DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Can anyone explain the limitation of TB1 vs PCIe x16 in a desktop? How much bandwidth will a game use realistically (GTA:V for example)? What are the performance hits I am gonna experience with a GTX970 on TB1 (via the Akitio T2)?

Hello, I have successfully set up my macbook air with EVGA gtx 750 ti under OS X 10.10.3. Under system report, graphic card, i can see the gtx 750 ti and the original intel graphic card 5000. My question is how do i make the gtx 750 ti as my primary display card? Does my macbook air automatically switch to gtx 750 ti if i play games?

Here is the picture:

post-32287-14495000379879_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

@shadfan130: In OSX you need to connect an external monitor to the eGPU. After that you would hasve to make take monitor your main display by dragging the menu bar into that display in the settings.

No way to play games in OSX without an external monitor!

@shadfan130: In OSX you need to connect an external monitor to the eGPU. After that you would hasve to make take monitor your main display by dragging the menu bar into that display in the settings.

No way to play games in OSX without an external monitor!

Dschijn, is there any equivalent software or hotkey method to do what's possible with the Ultramon method under Windows? DIY eGPU experiences | Page 52 | NotebookReview

The idea there is to use a DVI dummy plug on the back of the video card to register a second monitor. Then need some mechanism to drag that app from the non-physical LCD to the internal LCD.

Under Windows there is the Ultramon software that can mirror one LCD on another, giving *at least* a view of the app starting up on the non-physical window from which the drag across can happen.

There are VGA or DVI dummys for OSX as well, since they are requiered to have sth like smooth remote desktop performance on OSX server without an monitor attached. Guess with that and remote desktop or VNC you could drag the windowed app/game to the main display. Still it has to stay window mode, right?!

There are VGA or DVI dummys for OSX as well, since they are requiered to have sth like smooth remote desktop performance on OSX server without an monitor attached. Guess with that and remote desktop or VNC you could drag the windowed app/game to the main display. Still it has to stay window mode, right?!

Under Windows that can only be done for Windowed apps. Full screen apps cannot be dragged across, only Windows apps can. There are some DX9 utilities that can modify a full-screen app to run in Windowed mode. No good for DX10 or newer though.

I am not sure how OSX apps run. If they are windowed then could be dragged in the same way from the external LCD to the internal one. If ran full screen then same issue as under Windows.

@Dschijn: I can play GRID 2 without an external monitor. Start the game on the external screen, disconnect the monitor cable and the game will be accelerated on your internal retina screen by the eGPU, either windowed or fullscreen. I can see that from my energy meter. The same method causes a game crash with the Tomb Rider. I am not sure how dGPU Macs behave.

@goalque

I think you might have found some gold here. I just tried the following and still don't really know what to make of it but I have the largest smile stuck on my face:

-Begin to Mirror displays > set optimise for the external display

-Launch the game (fullscreen mode)

Turns out I have the External GPU piping back onto the internal screen !!! This is confirmed by three things:

970 recognised in the game (elite dangerous)

Stats showing the 970 loaded; 650 is inactive

Macbook is cold; absolutely no fan AT ALL, never seen that; better than regular gaming on external monitor.

Only thing is the fps count is dramatically decreased (from 45 to 20) BUT IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE IT. In fact there is no lag whatsoever and I would even say it feels better so I thing there is a bug in the FPS count.. Cannot triple check for now; I would have to play a lot more.

Also some graphical bugs seem to have disappeared...

If that method works with dummy plug then this is gaming EGPU perf on the go !

Better than optimus or me=disillusioned ?

• Thumbs Up 1

@Dschijn: I can play GRID 2 without an external monitor. Start the game on the external screen, disconnect the monitor cable and the game will be accelerated on your internal retina screen by the eGPU, either windowed or fullscreen. I can see that from my energy meter. The same method causes a game crash with the Tomb Rider. I am not sure how dGPU Macs behave.

Is this in Windows or OS X? I have a 2012 iMac so I can test the dGPU scenario (just didn't see GRID 2 in my OS X Steam library, so wanted to confirm which OS).

Is this in Windows or OS X? I have a 2012 iMac so I can test the dGPU scenario (just didn't see GRID 2 in my OS X Steam library, so wanted to confirm which OS).

2014 15” rMBP Iris Pro on OS X 10.10.3 and I launched the game from Steam.

2014 15” rMBP Iris Pro on OS X 10.10.3 and I launched the game from Steam.

Thanks. I was thinking Dirt 2, not GRID 2, so my bad. I tried Tomb Raider and realMYST in OS X, but when unplugging the HDMI cable from the eGPU, I just have the games running on a ghost monitor (I presume). MYST did show me the icon on the iMac, but the screen was black. Tomb Raider crashed as you mentioned (that game is a little different since you get to select which monitor to use, versus it being forced to your main monitor).

I will test out some other games. As a side note: BATMAN!!!! Downloading now from Steam. Can't wait to play tomorrow!!

Hello Dschijn, I order and build everything installed nvidia drivers but I have still a problem in my specs Under the graphics area it is saying the gtx 970 with a little warning sign, saying that to use it I need to disable another component. What do I do?

Yeah here is some photos of my setup the problem is that there is a warning sign wich is telling if you want to use you graphics card (gtx 970) you have to disable other peripheral to make it work(code 12). I install nvidia drivers but not the Optimus internal LCD ( you said that it can work without it). What do I do?

Warning sign - Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Hi all,

Very new to this and anything tech, hopefully I'm not posting in the wrong place, feel free to nuke if so...

So... After reading all I can and hassling people extensively on reddit I have got close to what I think is an egpu I can get my head round and build. Bear in mind I didn't even know what a riser was before reading up on builds. Or a barrel plug. PCI I had heard of before...

So so my parts list is:

single fan 750ti card

Akitio enclosure

120w PSU with correct plug.

Im pretty confident they all just go together and work fine... So on to software...

I installed 64 bit windows 7 a while back on my rmbp 2012 (650m) and have read something about needing EFI mode which is only from 2013 onwards. I am aware I am sounding like an idiot here. I've also read about some software by a user here that you can buy which might help? Basically I'm lost at this stage, reading all the guides only helps a certain amount as I have no real clue what I need to be checking/what instal I have so I hope someone much wiser than myself can point me in the right direction.

Im aware I am clueless, but believe nothing's impossible with a bit of research and a friendly hand...

I hope this post is ok. Apologies if not.

@DatScream: Please try to get help from other builds with a simliar setup. Maybe you need to disable the internal Nvidia GPU?!

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/9935-2012-15-mbp-gt650m-gtx970%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-%5Bcomputersaysno%5D.html

If you want to get eGPU performance on the internal display take a look at this:

http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8717-%5Bguide%5D-enabling-intel-iris-pro-hd5200-win8-1-15-macbook-pro-gt750m.html

Can you make better pictures of the DA-2 plug?

Dschijn you are the only one that is comprehensible . How do you install install diy setup 1.20? I am so close of making it work because I only have code 12 that is saying not enough resources to work. I made research and to remove this you need diy setput 1.20. And I have really no idea how this work because I am so bad in this type of stuff.

Dschijn you are the only one that is comprehensible . How do you install install diy setup 1.20? I am so close of making it work because I only have code 12 that is saying not enough resources to work. I made research and to remove this you need diy setput 1.20. And I have really no idea how this work because I am so bad in this type of stuff.

Instructions on how to obtain Setup 1.20 are at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/2123-diy-egpu-setup-1-30-a.html

• Thumbs Up 1