DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Mate this egpu setup cost 600 for me it is lot of money and if it didn't work I would be really pissed. By the way for setup1.20 was really usefull.

I don't care at all what you paid. Other's bought their stuff as well. But guess what? They created a thread, posted the information needed and got help there. You instead post through several of threads where you keep asking some people for help although the thread has nothing to do with it. xD

I simply found that to be funny. That's all. Now have fun with your setup.

Hey guys, i have a problem, then i turn on computer in windows mode, the external display shows me only Microsoft logo and then just black screen. How i can solve this problem?

GTX 980

MacBook Pro Retina 650m

Everything! :D

How is your system is set up? Hardware? Software? OS?

the situation chnged, in device manager I get error 35(it says the computer does not have enough information about this device so the device could not work properly)

Windows 8.1 Proffesional

MacBook Pro Retina 650m

OSX 10.9

GPU GTX 980

Akitio Thunder PCIe 2

Did you apply the barrel plug mod?

How do you turn on your system?

Please try:

- turn on MB

- press and hold Alt-key

- wait for the boot chime and the selection menu

- turn on the conencted eGPU

- boot into OS

Did you apply the barrel plug mod?

How do you turn on your system?

Please try:

- turn on MB

- press and hold Alt-key

- wait for the boot chime and the selection menu

- turn on the conencted eGPU

- boot into OS

Yes.

Turning on Power, then starting a computer.

I tried, the same.

And more information: GPU got very hot in a few minutes

Does anyone can help?

Please read some guides and other discussions here. You are still proving way too less informations. You really need to explain as much as you can in detail so we can check all the problems. With that little info drops this can take days…

My first time I tried installing with EFI but I ran into many issues with the macbook, but mainly no iGPU, dGPU, or audio.

Here no gpu means there are errors and not invisible.

If I don't have an iGPU than this still won't work.

I tried looking around before but could't find anything good.

Have you seen any solutions to these issues?

My first time I tried installing with EFI but I ran into many issues with the macbook, but mainly no iGPU, dGPU, or audio.

Here no gpu means there are errors and not invisible.

If I don't have an iGPU than this still won't work.

I tried looking around before but could't find anything good.

Have you seen any solutions to these issues?

If you don't install via Bootcamp you have to install the Bootcamp Support software by yourself after the Windows installation. This is most probably the reason for all of your not working hardware issues.

Hello,

I have been running an eGPU setup consisting of a Macbook Pro, Akitio, and a GTX 980. I am wondering if it is safe to update to windows 10 once it comes out and still have the eGPU working. Right now, I am running Windows 8.1. I ask this, because I was never able to get my eGPU setup working on Windows 7, as I always ran into the device resource allocation bug.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have been running an eGPU setup consisting of a Macbook Pro, Akitio, and a GTX 980. I am wondering if it is safe to update to windows 10 once it comes out and still have the eGPU working. Right now, I am running Windows 8.1. I ask this, because I was never able to get my eGPU setup working on Windows 7, as I always ran into the device resource allocation bug.

Thanks!

I believe I have seen several people already who got their eGPU setup to work under Windows 10. So if you got it to work under Windows 8(.1), chances are very high you will also get it to work under Windows 10.

Edit: Here's a link of a guy who use Windows 10 as his OS: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9802-2013-15-macbook-pro-gt750m-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win10tp-%5Biregret%5D.html

Which of that cards? The links makes all 9 versionens possible :D

But I think that any of those cards will be fine, only the FTW+ and the SSC+ will have a 1x8-Pin and 1x6-Pin.