DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Can you or someone make a video of how to make you macbookpro read the egpu it would be super usefull for me and probably because I am currently having one problem. error 12 cannot allocate resources requiring automated . :( And I don't know what to do ? PLS HELP

I'm happy to switch to 8.1 if it's easier... Anything I need to know reg install? What's the best way of going about it? I know nothing I'm afraid...

I'm not sure what about Win 8.1 would be better, but I trust Dschijn and Nando's advice. I didn't have any issues with Win7 and my eGPU on both my 2012 iMac or 2014 MBA. I have moved to Win8.1 since then (which was not as easy for me as Win7 was, but only because I had to go to Display Properties and enable the new monitors each time for a while).

That said, I simply installed Windows through Bootcamp and went about installing the latest Nvidia drivers and then shutting down the machine, hooking up eGPU and powering it on, then booting to the Boot Manager and selecting my Windows partition and let that boot normally. I mostly use this on my iMac over the MBA, and for the most part it works nearly every time. I think another member recently posted that you should unhook the eGPU if Windows Updates have run and let it boot without it once to let the system do the updates (I do find that my eGPU will not work after updating).

Outside of that, I'm not sure if the process with a iGPU+dGPU machine is causing that many more issues. I had the Error 12 issue another user reported above, but my issues seemed to be more about timing of the boot sequence, which seems resolved now.

Anyway, sorry I don't have more info, but just have at it!! You can always re-install Windows again if you muck it up.

Haha. I also don't fully grasp the UEFI/Bios portion of this all. I mean, I understand what they are, but I just installed Windows through Bootcamp and did the driver update from Nvidia and rebooted. On the iMac I do have Windows running on an external SSD, and when I migrated it the disk stopped being called Windows and just started showing up named EFI in the boot manager.

I'm running a Zotac GTX970 in the Akitio with Dell DA-2. There seems to be some shenanigans with the rMBP with the 650M and 750M which I just don't quite understand not having a machine that uses the iGPU and dGPU. I assumed the iMac would be a huge issue since most on the forum are using Macbook Pros, but my two machines really didn't give me too much of a hassle. Though, I mucked up Windows on the MBA trying to enable optimus (broke the keyboard and trackpad drivers), so I might caution you away from that.

Did you try things under OS X yet? Goalque created a great script to do all the legwork for you. Seems like folks have been having great luck (though it wasn't hard to modify the files manually as I did).

Following this guide I am attempting to setup a eGPU.

I am following what sleepydragon added.

The main difference is that I installed everything on a brand new SSD and I have only installed

Windows 8.1 on it. No MacOS or EFI booting.

I am currently facing an issue where the Macbook doesnt detect the akitio at all.

Now there is a blue light for a second then only a green one.

The GPU fan and the akitio fan don't spin. The PSU fan does.

Anybody have any ideas??

Also this is less important but would be nice, Is it possible to set it up so that can use the i can use the internal cards when not hooked up?

EDIT:

When connecting the whole thing to my brothers Macbook running MacOS, the Akitio light up blue, but the graphics card doesnt spin.

I guess this means its a Windows problem, any suggestions?

EDIT:

Booted into Mac from my old hdd using a SATA to USB cable.

And I can get the same effect if i plugin in the thunderbolt cable partially.

But not if I connect it all the way in.

This also work with Windows, if I connect the cable and pull it out a bit it lights up.

But still undetected...

Lots of the metal on the Macbook gives small electric fizzes(!?) not jolt but slight odd sensation.

I figured something, apparently I was't connecting the GPU well.

But I can't get the GPU fan to spin normally and also I don't see any devices that could be the GPU.

Hello guys,

I tried remove code 12 error with this video with the exact same drivers etc..:

I used this video because I don't understand in forum pages how you have to do it(to much complicated(computer language that I don't know)

My computer specs:

Macbookpro mid 2012(running windows 8.1)

16gb ram

igpu Nvidia GeForce gtx 650m

Egpu Galax Gtx 970 oc

Photos:

Warning sign - Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

If you have any answer to this problem can you please explain me step by step how to do it. (if you can make a tutorial it would so much useful can I just follows the steps).

Thank you for

Ok I got everything I wanted working by installing with bootcamp, and even the electric fizzes stopped.

I still have to pull the thunderbolt cable out I bit in order for it work.

EDIT:

Actually I'm not really sure if the eGPU is functioning properly.

First off it isn't spinning even when I tried running a benchmark.

And the benchmark result doesn't really change when I disconnect it.

But it is recognized by my computer!

I guess this has something to do with the fact that I have to pull it out a bit in order for it to work.

Does anybody have a clue what that could be?

Maybe the port is broken or dirty?

But can ypu explain your setup procedure (step by step) because we both have the same graphics card. It would be useful.

You can send me a private messages. And by the way now I am getting a black screen xD. Gonna start all over again.

But can ypu explain your setup procedure (step by step) because we both have the same graphics card. It would be useful.

You can send me a private messages. And by the way now I am getting a black screen xD. Gonna start all over again.

First of all this isn't working for me yet I believe I have a problem with the thunderbolt connected in my MBP. But it has successfully detected the GPU so this should work for others.

Secondly I got a new SSD and haven't installed Mac on it. But I still have my old HDD which I connected with a USB 2 SATA cable.

1. Boot Mac and launch Bootcamp Assistant, create partition, and download the support software. I had some problems getting it to work with USB so I created a boot disc with an ISO of Windows 8.1.

2. Install Windows 8.1 normally, so when I booted with disc I didn't run into any trouble here.

3. Install Bootcamp Software, I also installed updated drivers for my internal GPU.

4. Turn off MacBook.

5. Connect AKITIO and power the PSU. Yellowish green lights should be on.

6. Boot Windows. Blue lights should be on. Note: Sometimes I got a black screen after boot chime. But the usually after that I get it to boot. Maybe try connecting an external display?

7. Install driver for graphics card and reboot.

8. Hopefully play The Witcher 3. :)

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with my setup. I'm running a gtx680 inside an akitio Thunder 2 without the powered riser. The laptop is a 2011 MacBook Air. I have a psu hooked up to the gtx680. Nvidia drivers installed correctly and everything works fine with external monitor. However, I would like to use the internal screen which I know is disabled. I tried installing Optimus using Evo's efi guide, but I still keep booting into grub2 command. Please help!!

Hello all,

I'm having trouble with my setup. I'm running a gtx680 inside an akitio Thunder 2 without the powered riser. The laptop is a 2011 MacBook Air. I have a psu hooked up to the gtx680. Nvidia drivers installed correctly and everything works fine with external monitor. However, I would like to use the internal screen which I know is disabled. I tried installing Optimus using Evo's efi guide, but I still keep booting into grub2 command. Please help!!

If you keep booting into Grub2 command then you haven't set the correct partition to boot of.

Read point 6 carefully there -> http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

I had to adjust the partition because I've got connected an external hdd at boot.

When selecting partition in OS X I copied the script provided by Evo. "System preferences >> Startup disk>>> ..." And it has a syntax error. Also I am running windows 7 pro. Could that be a factor as well? I also tried the set root= (hd0gpt1) in grub and nothing happens.

When selecting partition in OS X I copied the script provided by Evo. "System preferences >> Startup disk>>> ..." And it has a syntax error. Also I am running windows 7 pro. Could that be a factor as well? I also tried the set root= (hd0gpt1) in grub and nothing happens.

Dude, there is no script given by Evo*, so what are you talking about?. He's written the commands you need in his post and linked the needed OPTIMUS.dmg with the files you copy to your EFI partition. Windows 7 should be fine.

At "set root=(hd0gpt1)" there's a commata missing..."set root=(hd0,gpt1)". But, and that's the point, you're not supposed to copy that line. You need to find out which is the identifier of your EFI partition. That's what you remember and then edit in the grub.cfg on your EFI partition which you mount in OS X.

Have you got a MBR or GPT installation of Windows? Guess that's an important point.

I also had this issue as well. I assumed that maybe I needed to do it manually trough preferences (though the later info in the Optimus guide states that it will auto activate Optimus until you manually change it through Boot camp prefs or System Prefs in OS X). IN the end, I don't think my install went correctly as my internal keyboard and trackpad are non-functional.

Hello, I'm having an issue with getting my egpu setup properly detected. First of all, i have a Windows 8.1 partition that was set up by Bootcamp Assistant, I can get the egpu detected, but the Device Manager lists it as a Microsoft Basic display adapter and says "Code 31 This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers for this device. The driver trying to start is not the same as POSTed display adapter" Uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, used DDU to clean up Nvidia drivers completely. Installed latest drivers from Nvidia website with the same result. Nvidia website scan only picks up the onboard GT650M card and the egpu is still detected as a basic display adapter in the device manager.

My specs are 15" Mid-2012 Macbook Pro, Intel Hd4000 and Nvidia GT650M 512MB graphics, Akitio Thunder2, GALAX GTX970OC, Dell DA-2

I think maybe the problem is that I need to delete my partition, and do a BIOS or UEFI installation of Windows. Is that correct? Or maybe there is something else I'm missing?

My setup:

2011 17" MBP

Windows 8.1 normal bootcamp installation

Akitio + EVGA 960

Does anyone how to get the internal LCD to work when using a non EFI installation of Windows 8.1?

At the moment I can use the my egpu to an external display but when I don't connect a display to the eGPU the Macbook still it has the card, but it doesn't use it.

After some research this apparently has something to do with nVidia optimus and the fact that my intel iGPU isn't active in bootcamp.

Is this at all possible?

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-enabling-nvidia-egpu-screen-output-os-x-7.html#post137949

Firstly a big thank you for the script ! (very good job!)

Is what i could run my EGPU on my thunderbolt display?

For now, the thunderbolt display uses that the graphics card iris

And above all i do not have another external monitor, so your help would be welcome :joyous:

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/mac-os-x-discussion/10289-script-enabling-nvidia-egpu-screen-output-os-x-7.html#post137949

Firstly a big thank you for the script ! (very good job!)

Is what i could run my EGPU on my thunderbolt display?

For now, the thunderbolt display uses that the graphics card iris

And above all i do not have another external monitor, so your help would be welcome :joyous:

I have a theory. Could you borrow an external monitor? If yes, I'd like you to test the following setup:

1) Connect an external monitor to the eGPU and boot with eGPU.

2) Make the external display your primary monitor (within the OS X Monitor settings drag and drop the menu bar to the external display)

3) For me, OS X now says that all displays are driven through my eGPU and the benchmarks confirm this it seems (with a small drop on the internal display due to Optimus, as would be expected).

If this works out, one could conclude that the trick is to make OS X think that there is an external display connected. (I think this has been suggested before.)