Windows 8.1 or 7 on m14x r1

tedd69

• 3 weeks later...

Command center only works on 64 bit. There are adaptations of it for linux.

Also with Windows 7 your most likely to get modded drivers to work.

I have noticed windows 7 does run a litle more warm then 8 but thats probably neglagable compaired to the support available.

So Windows 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Also running 8.1 after upgrading from 7, to 8, to 8.1 and have encountered no problems with command center. I noticed that windows 8 did decrease cpu temp a slight amount and the obvious benefit of the laptop booting up faster was very nice.

In my oppinion Windows 8 is a big mistake to Microsoft. Some of my friends are running it on their machines and i am very disappointed of how Microsoft tried to put two OS into one. If you want to work and game, i think Windows 7 is the better choice so far (looking for Windows 10 though)

• Thumbs Up 1

In my oppinion Windows 8 is a big mistake to Microsoft. Some of my friends are running it on their machines and i am very disappointed of how Microsoft tried to put two OS into one. If you want to work and game, i think Windows 7 is the better choice so far (looking for Windows 10 though)

just loaded Windows 10 Technical Preview on a test machine and it is a lot better than 8.1...

just loaded Windows 10 Technical Preview on a test machine and it is a lot better than 8.1...

haha thought so. Microsoft always dies this, just take a look at the evolution of windows:

win 10: nice

win 8: crap

win 7: nice

win vista: crap

win xp: nice

win millenium: crap

and so on.

i think thats some kind of strategy or something xD

haha thought so. Microsoft always dies this, just take a look at the evolution of windows:

win 10: nice

and so on.

lmao yeah the strategy is release one solid build then release Microcrap and sell it for a similar premium price and market it as new shiny interface then fix the mass amount of mistakes with Microcrap and release that as a Service Pack maybe hold off on a few mistakes and release a second service pack :P finally to come to realize even with all the bandaids all the microcrap is still micro crap and they must work to release another solid build. But well you know because Microcrap was so great they must figure gee we might as call this new not so Microcrap Windows 10, yeah because skipping to nice even numbers is cool :D [emoji41]

lmao :end rant:

win 10: <del>nice</del> crap v.4.0

and so on.

There, I fixed that for you. They are calling it Windows 10 instead of Windows 8 SP4 because Windows 8 has been a dismal failure. It is a minor improvement over SP3 (8.1 Update 1) but still not as good as Windows 7.

- - - Updated - - -

I am using 8.1 with windows classic shell and I find it agreeable. All of the fancy 8.1 features are easy to ignore. I can't seem to convince the command center to install though.
Do you have Secure Boot disabled? If not, do that and leave that worthless crap turned off permanently. If it is already disabled, try rebooting with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled. A LOT of drivers refuse to install (even a few signed drivers) with DSE cancer enabled.

From the reviews ive read, you do get the increased boot time using Windows 8.1, but when it comes to gaming, performance wise, they are about equal. Some games get better fps on Win7, others do better on Win8. Im just not a fan of the way you have to navigate around in Window 8.1

• 1 month later...

I'm running 8.1 pro and after the initial annoyances like window defender and window update running on their own, I don't see what else is wrong with the window 8. Personally, I like the new UI and look of window 8, plus it's highly compatible.

• 1 month later...

I have been using windows 8 on the R1 since it came out with no problems at all. Windows 8.1 turned out to be faster. If you are planning to update download the unlocked A08 bios (not the one with the sata fix because that sometimes gets stuck on booting) enable the uefi boot; use the Microsoft windows 8.1 media creation tool to download you disk and put it on a USB or DVD. If you need drivers you can get most from the manufacturers websites and if you want I can give you mine which are the latest.

• 1 month later...

windows 7 for sure! I have seen too many complaints about windows 8. Do not tempt to try it out yourself. Microsoft really messed up on this one. It is a really good idea to try to consolidate tablet system and desktop system together, but microsoft made a horrible mistake when they executed the plan. Instead of giving users the control over with system to use, they forced all the users to use the same system which is a wired hybrid (tablet + desktop) system that works very slow and give users no chance to switch to tablet only or desktop only system.