Questions about the Lenovo Y510P's GPU & other things.

Dukistamp

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a Lenovo Y510P with the following specs :

4th Gen Intel Core i7 - 4700MQ clocked @2.4Ghz with Turboboost up to 3.4Ghz & Hyper-threading up to 8 Cores (It's Haswell).

It comes with 8Gb of DDR3 RAM @1600Mhz (I think up to 32Gb Or 64Gb).

It's packing the Nvidia GT755M backed by 2Gb Of GDDR5 RAM (Not in SLI, So only one card, Ultrabay slot has got the CD/DVD-slot"

I assume it's using a Seagate 1TB HDD @5400RPM & One liteonite SSD with 24Gb.

So here are my questions :

First question :

Can I install Mac OSx along side windows ? Like on the SSD (For the record, I'm using Neirsh Mac OS Mavericks)

Second question :

Can I upgrade my gpu to a GTX 860M Or GTX 770M Or any GPU that's better than my current one ?

Third question :

Will overclocking my GPU harm it in anyway ? If No what are the possible overclock settings that I can use without harming my GPU.

Can I upgrade my gpu to a GTX 860M Or GTX 770M Or any GPU that's better than my current one ?

No only card that is usable is the GT750, you can however overclock it and get a nice little boost.

Will overclocking my GPU harm it in anyway ? If No what are the possible overclock settings that I can use without harming my GPU.

I haven't got my laptop with me at the moment, but I am sure someone else can help you with overclock settings.

Overclocking will definitely shorten the life of your GPU as more heat and more voltage and current will cause wear on the gpu. I always say "go fast or go OLD!"

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Not really sure about Hackintosh, but I know Optimus systems such as your Y510p are more difficult than non-Optimus systems as far as drivers are concerned.

2. GPU upgrades are impossible short of getting an Ultrabay 755M for SLI.

3. I wouldn't recommend it. 755M is already running close to its limits.

P.S. Max is 16GB RAM on this laptop.

• Thumbs Up 1

RAM max is 16GB, GPU - not a lot of options, you should have probably gone for the SLI version since you're looking to increase gaming performance, but that has issues on these laptops. And, if you're gaming on-line, I recommend plugging in vs wireless. The wireless cards on these are the worst. You can find some good info here... http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

yes, you can do hackintosh in y510p using niresh maverick. although you can only bring the intel graphics not nvidia because uncompatible nvidia optimus. you can't take the sli too. i had tried hackintosh in my y510p and currently it can't be stable, and still needed many patches for. but, it is worth to try if you wanted to :D

One thing to keep in mind, the cooling on these laptops are not great, at least without supplemental cooling or the fan mods.

I find that while gaming, the CPU thermal throttles quite a bit before my GPU hits 100% or high temps.

Even if you could replace the gpu to a more powerful card, I don't know if you'd be able to fully utilize it's power.