Aspire 6930

long

I have a problem with Acer Aspire 6930 . it extremely overheating under just youtube watching for example. it has separate removable VGA card Nvidia Geforce 9300GS. As I can monitor in Aida64 - the GPU temperature is over 80 Celsius . I have cleaned the dust from fan but not replaced the thermal pads on chip and cpu. What do you think, replacing them will be lower the temps, or my VGA chip is dying slowly. Also there are no picture corruption while playing videoclips yet.

Best regards, Long

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I still own Acer Aspire 6930g, the temps you are getting is very high. My video card died and I replaced it with a quadro fx 770m 512mb ddr3 with vbios version 62.94.7A.01.06 and it works just fine, in your case it might be an upgrade since this card is gt9600m variant. For the temps the, ambient temp in here is 30 degrees and the card under load hits 77 max without without using fan control, if i use fan control utulity it drops just under 60 degrees. So you should get your thermal paste replaced Arctic mx-4 or Gelid GC Extreme depending on your the budget for both your cpu and gpu. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

It's not just a past. It's Acer, cheap stuff. I have two of them, so i know what i'am talking about. Acer has a big problem with heatpipes, get a small holes and cooling gas running away. All the Acer's. If your vent is clean, you will need to change all cooling system. 

• 1 year later...

Yes this is an old thread now but I will post what I know, if incase in the future anyone  with a 6930 sees this thread...
From my experience running a highly overclocked 9600m gt in the 6930 and running a core2 extreme x9100 overclocked @ 3.6ghz , the highest temp I would see under heavy gaming for hours would be the high 80s, regular use in the 60s and 70s. Thats for both cpu and gpu.

So I cant see a stock 9300 going anywhere near that so yeah as above probably a cooling pipe issue/blocked fan.

First thing I would try is making sure that theres fresh thermal paste on the gpu core and that its seated correctly. The 6930 cooling "plate" it lays down upon ive found can sometimes not make full contact if the thermal pads for the ram etc have moved out of stock position.

Edited by xchipx