Thank you again for your help, jelenn. If you want you can send me your unlocked files but I think I will stick with the stock ones for now because fps are high enough for me in video games.

• 8 months later...

sorry to dig up an old thread - but i'm having an almost identical issue

I have an Ibuypower CZ-17 (uses the same MB as the Dell / Clevo) and my GTX 675m is failing - so I was able to get the Dell 2gb version of the 680m

i swapped the MB bios to the MSI one so it at least posts and gets past the black screen - but where do i find a Vbios for a 2gb card for an MSI / Clevo rather than the Dell so that it can recognize the card and use it?

Thanks for any assistance!

• 4 weeks later...
I have never heard of flashing an MSI vBIOS onto a Dell card working for Nvidia cards. I am aware of only Clevo cards being able to run an MSI vBIOS.

it is possible, but it doesnt work on all cards.

I flashed MSI vBios on Dell GTX560m, 570m, 580, 675M cards. Everything worked. (there were some problems with Fn+up arrow to change brightness on dell 675m + MSI vBios)

When I tried to flash MSI vBios on Dell GTX 770M, it bricked the card. Wasnt sure if it was my mistake, so I tried on another Dell 770M card and it bricked it as well.

Conclusion, you can flash MSI vBios on some Dell nvidia cards. Just do your research and try to find out if anyone succeeded. If you dont find anything, its 50/50.

• 1 year later...

Or can somebody help me with my problem:

I have MSI GT70 0nc LT(Laptop.) My old MSI GTX 670M 3GB died and I got Alienware GTX 680M 2GB for free. The card works time by time, but the LT crashes very often and sometimes the laptop recognizes it, sometimes not. Even when he recognizes it, the LT works VERY SLOW and after working for about 10-15 minutes, the GPU crashes and can't use it anymore, so I have to shut down, wait for 15 min. and power on again. (cuz it won't boot immediately after shutting down). 

When I pull of the GPU, my LT works flawlessly. The very moment I put it back, the LT starts lagging, crashing, rebooting by itself, etc etc.

Will flashing vBIOS help in my case?

I found 3 vBIOS:

DELL 2GB ->                      https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/128059/dell-gtx680m-2048-120611
MSI 2GB (unverified) ->   https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/154729/154729
MSI 4GB (verified) ->       https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/131796/msi-gtx680m-4096-120604

Wich one of these should I flash on to my Alienware 680M?

Edited by Jeton

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, Bloetschkopf said:

Thank you Bloetschkopf. But what about giving me some help on flashing vBIOS? I never done that before and a little help will do me good :) Procedures and steps how can I do it with this type of GPU for my MSI notebook. Thank you in advance :)

No Problem.

You need a bootable USB Stick with Nvflash and the Vbios.

Please rename the Vbios to a easy Name like GTX680M.rom

You start from USB Stick in Legacy Mode with the Stick in a USB2.0.

Then You type:

nvflash -4 -5 -6 GTX680M.rom

Then You confirm all and it will flash the Vbios.

After this You restart.

nvflash_5.163.zip

How can I backup the actual GPU vBIOS, in case I screw up while flashing :D And how safe it is to flash a GPU, cuz i know flashing is kinda tricky!? Thank you very much for your help :)

Edited by Jeton