DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Did anyone succeed in getting gtx1060 work on 2015 early MBPr 13''? 

It seems like 2015 early MBPr 13'' do have many problems when it comes to egpu.

And I can see some people got gtx900s egpu working through windows 8.1 on external ssd, and some weird booting procedure, 

but I can't find any threads about GTX1000s working on 2015 early MBPr 13''. 

Is there anyone who got these two working together?

Hello. I just try to get work my first eGPU, and unfortunetlly i have a little issue. 
I use Sonet Echo III - D TB2 and Saphire Radeon RX480 Nitro 4g. I just install fresh system (sierra), have plug-in everything, but my system doesn't see the graphic card. In "This mac" ---> system report ---> PCI there is an information "An error occurred retrieving information about the PCI device."

Finally I was found automation script, and my macos found rx480 BUT, computer start working terrible SLOW. I don't know what's going on ... when i plug-out my eGPU computer still working as like he have 20 years old. I have iMac 5k (late 2014). 

Please, any help ? 

On 16.9.2016 at 3:49 PM, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Pls ensure you remove all existing NVidia drivers, the use "DDU" to remove NVidia registry entries as well as disable automatic driver installation and then install the latest Win10 GTX1060 driver. Check if there are any errors against the GTX1060 in Device Manager, eg: error 10, 12, 34.

Hi,

i tried again to get it work. Now i replaced my Corsair PSU with a Dell DA-2. There are a green and a blue light in the back of the Mainboard and if i fire the Akitio a blue light in the front.

Now when i'm booting in Windows 10 with enabled Iris Pro and disabled GT750m, the Epgu is detected but shows a yellow triangle. I tried to clean with Ddu in normal and safe mode. The drivers of the epgu are installed.

Has anyone a tipp, what the issue can be? 

Here are my specs again:

- Macbook Pro 2014 15", 16 Gb Ram, Flashdrive, dgpu Gt750m

- Dell DA-2

- Akitio Thunder 2

- Evga Gtx1060

My boot process:

- tried to fire from Macbook startup

- tried to wait after Wifi spinning wheel

- tried to fire when hit Windows

53 minutes ago, pixelvaganz said:

the Epgu is detected but shows a yellow triangle. I tried to clean with Ddu in normal and safe mode. The drivers of the epgu are installed.

Has anyone a tipp, what the issue can be?

It would help if you click on the eGPU and check the error number. If it's error 12 then can work through https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10718-2016-macbook-pros-and-egpus/&do=findComment&comment=152894

40 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

It would help if you click on the eGPU and check the error number. If it's error 12 then can work through https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10718-2016-macbook-pros-and-egpus/&do=findComment&comment=152894

After i started, it had the error 18, then switched to work, then error 43

28 minutes ago, pixelvaganz said:

After i started, it had the error 18, then switched to work, then error 43

What does "switched to work" mean? error 43 can be due to newer driver versions: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/10516-error-43-with-nvidia-37290-and-newer-drivers-use-37270/

7 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

What does "switched to work" mean? error 43 can be due to newer driver versions:

That means after i'm starting up the card showed error 18, then comes the decice detecting, the shows 1 second no errors and then switch to error 43. I'll try the 372.70 driver. Thank you

21 minutes ago, pixelvaganz said:

That means after i'm starting up the card showed error 18, then comes the decice detecting, the shows 1 second no errors and then switch to error 43. I'll try the 372.70 driver. Thank you

Now i tried the 372.70 and this is the result:

Unbenannt.PNG

13 minutes ago, pixelvaganz said:

Now i tried the 372.70 and this is the result:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/kb/310123#bookmark-39

Code 39

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:

• A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
Recommended resolution

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

1. In the device's Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

Note You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor's website.

54 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:
54 minutes ago, Tech Inferno Fan said:

Now i'm getting the error 43 again. What am i doing wrong? I read a lot of threads and tried everything they explained... I had a GTX970 before and it was the same problem. Can it be caused by my PSU? But it is the second PSU and the lights of the Akitio seem to be right... I'm stumped...

Hello all! Im new to this site, so forgive me if I screw up with formatting or information. I was wondering if I could get any help with getting my eGPU to work on my internal monitor, currently everything works great on my external monitor, but I would prefer to use my internal monitor. 

Computer Specs:

Model: late 2013 Macbook Pro

Integrated GPU: Intel

Dedicated GPU: Gtx 750m

eGPU: GTX 1070

Other notes: 

-Half the time I restart my computer and plug in my eGPU, I get a black screen for about 2 more reboots, then it finally works.

-Currently BIOS is Legacy

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2016 at 5:37 AM, pixelvaganz said:

Now i'm getting the error 43 again. What am i doing wrong? I read a lot of threads and tried everything they explained... I had a GTX970 before and it was the same problem. Can it be caused by my PSU? But it is the second PSU and the lights of the Akitio seem to be right... I'm stumped...

How are you triggering the external PSU?

The DA-2 requires 2 wires shorted to turn on.

Easy way to tell is green LED lighting up on it?

If green LED is dark, it isn't on.

"plugging it to socket" isn't a full answer.

Edited by MVC

My son has an old  early 2013 Macbook with Thunderbolt 1, will the aktitio thunder 2 work with it
and what performance can I expect from it? Percentage wise?
He wants to play dota2 on it. Do you think it will work?

And if I am not a bother, which graphics card should I use?
I don't want to solder or anything.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.11.2016 at 11:02 PM, MVC said:

The DA-2 requires 2 wires shorted to turn on.

Easy way to tell is green LED lighting up on it?

If green LED is dark, it isn't on.

"plugging it to socket" isn't a full answer.

Sorry, my english isn't very well. I shorted two cables and Dell Da-2 shows green light. I only use the 3 white cables (for +), the 3 black (for -) and a blue cable (as remote). Please look at the pictures. AK+ and AK- on the plug are the slots for the Akitio. I used the blue cable for remote and putted it to the AK- together with one black cable. The slots with only + and - are for the Gpu. I only use 4 cables on the pci-e slot on the GPU as you can see on the third picture (two + and two -). These are the cables from the + and - at the plug. 

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please advice me on the following. I currently have a mid 2012 MBPr TB1 with GTX970 on DA2 and 10.12.2

1 ) I would like to change my laptop and I am bidding on an iris only 2015 TB2 because I had enough of dGPU and I am having big crashes and various issues with automatic graphic switching. Is this a good idea ?

2 ) I was also thinking of tackling the web driver / update issue with Nvidia. As I understand AMD cards do not need additional drivers like Nvidia ? Can anyone recommend an AMD card with similar wattage for my DA2 that is also silent (fan off) on idle ?

Any feedback would be very helpful

Thank you

Edited by w4vz

• 1 month later...

Hey I have an gigabyte gtx 1060 in an akitio thunder2 hooked up to my macbook pro which has an i7-4770hq. I installed windows 10 via bootcamp since the 1060 wont run on macOS. Also I am using the internal display on my mac.  I am running the default benchmark on firestrike and only getting a score of 7680 and am trying to figure out why my score is so low? Any insight would be appreciated. 

Edited by microapple