220W Dell DA-2 AC adapter supplied with EXP GDC V6 kit

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 200W TDP

Performance results

3dmark06=19408

3dmark11.gpu=9113

3dmark-FS.gpu=5172

Comments

@Tech Inferno Fan, @all

Hey what's up guys! Finally my Lenovo G500 came back to life last night and I found HDD and WIFI pcie card had been replaced including the bottom cover where the tabs were already broke, thank god it was still honored (its warranty)

So my rig was back on its initial new phase,

Windows 8,

Bloatware crap,

No internet connectivity (tech support crappy and delayed)

EXP GDC V6 new since this first of the month

Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 200W TDP

Discrete Radeon 8750M had been diasbled, only intel hd 4000 was active when I received it back (an advantage!)

installed an old 12.1 Catalyst Mobility Driver

Rebooted, attached the mini PCIe connector, it got detected, rebooted again

and voila, it work! right of the box!

No error 43 in the device manager, it is detected properly since its name is RADEON 79XX

tested the following games;

COD MW2

COD MW1

L4D2

Tomb Raider Anniversary

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory

So far games were at playable FPSs, I tried them all at highest settings cause I was quite confident that the games where quite old and 3GB of GPU is such overkill but I noticed something, I was expecting FPS to be constant and stable (eg COD MW2) but it is quite choppy when looking at persons around..I wonder why

Such an amazing wonderful laptop pc innovation really! I was just dreaming of this setup back in 2010 now it is a reality!

Thanks to all who started this movement! especially to Tech Inferno Fan! more power to you!

and to all responsible persons not mentioned, you guys know who you are!

I will soon make a proper write up and documentation of this..soon

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan

GURU3d! That should be your new title man!

Do I need this setup 1.30 for my Lenovo G500 i5 3230M (HD 4000+Radeon HD 8750M) + EXP GDC V6 (Radeon HD 7950)?

It looks like the performance is x1.0 PCI-e 2.0 , I think I saw that somewhere in the device manager last night.

But it seems to me that the performance is a little bit bottlenecked thoug I don't see any error 43 or 12 in the device manager.

Please help me out Tech Inferno Fan

Yes I have successfully setup my Lenovo G500 and a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB 200W TDP (R9 280) via an EXP GDC V6 and will do a proper write up soon so good luck so us all and thanks so much to the forefathers of this eGPU art especially to Tech Inferno Fan!!

• Thumbs Up 1

@Tech Inferno Fan

GURU3d! That should be your new title man!

Do I need this setup 1.30 for my Lenovo G500 i5 3230M (HD 4000+Radeon HD 8750M) + EXP GDC V6 (Radeon HD 7950)?

It looks like the performance is x1.0 PCI-e 2.0 , I think I saw that somewhere in the device manager last night.

But it seems to me that the performance is a little bit bottlenecked thoug I don't see any error 43 or 12 in the device manager.

Please help me out Tech Inferno Fan

Setup 1.30 isn't going to help you gain any better performance with your HD7950. If you had a NVidia card, which is recommended for better performance, then it could help activate x1.2Opt. Can compare AMD vs NVidia x1 2.0 performance levels at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 and at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html#post42483 . NVidia Optimus internal LCD mode being a better performer and shipped free with NVidia cards as opposed to the LucidLogix Virtu equivalent you'd need for an AMD card.

• Thumbs Up 1

Setup 1.30 isn't going to help you gain any better performance with your HD7950. If you had a NVidia card, which is recommended for better performance, then it could help activate x1.2Opt. Can compare AMD vs NVidia x1 2.0 performance levels at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2747-%5Bguide%5D-12-dell-e6230-gtx660%40x1-2opt-hd7870%40x1-2-pe4l-ec060a-2-1b.html#post37197 and at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/3062-%5Bguide%5D-2012-13-mbp-gtx660ti-hd7870%40x2-2-th05.html#post42483 . NVidia Optimus internal LCD mode being a better performer and shipped free with NVidia cards as opposed to the LucidLogix Virtu equivalent you'd need for an AMD card.

Well I just downloaded now the necessary files like GPU-Z, CPU-Z, AMD Drivers 14.8, Intel HD 4000 driver and I will try to find what the speed really is of my PCIE port, prolly I will use AIDA64 to find out later tonight.

Thanks Tech Inferno Fan! even if I don't have to use your software 1.30, I will still send you $25 bucks soon as a sign of my appreciation and support to this fun and never ending experiment!

• Thumbs Up 1

I can vouch for the Lenovo G500 as a candidate for an eGPU (i5 3230M+AMD RADEON HD 8750M+4GB RAM+500GB HDD+Windows 8+out of the box support for an EXP GDC V6 (budget notebook LOL)

Did it myself with the EXP GDC V6 + Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 boost Rev 2.0 (225+W TDP)

• Thumbs Up 1

500 bucks aren't enough for a video editing PC, but with a GTX980 the total eGPU solution cost became not so price/performance convenient respect a say $1300 PC with a less powerful GPU but much more balanced in term of CPU, ram, HDD etc

Returning to ram thanks that's was exactly the kind of info I was searching for: I need all the possible ram for Resolve, so I need all my 8gb.

Some more questions please:

- what PSU did you use to power your 7950 boost?

- did you perform some benchmark to understand what's your performance vs a "standard" installation?

- do you need some special trick to make work the GPU or nothing special?

Sorry my eGPU write up is long overdue..I will make it soon once I will find the time

Answers to your questions;

1. I purchased an EXP GDC V6 with that Dell DA-2 adapter rated at 220 Watts.

2. Benchies will soon be on my overdue write up..I don't have a desktop PC by the way.

3. Basically my setup's just plug and play thank goodness (Lenovo G500 budget notebook). Attached the eGPU via mini PCIe, power on the Dell DA-2 adapter, turn on the laptop and that's it!

• 2 weeks later...
Discovered the arcane: leaderboard look at 3DMark.gpu component, so my marks are

3DMark Vantage.gpu = 24255

3DMark11.gpu = 7656

quite good and comparable to similar setup.

HIghest so far in 3dmark 06 hall of fame for our card Radeon HD 7950 Boost is at 40000, his setup consists of an i7 and crossfire. My theory is that out laptop's CPU TDP limit is what makes the bottleneck as well as the mini PCIE slot bandwidth.

My highest stable (OC attempts) score for 3dmark 06 is @ 19,408 (halfway of 40K) with catalyst 14.8 and, ocing a little bit at 1110MHz + 20% power while running that Ideafan application to make the CPU as cool as possible.

Here it is;

AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-3230M Processor,LENOVO INVALID

Here is the setup I was talking about;

AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4770K,ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH Z87 40,453 (CF + i7 4770K)

Performance results

3dmark06=19408

3dmark11.gpu=9113

3dmark.fs=5172

@jcagara08, I've split off the discussion from the DIY eGPU thread into a WIP guide. Feel free to populate as a complete GUIDE and when done will shuttle it off into the new DIY e-GPU Guides subsection.

Yes I will do it soon as I find time Tech Inferno Fan don't worry! I have almost reached a stable implementation so write up will be up very soon

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...