DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

It seems like i need a thunderbolt enclosure to make it work with windows external s. sd. I had osx with no problems. I can get windows installed and boot up every try. But when i install the camp drivers it al goes down hill. For example i get different results. First problem is that i get no audio. Next i get no display brightness buttons via keyboard. And lastly i tried i got such a big crash that my native ssd  was not booting until pram reset. And it dont end their my primary osx was not switching to intel graphics so i had no retina display found. Everything was so tiny. To fix that i had to plug in my egpu in order for my cpu to switch to the way it is suppose to be. Mind you, this occured when i was only installing windows camp drivers. The egpu wasnt even plugged in or even close to my mbpr. Seems like windows doesnt like to be run by external usb 3 

@Kr4nG I installed Windows 10 yesterday and had problems with the bootcamp drivers as well.

1. download the correct Bootcamp driver package from Apple

2. start the setup for installing the driver

3. my installation froze with the installation of the audio driver, so I went deeper into the driver folder and started the Realtek driver installtion driver manually. Do NOT reboot after the installation! Go to the Task Manager and kill the old realtek process. Bootcamp driver should continue installation

4. install the latest Geforce driver

5. Reboot

6. profit

14 hours ago, Dschijn said:

@Kr4nG I installed Windows 10 yesterday and had problems with the bootcamp drivers as well.

1. download the correct Bootcamp driver package from Apple

2. start the setup for installing the driver

3. my installation froze with the installation of the audio driver, so I went deeper into the driver folder and started the Realtek driver installtion driver manually. Do NOT reboot after the installation! Go to the Task Manager and kill the old realtek process. Bootcamp driver should continue installation

4. install the latest Geforce driver

5. Reboot

6. profit

Should I just install the drivers one by one? Mine got stuck at the realek drivers too. I wonder why it wont find the audio. Do you have working audio?

Yes i read your steps. I will try that. I have been doing those steps exactly from the beginning. Even before i even asked here but i think i was just impatient and rebooted. I will post updates with my setup once i get it worked out. Thanks for the tips. 

Hello Nando,

I'm trying to set up GTX 970 with my mac mini 2012 and AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe box. I tried DSDT override on bootcamp Windows 7 and I'm able to see the large memory, but unable to get rid of error 12.

Do you think the setup 1.3 will help? I see no one mentioning mac mini nor AKiTiO PCIe box in this topic, so I'm not feeling confident. BTW, . The GTX 970 is recognized as connected to "Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port", while all the onboard root ports are series 7 pcie.

Edited by starouterspace

Good evening, 

Dare I ask the question, but there seems to not yet be a conclusive answer..using the method outlined in another topic ( install reFIND )  is it yet possible to run an egpu via an internal screen on a mbpr with gt750m windows 10? Before I try I just wanted to have one last trawl for experiences.

Many thanks, 

P3nzance

Edited by p3nzancef1ier

Hi to everybody.

I made my own eGPU using an external PSU. With the goalque script I got on all the system in OS X, but I'd like to use on Windows because I heard that the performance can improve.

I have a problem because my system on Windows 10 (Bootcamp installation) recognize the eGPU but it's unable to use (code 12). It attempts to connect to the external display but the Windows logo freezes and turns to the internal display using the dGPU (Geforce 650M). I realize that Windows don't recognize the Intel 4000 HD Graphics. My Mac specs are:

- 2012 MacbookPro Retina mid 2012

- 16 GB RAM.

- iGPU Intel 4000 HD Graphics.

- dGPU Geforce 650M.

Somebody could help me? @Dschijn @Kr4nG

The second issue is that using the DELL DA2 power source when I am using the eGPU on OS X during some minutes, it shut down and the system crashes. I suppose that it could be a electrical power up issue. What do you think?

Thanks to everybody in advance.

Danny.

Edited by DannyFK

Hey everyone, so today I unboxed my akitio thunderbolt 2 and installed it with my gtx 780 connected to a pcie riser along with my 650w psu. I installed windows 10 via bootcamp in uefi mode and I am now having some issues. (Also, I bought a connector that does the "paper clip" trick for the psu). Anyway, I installed everything hardware wise, plugged in the PSU, plugged in the power cord for the akitio 2 (my pcie riser card is not powered) and plugged in my thunderbolt 2 cable into the mbp. 

When I booted up into windows it recognized my gtx 780. I installed the latest drivers from nvidia successfully and rebooted my computer. As soon as it booted back up the gtx 780 is not listed in my device manager. (It shows up when I select to "show hidden devices" but tells me it is not connected). I am extremely new to all of this so I was hoping somebody could help me get this sorted out! 

Thank you!

What power cord did you connect to the AKiTiO?

Please do this boot order whenever you boot into Windows:

- turn on MB

- press and hold Alt Key

- wait for boot chime and boot selection menu

- wait for the WiFi search to finish

- turn on the eGPU

- wait 2-3sec

- boot into Windows

The setup/power cord attachment I have for the akitio is the standard DC adapter that came with my akitio thunderbolt 2 pcie box. I have that connected to the wall, then have the psu connected to the GPU using the adapter that does the "paperclip" trick. 

When you say turn on the eGPU how do you exactly do that? Forgive me if I am saying something stupid but I don't exactly see a power switch for the akitio? By turning on the eGPU do you mean plug in the thunderbolt cable to the MB? that seems to dictate whether or not it's getting "power"

Edited by eox

You shouldn't power the AKiTiO with it's stock PSU! Never ever if a GPU is in it.

Get one of the follwing two cables:

- 2xMolex to 1x6-Pin PCIe

or

- 8-Pin EPS ATX mainboard extension

Cut of the 6-Pin PCIe or the 8-Pin EPS male side and connect black/yellow to a barrel plug.

Make this your tonights bedtime story: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/6543-guide-making-a-molex-to-barrel-adapter/

Hey guys, I am new to this website and wanted a question answered.

I have a dell xps l502x and I am looking into this egpu solution and wanted to know if these parts are the right parts for the build:

eGPU adapter - http://www.ebay.com/itm/181943864835?rmvSB=true

GTX 960 - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Whisper-Graphics-02G-P4-2966-KR/dp/B00SC6HAS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455585361&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+960

500w power supply - http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455585434&sr=8-1&keywords=500w+psu

Once again I am sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question.

Can someone go through the preferences on Mac specifically on what should be set?  For instance i noticed that when i go into closed clam shell mode i notice that my egpu 970 is still powering my retina display even though the book is closed and its black. I see this proof by seeing the display tab showing me both displays even though i only use my external monitor. Also it seems that my  mouse still is able to go into my other display because their is no border. And of course this is in clam mode with egpu running. It doesn't happen with regular external monitor with egpu off. 

Also after my computer returns from sleep after a few hours it seems to be frozen. It seems that it is an intermittent problem but im not fully positive. Can someone verify the settings they have in power saving tab? Unless the egpu is not allowed to sleep at all. 

Thanks

Hello,

Currently I am using Windows 10 with Akitio + GTX 750 Ti on my MBP Late 2011. Sometimes when I play games on windows for around 1 hour+, the fps suddenly dropped down till 10-20fps. And then after a few minutes my windows hang and I have to force shut down. May I know what's the problem?

Am I pushing my GPU too long or something?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: is it normal to have 3 screens shown on my display properties?

m4MWRPv.png

1 : my internal screen

2 : ext monitor connected to eGPU

3 : I think my internal with eGPU, not so sure?

Should I disconnect the internals 1st and 3rd and just left only my external monitor open?

Thanks in again!

Edited by iddinmx

On 16.2.2016 at 2:22 PM, Kr4nG said:

Sweet thanks ill give it a shot. What about the sleep? Is my egpu and mac allowed to sleep? 

You can try ;)

I never tried…

In Windows you can Hibernate with the eGPU, though…

@iddinmx You are not sure what No3 is? Than disable it ;)

What was your PSU again? Are you overlocking the GPU oder undervolting sth (GPU or CPU)?

Edited by Dschijn

I'm using the Dell DA-2 220W. It works perfectly. Only powered through the barrel plug since my GPU doesn't have any power input needed.

I think I OC-ed my GPU before but only using the official software from ZOTAC website.

XFv05IO.png

I used the firestorm software and quick boost until 3D+, that's all. But recently I just reset to default setting so I am not so sure whether my current settings is the normal stable one. Can you check for me? Kinda new in GPU OC, but not going to need it later.

Thanks!

You can try ;)

I never tried…

In Windows you can Hibernate with the eGPU, though…

@iddinmx You are not sure what No3 is? Than disable it ;)

What was your PSU again? Are you overlocking the GPU oder undervolting sth (GPU or CPU)?

Okay, I FINALLY got my eGPU using Akitio thunderbolt 2 with my mbp on windows 8.1 to register the eGPU (running a gtx780) Now, how can I get my eGPU to run on my internal (MBP) screen? I keep reading about Nvidia Optimus and how you either need it or don't need it. I have an early MBP 2011 running Windows 8.1 with an iGPU - IntelHD 3000 and as listed above, my eGPU contains the evga gtx 780. Anyone know what I can do?

**Update** I got the internal screen to work. Now, if I power down my MBP and unhook my eGPU setup and come back to it later, I get the error code 43. The only work around for me right now is uninstalling the nvidia drivers, reboot, reinstall, reboot, and im good to go no matter how many times I reboot the computer. But, if I power down and unhook anything and rehook it up I have to go back through the driver uninstall/reinstall way again..

Edited by eox