MSI GT70-0NC 670M i7 3610qm help for upgrading video card

jegarfor

Hi

I own one MSI GT70-0NC with a GTX 670M and i7 3610qm. The notebook had win 7 installed but I formated and installed win 8.1. I also have one raid 0 2x64gb ssd

Because I have seen a lot of problems in this forum with mxm upgrades I want to ask some things.

In the MSI webpage I can find win 7 bios and win 8 bios (ahci and raid) for this model. Mine is win 7 (even after I installed win 8.1?

is there a modded bios for this model? A bios to be better prepared to upgrade the vga card.

I don't know which cards are compatible. I thought to install one 870M-880M at least but I would prefer one 970M.....but, do you think it will be compatible with vbios modded or msi?

If I am only able to install one 870M or 880M what I have to do in order? I have read that it is important to modify an ini file in the drivers after installing the card (and after uploading msi vbios).

A lot of questions as you can see. I am searching to know what to do and how, in order to don't have a lot of problems. Also if you think we can wait for the 970M and see if someone tries it and there is a vbios compatible.......

thanks in advance

My laptop is the MSI GT70-0NC http://www.msi.com/product/nb/<wbr>GT70_0NC.html#hero-<wbr>specification also known as MS-1762 with the E1762IMS.30U bios

I don't know if it is better to put the 30P bios or try this one first if finally I got a new card. And if there is a 30p unlocked version. Also the ECM that I must use is the windows 7 or windows 8 version in the msi webpage? because my laptop came with windows 7 I know it is the 30u bios (seen with cpu-z)

Also if I need to buy the 2+1 gpu-cpu heatpipes heatsink and change the 3 heatpipe to radiator that I have

Perhaps the 770M is compatible but if you know a better nvidia card compatible too..... (780M or 870M)

I don't know if there will be heatsinks compatibles with the 970M for this computer

I think the best option is the 780M but I don't know if I must change the heatsink and put the "pro" version with one heatpipe going to the cpu. I would like to know if it the card without incompatibilities.

Yes, you need a new heatsink for the GTX780M or any other Kepler cards. But the GTX7 ** M series only works with the latest system BIOS version including the latest EC firmware. MSI has the last version the 50X (AHCI) or 70X (Raid) published, see here: MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Motherboard, Graphics and more

Whether the GTX7 ** M series work with this bios version, I can not say, but I know that you can use the 51X from GT60 Barebone and thus the GTX7 ** M series works. This version you can find in the appendix.

As a heatsink you can buy this version: MSI GT70 GT60 GT780 GT783 Replacement GPU Video Card Heatsink Nvidia 880M 780M | eBay that would be the best. In the range you still need, however, thermal pads, but since you can also use your old ones.

The graphics card I only know that the GTX7 ** M work fine. The GTX8 ** M could also work, but I do not know. The GTX9 ** M is very probably need a different heatsink, I would wait in your place, until there is some user reports, which have tested it in the old GT series. MSI itself used the card only in the GT72 series and there the GTX9 ** M series requires a different heatsink as the Kepler series.

Very important ... if you want to have no problems with any drivers or modified VBIOS versions, buy necessarily an original MSI card! These work fine when the latest system BIOS version is on the motherboard.

16f3 51x.zip

thanks, but I have the win 7 gt70. then my bios is the 30U. I supose it should work with this but I have prepared the 30P bios if finally I have to downgrade. The only thing I don't know is if the EC firmware needs to be the win 7 or it could be the win 8 because I don't know if must be the same. I mean win 7 bios + ecm win 7 or can be win 7 bios + ecm win 8

I have found one 780M with msi vbios, then I don't need to flash it. Also a neew heatsink for it not used.

Yes, you need a new heatsink for the GTX780M or any other Kepler cards. But the GTX7 ** M series only works with the latest system BIOS version including the latest EC firmware. MSI has the last version the 50X (AHCI) or 70X (Raid) published, see here: MSI Global - Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Motherboard, Graphics and more

Whether the GTX7 ** M series work with this bios version, I can not say, but I know that you can use the 51X from GT60 Barebone and thus the GTX7 ** M series works. This version you can find in the appendix.

As a heatsink you can buy this version: MSI GT70 GT60 GT780 GT783 Replacement GPU Video Card Heatsink Nvidia 880M 780M | eBay that would be the best. In the range you still need, however, thermal pads, but since you can also use your old ones.

The graphics card I only know that the GTX7 ** M work fine. The GTX8 ** M could also work, but I do not know. The GTX9 ** M is very probably need a different heatsink, I would wait in your place, until there is some user reports, which have tested it in the old GT series. MSI itself used the card only in the GT72 series and there the GTX9 ** M series requires a different heatsink as the Kepler series.

Very important ... if you want to have no problems with any drivers or modified VBIOS versions, buy necessarily an original MSI card! These work fine when the latest system BIOS version is on the motherboard.

are you sure I won't crash the computer with the x71 bios? and the ECM in this zip is the correct for a win 7 manufactured gt70? or it will work the same if the ECM firmware is for win 8

also, is this an unlocked bios? And my model is MS-1762 not MS-16f3

I supose uefi to legacy must be done AFTER uploading the x71 because now I don't have unlocked bios to change it. my 30U is not unlocked and I don't have the uefi to legacy option now .

thanks again.

You can also Use the Win8 Bios, you must only change the Biossetting from UEFI to Legacy, than works Win7 perfect. in the Win8 Bios is the Default setting UEFI.

Yes I'm sure, and no bios is not unlocked. It comes directly from the MSI server is a beta bios specifically for the use of newer graphics cards. in this thread to see even a user who has flashed his GT70 with the 51x BIOS to use its GTX780M can: http://forum.notebookreview.com/msi/760347-ms-1762-trouble-upgrading-780m. html

btw: i´m the user "likezero"

• Bios Modder
are you sure I won't crash the computer with the x71 bios? and the ECM in this zip is the correct for a win 7 manufactured gt70? or it will work the same if the ECM firmware is for win 8

also, is this an unlocked bios? And my model is MS-1762 not MS-16f3

I supose uefi to legacy must be done AFTER uploading the x71 because now I don't have unlocked bios to change it. my 30U is not unlocked and I don't have the uefi to legacy option now .

thanks again.

E1762IMS.51X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT70 (MS-1762) with AHCI configuration

E1762IMS.71X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT70 (MS-1762) with RAID configuration

E16F3IMS.51X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT60 (MS-16F3) with AHCI configuration

E16F3IMS.71X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT60 (MS-16F3) with RAID configuration

E1762IMS.30P - original MSI bios (beta) for Win 7 model GT70 (MS-1762), special revision

E16F3IMS.30P - original MSI bios (beta) for Win 7 model GT60 (MS-16F3), special revision

All this bioses is original MSI, beta and confidential, but it stable and work with GTX 7XXM cards.

Then the only one that I can use is this one according to the description because mine is a win 7 model E1762IMS.30P - original MSI bios (beta) for Win 7 model GT70 (MS-1762), special revision

Because x71 MS-1762 raid is for win 8

QUOTE=Klem;109837]E1762IMS.51X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT70 (MS-1762) with AHCI configuration

E1762IMS.71X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT70 (MS-1762) with RAID configuration

E16F3IMS.51X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT60 (MS-16F3) with AHCI configuration

E16F3IMS.71X - latest original MSI bios (beta) for Win 8 model GT60 (MS-16F3) with RAID configuration

E1762IMS.30P - original MSI bios (beta) for Win 7 model GT70 (MS-1762), special revision

E16F3IMS.30P - original MSI bios (beta) for Win 7 model GT60 (MS-16F3), special revision

All this bioses is original MSI, beta and confidential, but it stable and work with GTX 7XXM cards.

I updated my GT60 (16F3) with the latest .51X (AHCI) and i'm still using Win 7 and its 100% working!!! Many thanks to ItzZen and klem for the file and information.. In regards when upgrading the GPU to 880 or 980M, I hope someone out there would be brave enough to check it out and test to see if these two cards are working with 16F3 (GT60)

• Bios Modder

Does not matter which version Windows you are using now, Win7 or Win8! Important which operating system was installed when laptop was released from the factory.

For example, laptop was released from the factory with DOS or Win7, but now you use Win8. In this case you should use bios for Win7.

But if your laptop was released from the factory with Win8, but you now use Win7, then you should use bios for Win8.

Cross flashing is possible, but only with programmer device. Cross flashing by software is dangerous and dont correct for some bios data.

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/E1762IMS.30P.zip

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/E16F3IMS.30P.zip