DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

Hey there.

I currently have a MBP 9,2 (Mid-2012 13-inch with 2.9 GhZ i7). I'm in the process of making a full desktop build but I'll get my processor only sometime in June. I was wondering whether it would make sense for me to have a eGPU setup in the meantime. The card I will be attempting this with is a full size Gigabyte Windforce R9 290.

I looked around on the forum, but there is a lot of outdated information which means that I can't accurately judge what will work for me and what won't.

Since my card is full length, it won't fit in the AKiTiO Thunder2 box.

I was hoping I'd be able to use it with a PE4H and a Sonnet Echo ExpresscardPro.

My questions about this are:

• Will this even work?
  • The Sonnet Echo only has a 5Gb/s transfer speed. Is that a problem?
  • Will there be a problem since I'm using an AMD card?
  • Will I need to fuck around with the ROM on my computer, or will I have to go to extreme lengths to get it to work software wise?
  • How are AKiTiO and BPlus in regards to shipping, specifically to Europe? It's not worth it to me if I have to wait till June.

Thanks in advance.

Hey there.

I currently have a MBP 9,2 (Mid-2012 13-inch with 2.9 GhZ i7). I'm in the process of making a full desktop build but I'll get my processor only sometime in June. I was wondering whether it would make sense for me to have a eGPU setup in the meantime. The card I will be attempting this with is a full size Gigabyte Windforce R9 290.

I looked around on the forum, but there is a lot of outdated information which means that I can't accurately judge what will work for me and what won't.

Since my card is full length, it won't fit in the AKiTiO Thunder2 box.

I was hoping I'd be able to use it with a PE4H and a Sonnet Echo ExpresscardPro.

My questions about this are:

• Will this even work?
  • The Sonnet Echo only has a 5Gb/s transfer speed. Is that a problem?
  • Will there be a problem since I'm using an AMD card?
  • Will I need to fuck around with the ROM on my computer, or will I have to go to extreme lengths to get it to work software wise?
  • How are AKiTiO and BPlus in regards to shipping, specifically to Europe? It's not worth it to me if I have to wait till June.

Thanks in advance.

Avoid 4Gbps expresscard solutions on your 10Gbps-TB1 capable system. Please review:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-113.html#post128029 and http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/9638-us%24340-highpoint-rocketstor-6361a-pcie-chassis-16gbps-tb2.html for suitable size chassis

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-120.html#post129670 to meet slot power requirements

http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt for example existing AMD implementations

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys, I'm going to buy EXP GDC Beast or PE4C, which one i should buy i'm not decided yet. But I have a more important question than choosing. I see both of set-ups using HDMI to any PCI port. I'm using a MBP(i7 4850HQ, GT750m) so I have to use thunderbolt. I think that can I use a direct HDMI-to-Thunderbolt converter instead of ExpressCard-to-Thunderbolt converter? Because If I have to use ExpressCard-to-Thunderbolt, I have to convert it with a Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro(which is an expensive way to use thunderbolt.) I think there is no difference two ways to use Thunderbolt. I really need help about this, because Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro is too pricey($170)

Hi guys, I'm going to buy EXP GDC Beast or PE4C, which one i should buy i'm not decided yet. But I have a more important question than choosing. I see both of set-ups using HDMI to any PCI port. I'm using a MBP so I have to use thunderbolt. I think that can I use a direct HDMI-to-Thunderbolt converter instead of ExpressCard-to-Thunderbolt converter? Because If I have to use ExpressCard-to-Thunderbolt, I have to convert it with a Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro(which is an expensive way to use thunderbolt.) I think there is no difference two ways to use Thunderbolt. I really need help about this, because Sonnet Echo ExpressCard Pro is too pricey($170)

Avoid 4Gbps expresscard solutions (PE4C/EXP GDC + Sonnet EE) on your notebook that has a 10Gbps-TB1 or 16Gbps-TB2 port. Instead use a native Thunderbolt enclosure for better performance, less complexity and lower price. See http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html . Carefully read the links near the bottom of that post on how to get 75W slot power and how to extend the chassis for cards longer than the 8" that do not fit into the factory-delivered chassis.

Lots of examples of the AKiTiO Thunder2 in action at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt

Avoid 4Gbps expresscard solutions (PE4C/EXP GDC + Sonnet EE) on your notebook that has a 10Gbps-TB1 or 16Gbps-TB2 port. Instead use a native Thunderbolt enclosure for better performance, less complexity and lower price. See http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html . Carefully read the links near the bottom of that post on how to get 75W slot power and how to extend the chassis for cards longer than the 8" that do not fit into the factory-delivered chassis.

Lots of examples of the AKiTiO Thunder2 in action at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt

First, thank you for your reply. So you're saying that using a direct Thunderbolt feeder(I mean AKiTiO Thunder2) is way more logical, way more powerful. Am I right?

First, thank you for your reply. So you're saying that using a direct Thunderbolt feeder(I mean AKiTiO Thunder2) is way more logical, way more powerful. Am I right?

Yes. Can see more detail on how the native 10Gbps-TB1/16Gbps-TB2 beats 4Gbps-EC2 in these threads:

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8007-bizon-ru-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-villagetronic-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-unit.html

Yes. TB2 can offer PCIe 2.0 x4 performance on a AKiTiO or any other direct PCIe->TB2 case. PE4C will be limited to sth like PCIe 2.0 x1. More and more games require high bandwidth!

You can get an idea in this report: GeForce GTX 980 PCI-Express Scaling | techPowerUp

Yes. TB2 can offer PCIe 2.0 x4 performance on a AKiTiO or any other direct PCIe->TB2 case. PE4C will be limited to sth like PCIe 2.0 x1. More and more games require high bandwidth!

You can get an idea in this report: GeForce GTX 980 PCI-Express Scaling | techPowerUp

Thank you. I'm multiTYRT from youtube :joyous: I had some questions but I read your guide, it's so useful. Thank you again for a guide like that.

Thanks again, it looks like there is a huge difference between mPCI-e and TB.

I have read through Most of this thread but there is Soooooo.. much information that I decided I might as well just ask specifically if anyone has tried or has knowledge of if what I want to do will work.

I have a Mid 2012 Mack Book Pro (non retina) that I would like to use the Akitio to power a higher end graphics card (not sure which one) to run a three monitor setup.

From what I read this might very well be possible on the Mac side but here comes the possible issue from my reading.

I would like to do this Running Boot Camp with Windows 7 Pro.

I think this might be where the issue could be due to limited Windows 7 support of Thunderbolt ports.

Please if anyone has any information as to Yes, No, Maybe and what would be required to do so. let me know.

Thank you

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7879-2013-13-macbook-pro-gtx970%4016gbps-tb2-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-osx10-10-%5Bdschijn.html

On Akitio Thunder2 site, it says the product is not compatible with bootcamp, and cannot used with GPUs. Did you had any problems with bootcamp or using your gpu?

@TYRTlive: That are just the official specs. We think that they have to write that, because of restrictions from Intel regarding eGPUs. Additionally the PSU way to weak to run anything faster than a GTX 750Ti and it's just noct official supported / guaranteed to work.

Bootcamp incompability is because Apple isn't supporting all TB features in Windows, like sleep/standby.

But there are multiple people that made it work and even AKiTiO is having an eye on the eGPU community.

Of course there are people having problems and can not manage to make it work, but that is always difficult to troubleshoot.

By connecting and setting up everything correct you already eliminate a bunch of possible mistakes.

So, read and try to understand how to connect everything and where possible threats to your hardware are.

RE: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/7685-2013-11-macbook-air-titan%4010gbps-tb1-sonnet-ee-iii-d-osx10-9-4-%5B-kryzaach%5D.html

How much of the GPU power is "wasted" due to it being attached externally via TB1 vs being native in a PC? I'm asking because I have a 13' MBA and have looked briefly in the past at some solutions but I found that the whole power thing prevented top cards from being used. Would you be able to post some benchmarks or fps numbers?

Hello everyone! I've got a late 2013 rMBP that I am wanting to setup with an external video card.

I am planning on making my own case for everything and then reusing my old 750W power supply. I've got the Akitio Thunder 2 box in my amazon shopping cart and I've already ordered a powered riser. Right now I'm working on exactly which video card I'm going to go with.

The priority is to use windows 8 for the egpu setup connected to my Dell P2415Q. If I can get it to work in OSX that would be super, but not necessary. I want to build this just so I can catch up on some games that I've missed out on in the last few years.

Right now I'm leaning towards a GTX970 of some sort, only problem, there are about 100 different choices. What do you guys think? Right now I'm considering this one, but am open to any suggestions.

Amazon.com: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Cards: Computers & Accessories

Thanks for any insight. Just searching around has been amazingly helpful. I just want to make sure that there aren't any strange compatibility issues with the various 970 cards, or does it even matter which one I go with? Any of them will be 10 times more powerful than the 750m.

Hello everyone! I've got a late 2013 rMBP that I am wanting to setup with an external video card.

I am planning on making my own case for everything and then reusing my old 750W power supply. I've got the Akitio Thunder 2 box in my amazon shopping cart and I've already ordered a powered riser. Right now I'm working on exactly which video card I'm going to go with.

The priority is to use windows 8 for the egpu setup connected to my Dell P2415Q. If I can get it to work in OSX that would be super, but not necessary. I want to build this just so I can catch up on some games that I've missed out on in the last few years.

Right now I'm leaning towards a GTX970 of some sort, only problem, there are about 100 different choices. What do you guys think? Right now I'm considering this one, but am open to any suggestions.

Amazon.com: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G Graphics Cards: Computers & Accessories

Thanks for any insight. Just searching around has been amazingly helpful. I just want to make sure that there aren't any strange compatibility issues with the various 970 cards, or does it even matter which one I go with? Any of them will be 10 times more powerful than the 750m.

I've just posted info to NOT use a PCIe riser here as doing so degrades the Gen2 PCIe signal. Instead install the video card directly into the opened AKiTiO chassis and create a barrel-to-molex adapter to power it. Details of how to do that are in that link.

The three best high performance GTX970 cards to get to fit into a opened AKiTiO chassis are below. All have a VBIOS power target max of at least 220W.

* 10.59" MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G (110%/220W)

* 10.5" EVGA GTX970 SSC (110%/222W or 115%/232W with dual-bios)

* 10.5" EVGA GTX970 FTW+ (110%/222W or 115%/232W with dual-bios)

I don't include the Gigabyte GTX970 Gaming G1 since it's just too long at 12.3" long. It is however the best overclocked performing GTX970 out there.

The EVGA cards are shorter than the MSI so allow the AKiTiO top cover to fit mostly over the card, which can be useful to provide protection if transporting the AKiTiO to say lan parties. The MSI card is too tall to allow the outer cover to fit over it.

From the EVGA cards, the FTW+ comes with a backplate and slightly higher clocks than the SSC, costing anywhere from $40-$50 more. When you consider the opened AKiTiO's back metal plate provides protection it's then not really worth it.

Here's what my MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G looks like in an opened AKiTiO chassis: 11mm shorter SWEX - Album on Imgur

Hi, I have a Late 2013 rMBP 15" with a 750m. Is it still impossible to use the internal screen with an eGPU due to the built in dedicated GPU? That was the case the last time I checked but I couldn't find a definitive answer if anything changed.

I am considering switching to a newer Broadwell 13" rMBP, that would allow me to use the eGPU with the internal screen, right?

Hi, I have a Late 2013 rMBP 15" with a 750m. Is it still impossible to use the internal screen with an eGPU due to the built in dedicated GPU? That was the case the last time I checked but I couldn't find a definitive answer if anything changed.

I am considering switching to a newer Broadwell 13" rMBP, that would allow me to use the eGPU with the internal screen, right?

Please confirm you can get the iGPU enabled using the process at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8717-%5Bguide%5D-enabling-intel-iris-pro-hd5200-win8-1-15-macbook-pro-gt750m.html . A working iGPU being a requirement for Optimus internal LCD mode to be able to engage.

Yes, 13" MBP can have Optimus accelerated internal LCD since it only have an iGPU. Some users needing to following the following instructions to get 100% success with it: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

• Thumbs Up 1

Please confirm you can get the iGPU enabled using the process at http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8717-%5Bguide%5D-enabling-intel-iris-pro-hd5200-win8-1-15-macbook-pro-gt750m.html . A working iGPU being a requirement for Optimus internal LCD mode to be able to engage.

Yes, 13" MBP can have Optimus accelerated internal LCD since it only have an iGPU. Some users needing to following the following instructions to get 100% success with it: http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides-apple/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

Hi Tech Inferno Fan, thank you for being so helpful - I just checked my previous posting on this topic in 2013 and it was also you who responded. :)

Interesting to see that there's still progress being made regarding the Iris Pro under Windows. From the looks of this thread it is clearly possible to to run Windows 8.1 with the Iris Pro despite having a GT750M machine but the way this was achieved is too complicated for me. I’m positive I could get it to run but the rMBP is my "production" machine and I'd rather not format the entire SSD a few times to make it work.

I might just buy the new 13" or wait for a Skylake 15" model in late summer, this time opting for the iGPU-only model for easier eGPU usage, assuming Apple hasn't locked down the eGPU functionality entirely by then...

• Thumbs Up 1

Nando4, a question for the master.

I have had great luck with every Mac I have tried in both OS X and Windows WITH ONE EXCEPTION !

While I can enable screen out and CUDA function on Nvidia eGPUs in OS X on the nMP, I have completely, 100% failed to get any function in Windows. This is especially strange as for most Macs the opposite is true, that it is easier to get Windows working than OS X. I have not done any work with AMD cards, only Nvidia.

I am curious if I should try your 2.0 program but want to provide details and see what you think.

Quick rundown:

1. OS X with EFI eGPU, boot screens, goes into OS X with whatever display showed boot screens running perfectly. No additional displays show up if connected after boot. CUDA works perfectly.

2. OS X with non-EFI eGPU, no output on screen from eGPU at any point, but CUDA works great.

OS X use is with the 3 kext hacks described in numerous guides.

WINDOWS:

1. Using an EFI eGPU I will get boot screens but have never once gotten into Windows with acceleration. Sometimes I will land in Windows but only lower 1/3 of display gets drawn. Very laggy, obvious that no driver loaded. If I use the built in HDMI on nMP I will see the eGPU but it will almost always have a CODE 12 error. This is very odd as I thought that newer EFI installs of Windows on Macs didn't have this issue. I was also under the impression that having less than 4 GB of RAM could fix this, so I booted nMP with just 2GB of RAM, just made it slower but still Error 12.

2. Using non-EFI eGPU connected after boot chime gets basically same results. Sometimes the Error 12 appears in "PCI to PCI bridge" and the eGPU isn't in the Display Adapters section of Device Manager at all. Occasionally I will instead get an Error 31 stating that there are no drivers loaded. If I install drivers and reboot I will then get Error 12.

In short, anytime I get close I get an error 12. I have removed and uninstalled the Dual D300 drivers and this did not help. I imagine that the EFI at boot maps out RAM space for the D300s even if no driver is loaded in Windows. I have wiped the drive and re-installed Windows 8.1 Pro and all of the drivers again from scratch, same exact behavior.

Overall, I have considered the nMP to be most like the 2014 Mini in terms of how it behaves with eGPU in OS X so I have tried to do the same things I do with Mini. I simply move the TB cable from Mini and try same things with nMP and I always end up with Error 12.I do have one other thought about this. I have tried to get Mini to use 2 @ Titan-X or 2 @ GTX680 and the second eGPU will always end up with an Error 12. I don't believe that I have ever gotten 2 eGPUs working with Mini though perhaps I just don't remember. But if this theory is right, the Mini can use 2 total GPUs and since the nMP already has 2, it never allows a third in Windows.

I would really like to get Windows eGPU working as I am sure the Quad 3.7 CPU would get much more use out of the Titan-X compared to the lowly Dual Core i5 1.4 in the Mini.

If you think that one of your apps is the answer say the word and I will buy it. I would be happy to end up doing a guide for Windows on nMP if we get an answer. If this should be on a separate or different thread, please move it.

1. Using an EFI eGPU I will get boot screens but have never once gotten into Windows with acceleration. Sometimes I will land in Windows but only lower 1/3 of display gets drawn. Very laggy, obvious that no driver loaded. If I use the built in HDMI on nMP I will see the eGPU but it will almost always have a CODE 12 error. This is very odd as I thought that newer EFI installs of Windows on Macs didn't have this issue. I was also under the impression that having less than 4 GB of RAM could fix this, so I booted nMP with just 2GB of RAM, just made it slower but still Error 12.

2. Using non-EFI eGPU connected after boot chime gets basically same results. Sometimes the Error 12 appears in "PCI to PCI bridge" and the eGPU isn't in the Display Adapters section of Device Manager at all. Occasionally I will instead get an Error 31 stating that there are no drivers loaded. If I install drivers and reboot I will then get Error 12.

In short, anytime I get close I get an error 12. I have removed and uninstalled the Dual D300 drivers and this did not help. I imagine that the EFI at boot maps out RAM space for the D300s even if no driver is loaded in Windows. I have wiped the drive and re-installed Windows 8.1 Pro and all of the drivers again from scratch, same exact behavior.

Overall, I have considered the nMP to be most like the 2014 Mini in terms of how it behaves with eGPU in OS X so I have tried to do the same things I do with Mini. I simply move the TB cable from Mini and try same things with nMP and I always end up with Error 12.I do have one other thought about this. I have tried to get Mini to use 2 @ Titan-X or 2 @ GTX680 and the second eGPU will always end up with an Error 12. I don't believe that I have ever gotten 2 eGPUs working with Mini though perhaps I just don't remember. But if this theory is right, the Mini can use 2 total GPUs and since the nMP already has 2, it never allows a third in Windows.

I would really like to get Windows eGPU working as I am sure the Quad 3.7 CPU would get much more use out of the Titan-X compared to the lowly Dual Core i5 1.4 in the Mini.

If you think that one of your apps is the answer say the word and I will buy it. I would be happy to end up doing a guide for Windows on nMP if we get an answer. If this should be on a separate or different thread, please move it.

Macbooks have had pretty much 100% success overcoming error 12 if the owner installed Win8.1 in UEFI mode. Which then begs the question, which mode (MBR/bootcamp or UEFI) have you installed Win8.1 in?

This picture shows what your Windows disk will appear as if installed in UEFI (GPT) mode. If your Windows disk has the partition style saying "Master Boot Record (MBR)" then you have a MBR/Bootcamp installation.

When I did a Hackintosh installation of Win8.1, the simple trick to deciding whether to do MBR or UEFI was to use the OSX Disk Utility to create a second partition to host partition for Win8.1 and set:

- format : FAT = Win8.1 subsequentally installs on this partition in MBR mode

- format : Mac OS Extended (Journaled) = Win8.1 subsequentally on this partition in UEFI mode

Then when you boot your Win8.1 USB stick via the Option key, ensure you select the USB stick shown with "EFI Boot" (UEFI installed) rather than "Windows" (MBR install)

If you already have Win8.1 installed in UEFI mode then email me at Tech Inferno [email protected] so we can discuss what to do next.

I have been looking around the site for a while now and have been looking at all of the eGPU implementations and have found that most are seemingly being used to speed up the main laptop monitor.

I have been trying to find information about creating basically an external 3 monitor setup using one of the newer Graphic cards.. My 2012 MBP of course doesn't have the ability to run three monitors GPU accelerated natively in windows and that of course causes me an issue as I really don't want to have a whole separate Windows Gaming unit when the MBP is plenty capable of processing well, intact it runs the particular game I have well at a high speed with the internal Accelerated Card.. Just that I would like Tri-Monitors for the game setup.

So basically I am looking at solutions that would allow me to use bootcamp to run Windows 7 with an externally driven monitor card that is capable of supplying a tri-display as either the Windows 7 main monitor OR allowing me to designate the internal LCD as a fourth monitor.

Im just not sure if any of the solutions that run the internal off of the eGPU will run an external display or in my case displays as additional monitors within Windows 7.. I really don't need this to work with OS X and don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 (though it would be nice to work with additional accelerated monitors in OS X).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Brion Sohn

I have been looking around the site for a while now and have been looking at all of the eGPU implementations and have found that most are seemingly being used to speed up the main laptop monitor.

I have been trying to find information about creating basically an external 3 monitor setup using one of the newer Graphic cards.. My 2012 MBP of course doesn't have the ability to run three monitors GPU accelerated natively in windows and that of course causes me an issue as I really don't want to have a whole separate Windows Gaming unit when the MBP is plenty capable of processing well, intact it runs the particular game I have well at a high speed with the internal Accelerated Card.. Just that I would like Tri-Monitors for the game setup.

So basically I am looking at solutions that would allow me to use bootcamp to run Windows 7 with an externally driven monitor card that is capable of supplying a tri-display as either the Windows 7 main monitor OR allowing me to designate the internal LCD as a fourth monitor.

Im just not sure if any of the solutions that run the internal off of the eGPU will run an external display or in my case displays as additional monitors within Windows 7.. I really don't need this to work with OS X and don't want to upgrade to Windows 8 (though it would be nice to work with additional accelerated monitors in OS X).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

thank you

Brion Sohn

GTX750 supports 3 external displays. GTX750Ti supports 4. Either fits straight into the AKiTiO Thunder2 chassis without mods. However, the supplied 60W AKITiO AC adapter would either be overdriven or running at it's peak with these. In which case consider purchasing an uprated PSU to drive them :

12V 12A AC DC Adaptor Power Supply Charger Plug for 3528 5050 LED Strip Lamp | eBay

AC Converter Adapter DC 12V 10A 120W Power Supply Charger DC 5 5mm FOR LED CCTV | eBay

Ensure you get a card *without* PCIe power connectors as otherwise you need a PSU to power that too, eg: ATX/SFX PSU or Dell DA-2.

If using an ATX PSU to power your AKiTiO then you can get a significantly more powerful GTX960 or GTX970 card, which also support 4 external displays with both available in ITX factor to fit directly into the AKiTiO chassis.

GTX750 supports 3 external displays. GTX750Ti supports 4. Either fits straight into the AKiTiO Thunder2 chassis without mods. However, the supplied 60W AKITiO AC adapter would either be overdriven or running at it's peak with these. In which case consider purchasing an uprated PSU to drive them :

12V 12A AC DC Adaptor Power Supply Charger Plug for 3528 5050 LED Strip Lamp | eBay

AC Converter Adapter DC 12V 10A 120W Power Supply Charger DC 5 5mm FOR LED CCTV | eBay

Ensure you get a card *without* PCIe power connectors as otherwise you need a PSU to power that too, eg: ATX/SFX PSU or Dell DA-2.

If using an ATX PSU to power your AKiTiO then you can get a significantly more powerful GTX960 or GTX970 card, which also support 4 external displays with both available in ITX factor to fit directly into the AKiTiO chassis.

In a set-up like this does Windows 7 recognize all the displays as it should (using the correct drivers for the card) or are there other BIOS,Memory, or Thunderbolt issues that I should look out for.. I have been looking at the AKITIO solutions as well as the PE4L and ViDock (PE4L and ViDock use the PCI Express Card solution) i do like the full thunderbolt solutions better but have read about issues with Windows 7 on Bootcamp and Thunderbolt issues, not sure if they are true or there are solutions.

There is just SOOO much information here it can get a little confusing.

Granted I am also looking at the overall cost to performance issues regarding a solution as well.

Thank you

In a set-up like this does Windows 7 recognize all the displays as it should (using the correct drivers for the card) or are there other BIOS,Memory, or Thunderbolt issues that I should look out for.. I have been looking at the AKITIO solutions as well as the PE4L and ViDock (PE4L and ViDock use the PCI Express Card solution) i do like the full thunderbolt solutions better but have read about issues with Windows 7 on Bootcamp and Thunderbolt issues, not sure if they are true or there are solutions.

There is just SOOO much information here it can get a little confusing.

Granted I am also looking at the overall cost to performance issues regarding a solution as well.

Thank you

Any expresscard solution (PE4L, ViDock, EXP GDC) requires a Sonnet Echo Expresscard adapter. Not only is that more complex than a native AKiTiO Thunder2, but it's more costly AND gives lower bandwidth and performance. Why would anybody pay more for less? I've elaborated more on this at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7939-rip-off-alert-thunderbolt-vidock-bizonbox-crippled-tb-ec-4gbps-units.html

Once you get your video card working without any error 12 then it's just configuring Win7 multiple displays like at Configuring Multiple Monitors - NVIDIA Surround (Single GPU) - CCL Computers . Win7 would be a MBR installation on your system. Please see previous MBR implementations of your system at to see what's involved in overcoming error 12 on it at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/6578-implementations-hub-tb-ec-mpcie.html#Thunderbolt