DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

So, are you having the same problems with either GTX 480 or GTX 970? I had a GTX 480 in use for some months with the Akitio and then switched to the GTX 970, both work fine.

Now i have tested the GTX 480 with the Akitiobox. And what shall i say @Morv was totaly correct. With an Nvidia GPU there was no more issue with instability. I installed an additional Nvidia Driver to the existing amd driver. And connected it the external Monitor. Everything good so far. I will now test it with the GTX 970 and games that require a little more Power than Payday 2. @Morv & @Dschijn thank you guys 4 your amazing help & time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to say a thank you to alot of the members here, espesically @Dschijn @Tech Inferno Fan and whole host of other posters who have shared their experiences, good and bad. The bad experiences especially were as equally helpful as the more technical people were able to help them and me by proxy :).

I've just got got my akito box with a 970 up and working with both windows and osx and both seem pretty smooth. Took a bit of fiddling on the software side (had win 7 but deleted and installed 8.1 due to problems, from looking at other people 8 seemed a lot more stable). 

Basically changed my 2011 mbp from running 11fps on Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0 to 79fps. Pretty smart, just like all the people here who made this a thing!!!

Just need to sort out my box now and get it all enclosed and with a nice switch and suitable cooling, now it's all working!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello everyone!

Firstly, I'd like to thank the many users from here and their guides, which made possible the eGPU project that I assembled!
I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) and for the eGPU I bought an Akitio Thunder II and a Zotac GTX 970 4GB to feed an Asus monitor. For power I'm using a Dell DA-2 to both the Akitio and the GPU. It's currently up and running and it's awesome! Since the old days when I used a full desktop as a main machine that I was waiting for a good gaming experience, and maintaining the portability of the laptop is just perfect.

However, there are two remarks:

1 - I can't disconnect the ThunderBolt cable that come from the Akitio without first shutting down the machine. If I don't, then OS X will simply freeze and force reboot anyway. Although I don't like restarting my system everyday, I can live with that!

2 - This, however, is being quite disappointing and hopefully you guys can give me some insight: I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, a very compact USB audio interface which I use for day-to-day audio tasks, that outputs L-R signals to two Yamaha HS80M. The problem is, when the Akitio is connected via ThunderBolt, I experience several noises which correlates with the ongoing processing of the machine. What are my options?

All the best regards,

10 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@zanoni Can you place the eGPU and especially the PSU away from your audio setup? Also seperate the PSUs of both of them. Is the AKiTiO case closed?

Only under 3d load?

The case is opened until I manage to drill some holes on it. I've done as you suggested but still no luck: the noise is still the same. What do you mean by separate the PSUs of both of them? Right now I'm plugging the DA-2 A/C cord in the same surge protector with the two other cords of the Yamahas... The noises are very loud when running games!

T_T

58 minutes ago, Dschijn said:

Maybe anything from the eGPU is sending eletcro magnetic waves...

Do you think there is a way to avoid this? I've read somewhere about ground loops being responsible for similar noises, but I dont believe that's the case, right?

Just for the record, I've been able to reduce the hum by connecting the audio interface directly into the mac's USB. I was plugging it into a usb hub before. But the noises are still there and I've found a video that describes it perfectly: 

After watching I unplugged only the DVI cable coming out of my monitor and the all the noise is gone! Apparently, the problem is that video cables are not balanced and produce some grounding loops :(

Just a quick one which maybe has been reported before. I connect a few bits on usb and have noticed anything "unrecognised" for example charging my e-cig causes black screen problems. Not 100% at the moment as my boot success is around 33%. Will monitor without this connected as last few times its been 100% without.

Hi guys,
can the Dell DA-2 power supply handle the GTX 1080 (+Akitio) which consumes 180watt at 2114 MHz?

or do we/I need a new power supply.

Thank You!

UPDATE: the GTX 1080 is powered by a single 8 Pin connector ... so I guess the only thing we/I need is a 2x6pin to single 8 pin adapter.:super:

Edited by eGPUfan