DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

@JoshS0515: How did you connect the DA-2 to that setup? Are you powering the AKiTiO with the DA-2 as well? Did you apply the "trick" to make the DA-2 start?

You can try booting into OSX and look up if the AKiTiO is recognized by OSX.

@JoshS0515: How did you connect the DA-2 to that setup? Are you powering the AKiTiO with the DA-2 as well? Did you apply the "trick" to make the DA-2 start?

You can try booting into OSX and look up if the AKiTiO is recognized by OSX.

Firstly first for taking the time to help me.

I bought the ebay extension for the DA-2. I plugged the 8 plug into the Dell and then put the barrell plug in. I only attatched 1 6 hole plug into the graphics card and then plugged the lightning into the computer. The case isn't on it at all the frame is open with all the wires hanging out. I have only attempted to load in Windows 8.1.

So the card only needs 1x6-Pin right? It is the short (one fan) EVGA GTX 960?

Please test OSX (no need to install that driver) and test if the hardware manager lists the turned on AKiTiO.

Please test OSX (no need to install that driver) and test if the hardware manager lists the turned on AKiTiO.

Yes to the first question and I will attempt the second part now.

@keymore: If the card makes "noise" like this, it is the common coil whine / buzzing problem that many GTX 970 owners have. And that is to be considered normal, unfortunately.

well this is quite ugly.. do you think i can get better result with a zotac card?

well this is quite ugly.. do you think i can get better result with a zotac card?

Not really, that is the curse of the GTX 970 all my cards had that as well (5x GTX 970s). You can RMA your card until you get a good one, but that might take some time. Better to except it or switch to a 960/980.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my mac osx System Report it only shows the Intel Iris and then my two displays

Actually in the thunderbolt bus it shows the Akitio thunder

In my mac osx System Report it only shows the Intel Iris and then my two displays

No, please take a look at the Thudnerbolt devices. This is not about the GPU or displays, this is to see if the AKiTiO itself is found.

No, please take a look at the Thudnerbolt devices. This is not about the GPU or displays, this is to see if the AKiTiO itself is found.

It was. Thanks for the clarification. The Akitio Thunder is apparening in the Thunderbolt section.

Hey,

I've been having some issues getting my eGPU to work with my macbook pro. I've tried all the different boot order suggestions, and have tried both eGPU setup 1.20 and 1.30.

Specs:

2012 Macbook Pro

Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 GHz

16 GB RAM

Window 8.1 Pro

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box

Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 380

305W PSU

I have attached my diagnostic info taken from eGPU Setup 1.20. Any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

diag.zip

I don't know what your problem could be...

Best guess is that you maybe damaged your Windows installation somehow so you have all the problems now.

Please try to remove any Nvidia driver in Windows, reinstall the latest Bootcamp driver (all without the eGPU).

Shut down your system.

Boot it up with the sequence I explained and look in Windows is sth is in the device manager.

Best guess is that you maybe damaged your Windows installation somehow so you have all the problems now.

Please try to remove any Nvidia driver in Windows, reinstall the latest Bootcamp driver (all without the eGPU).

Shut down your system.

Boot it up with the sequence I explained and look in Windows is sth is in the device manager.

Well the fans don't spin when its on OSX either but I haven't attempted to download the driver for OSX so im not sure.

I will try all of what you say.

- - - Updated - - -

Shut down your system.

There is an AMD Catalyst Install Manager so do you think there might be a compatability issue with another graphics driver and the card itself?

If the fans don't spin... there must be sth wrong.

I think it had to do with the thunder. I just turned it on now. It spinned all the way until I logged in and then it cut off.... I can see the fan since there is no case so I can say for certainty thats whats happening.

- - - Updated - - -

If the fans don't spin... there must be sth wrong. AMD? You have the 2015 15"?

more interesting news...

It does the same on OSX starts spinning and I log in and it stops. There also is no EVGA GeForce 900 driver for OS :( I am starting to feel like I just wasted a ton of money.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if I have the cabeling wrong...

The fans start spinning like normal and then they stop. Its actually not even when I log in I waited in the log in screen and nothing happened on either operating system.

I am going to try switching which 6 hole power source it is connected too since I am only using one and the other is dangling off the side.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365770-gtx-960-fan-isnt-spinning/

I think I am okay on the fans but it not installing and being recongnized is still a big issue... I have an install disk but no drive for it. But OSX doesnt have an EVGA GeForce Driver and Windows says there is no graphics card to be found when I load the driver... What a mess I got myself into.

It does the same on OSX starts spinning and I log in and it stops. There also is no EVGA GeForce 900 driver for OS :( I am starting to feel like I just wasted a ton of money.

Please use goalques script....

Hey,

I've been having some issues getting my eGPU to work with my macbook pro. I've tried all the different boot order suggestions, and have tried both eGPU setup 1.20 and 1.30.

Specs:

2012 Macbook Pro

Intel Core i7-3720QM CPU @ 2.60 GHz

16 GB RAM

Window 8.1 Pro

Akitio Thunder2 PCIe Box

Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 380

305W PSU

I have attached my diagnostic info taken from eGPU Setup 1.20. Any help or suggestions anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Please follow the instructions for configuring Setup 1.20 correctly:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8006-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx750ti%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-bios-%5Bkarthik.html#post109488

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9312-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx960%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-bios-%5Berrin%5D.html#post126617

This is confirmed to work with an AMD card at

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8613-2012-15-macbook-pro-gt650m-hd7970%404gbps-tbec2-pe4l-2-1b-win10-%5Brhodesie%5D.html#post117475

RE: R9 390 benchmark results at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8585-2014-15-macbook-pro-2x-r9_280x%4016gbps-tb2-netstor-na211tb-win8-1-osx-%5Bgoalque%5D-3.html#post140609

Thats really impressive goalque! I thought hard about getting a 390 but with me being a tech dummy, and heavily relying on you guys on this forum, i figured it be best to not try to reinvent the weel. lol

On a side note i overclocked my zotac, i've been playing witcher 3 on these settings and its working great. gpu stays nice and cool running the open case. i had some issues with cpu temp getting up to around 90 degrees. I downloaded "macsfancontrol" and my gpu doesnt get over 70 now while playing witcher 3 now while running the fan at 4500 rpm.. Anyways heres the score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4258U,Apple Inc. Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC

13,634 graphics, computer is a 2013 13".

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats really impressive goalque! I thought hard about getting a 390 but with me being a tech dummy, and heavily relying on you guys on this forum, i figured it be best to not try to reinvent the weel. lol

On a side note i overclocked my zotac, i've been playing witcher 3 on these settings and its working great. gpu stays nice and cool running the open case. i had some issues with cpu temp getting up to around 90 degrees. I downloaded "macsfancontrol" and my gpu doesnt get over 70 now while playing witcher 3 now while running the fan at 4500 rpm.. Anyways heres the score

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i5-4258U,Apple Inc. Mac-189A3D4F975D5FFC

13,634 graphics, computer is a 2013 13".

@BigChief, would you mind creating a implementation guide with your Zotac GTX970? That was one card that was flagged as fitting the AKiTiO early on but the Galax/KFA2 was favored due to higher TDP settings and easier chassis fit.

Hi friends,

I am new to this forum and unexperienced with eGPUs, so I apologise in advance for any wierd/stupid questions I might ask.

Here is a list of what I'm running:

Computer: Macbook Pro Retina, from 2012

CPU: i7-3820QM @ 2.7-3.7 GHz

dGPU: Nvidia GT650M

RAM: 16 GB

Thunderbolt connection: 2xThunderbolt v.1

As eGPU I chose MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G together with AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box.

And now, the reason I made this thread: I installed my eGPU today and encountered some software issues(?), more specifically a code 12 error that seems to be rather usual.

My question is if this has anything to do with my TOLUD being >3.25 GB? I tried using the guides posted on this forum to check my TOLUD, but my Device Manager seems to differ a bit from yours. I would be grateful is someone could take a look on my pictures and tell me my TOLUD value.

post-37739-1449500060038_thumb.jpg

Secondly, if what I described above is the cause of my problem, can I fix it using the DSDT override that has been described on this forum?

I found the

made by Kizwan. Can I follow his procedure thoroughly to get it to work on my setup?

Thank you,

A confused Red Onion

post-37739-14495000599938_thumb.jpg

@BigChief, would you mind creating a implementation guide with your Zotac GTX970? That was one card that was flagged as fitting the AKiTiO early on but the Galax/KFA2 was favored due to higher TDP settings and easier chassis fit.

That wouldn't be a problem at all, it may not be as detailed as a lot of these guys, but i'm making a guide now. :very_drunk:

• Thumbs Up 1

Many of you are using Intel XTU to undervolt their notebooks. However on my Mac with an i7-3720qm there is no option to change the voltage in XTU. Am I doing something wrong or is that not possible on all CPUs?

Thanks!

Hello, I just built a eGPU system and was surprised to see images on my laptop screen.

I am using a late 2013 15" rMBP with Iris+750M, with a GTX 970 with Akitio thunder 2 adapter.

After manually install the driver on the "Microsoft basic display adapter" (only laptop screen works this time), I boot into Windows 10, both screen would light up. When I go into device manager, I can see both 750M and 970. But the 750M would fail and the system would switch 750M to using microsoft driver. When I use the laptop screen, I wouldn't be able to open the Nvidia control center, but I can on the external display.

From what I read on this forum, you won't be able to use the internal display on the 750M machine. When I run 3D mark, it does seem like I am using the eGPU. Can someone explains if it's normal to see the internal display works? Thank you!