DIY eGPU Macbook experiences

oripash

If you hit F3 after a command you want, it will add it to your startup.bat. Then when you boot Setup 1.30 and let it run the default 'automated startup via startup.bat' it will run all your previous settings done via the menus.

You can see the vidinit is halting the system in that screenshot. I'd expect that to happen if in that instance that output was being sent to the external LCD. I've read on here that if people disconnnect the LCD fromt he eGPU then the apple firmware will boot using the internal LCD, as is required.

Thanks now I know I need to use F3 to save the command for startup.bat. This should be correct?

post-32604-14494999429112_thumb.jpg

Problem is now I get stuck at this:

post-32604-14494999428549_thumb.jpg

To clarify, my steps are:

1. eGPU connected to MBP, but external monitor not connected.

2. Initialize eGPU -> run compact all except sata etc.... -> startup.bat test run -> F3 to save? -> chainload into windows... all following the guide.

3. reboot MBP and plug in external display into eGPU this time.

4. choose from external display to run auto startup.bat.

5. Stuck.

What's the error here? I don't understand how this does not work.

Thanks-

Thanks now I know I need to use F3 to save the command for startup.bat. This should be correct?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14012[/ATTACH]

Problem is now I get stuck at this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14011[/ATTACH]

To clarify, my steps are:

1. eGPU connected to MBP, but external monitor not connected.

2. Initialize eGPU -> run compact all except sata etc.... -> startup.bat test run -> F3 to save? -> chainload into windows... all following the guide.

3. reboot MBP and plug in external display into eGPU this time.

4. choose from external display to run auto startup.bat.

5. Stuck.

What's the error here? I don't understand how this does not work.

Thanks-

Details are as per http://forum.techinferno.com/implementation-guides/8006-%5Bguide%5D-2012-15-macbook-pro-gtx750ti%4010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win8-1-bios.html#post109488 . When you work through the menus, proceed to do a Chainloader->Test run to confirm your PCI compaction works correctly. If it does, then it should work via the "automated startup via startup.bat", since they are doing the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi Guys,

first of all thank you so much for your hard work to let this eGPU happening :-D

I´ve to say that I´ve only theoretical experience with eGPU but planning my build now.

I would like to know where exactly is the differents between this 2 models regarding eGPU.

When I use GT 750 will it be possible to drive the internal LCD with an eGPU? Or do I´ve to hook up an external LCD? And if I hook up an LCD can I disable the internal LCD?

When I go with the Iris Pro will it be possible to hook up an LCD on the eGPU? And will I be able to play on the external LCD in fullscreen?

I´ve read allready nearly any WIP post on this forum but can´t came up with an solution.

Can you please clarify?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Verizon

OSX:

- External display connected to the eGPU is possible

- Internal display can be blacked out by reducing brightness to 0%

Windows:

- External display connected to the eGPU is possible

- Internal display with eGPU performance is only possible with the iGPU (Intel Iris)

- Internal display can be blacked out by reducing brightness to 0%

so if i go with the Iris pro i will be able to use the internal or an external screen

and if i go with the gt 750 i will always have to use an external screen

Is this the only difference?

sorry that i ask for so detailed answers but i dont want to Order the wrong machine as they cost more or less the same

Thank You very much for your answers

Best regards

Verizon

so if i go with the Iris pro i will be able to use the internal or an external screen

and if i go with the gt 750 i will always have to use an external screen

Is this the only difference?

sorry that i ask for so detailed answers but i dont want to Order the wrong machine as they cost more or less the same

Thank You very much for your answers

Best regards

Verizon

To have an accelerated internal LCD mode via NVidia Optimus or LucidLogix Virtu (AMD) requires (1) an active Intel iGPU in Windows and (2) any dGPU to be disabled. The GT750M model doesn't have a iGPU enabled by default but if you want to take a punt, can apply the workaround at http://forum.techinferno.com/diy-e-gpu-projects/8717-%5Bguide%5D-enabling-intel-iris-pro-hd5200-win8-1-15-macbook-pro-gt750m.html to attempt enabling the iGPU.

Easier solution is to just get the 15" Macbook Pro Iris Pro.

And if I only want to use an external lcd with games maximized on that screen will that be possible with the gt 750 model under windows?

Sorry but it's a really hard decision to make ...

Yes, GT750M model allows AMD or NVidia drivers to be loaded OK and can run an external LCD at full 16Gbps-TB2 bandwidth with say the AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure. You can even drag and drop a *windowed app* started on the eGPU to run on the internal LCD with some performance loss.

And if I only want to use an external lcd with games maximized on that screen will that be possible with the gt 750 model under windows?

Sorry but it's a really hard decision to make ...

That is the easiest way and will work for sure :D

External display directly connected to the eGPU in Windows 8.1

Hi Guys!

I'm still trying to find a eGPU solution to enhance the graphics power of my rMBP (Late 2013, 13", i5 2,4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB).

The Akitio Thunder2 is still the cheapest thunderbolt enclosure but it's problem is the power consumption limit of 25 Watts.

Since I want a compact solution without a external PSU, I have searched for a GPU with less than 25 W of TDP, an I found the GT 730.

My question now is, does anyone know, if the GT 730 2GB DDR5 would correctly work (CUDA, OpenCL, etc.) under OS X?

What would I need to do besides installing the Web Drivers, or is it even supported by the Nvidia web drivers?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regard,

salut

Hi Guys!

I'm still trying to find a eGPU solution to enhance the graphics power of my rMBP (Late 2013, 13", i5 2,4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB).

The Akitio Thunder2 is still the cheapest thunderbolt enclosure but it's problem is the power consumption limit of 25 Watts.

Since I want a compact solution without a external PSU, I have searched for a GPU with less than 25 W of TDP, an I found the GT 730.

My question now is, does anyone know, if the GT 730 2GB DDR5 would correctly work (CUDA, OpenCL, etc.) under OS X?

What would I need to do besides installing the Web Drivers, or is it even supported by the Nvidia web drivers?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regard,

salut

GT730, hardly worth the trouble. Use these links to increase your power to 120W. That gives you enough power to run a GTX750Ti or a reference GTX960 (120W).

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8848-%24299-owc-mercury-helios-16gbps-tb2-discussion.html#post121898

http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-95.html#post122901

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, my initial choice was the GTX 750 ti, but how would I make it work with the Akitio for example, since the 750 ti does not have a 6 pin power connector to my knowledge?

Because from what I understand, the Mod allows me to supply 25 W through the PCIe port and another 100 W through a 6 pin power connector.

I that correct or did I misunderstand something? So how would you power supply the GTX 750 ti?

Regards, salut

OK, my initial choice was the GTX 750 ti, but how would I make it work with the Akitio for example, since the 750 ti does not have a 6 pin power connector to my knowledge?

Because from what I understand, the Mod allows me to supply 25 W through the PCIe port and another 100 W through a 6 pin power connector.

I that correct or did I misunderstand something? So how would you power supply the GTX 750 ti?

Regards, salut

Apply mod + purchase 120W AC adapter as outlined at http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/8848-%24299-owc-mercury-helios-16gbps-tb2-discussion.html#post121898, or just by the OWC Mercury Helios. That gets you 25W (slot) + 85W PCIe, 10W used by TB board. Though we've seen plenty of examples where the slot can draw more without issue.

However, if want to be sure to supply 75W slot power per PCIe spec, without overriding the TB board ciruitry, then apply mod as per http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-95.html#post122901.

That gets you 25W (slot) + 85W PCIe, 10W used by TB board.

However, if want to be sure to supply 75W slot power per PCIe spec, without overriding the TB board ciruitry, then apply mod as per http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-95.html#post122901.

Sorry Tech Inferno Fan for my slow comprehension, but I what is the difference between the "slot" and "PCIe"?

Which of the two Mods for the Akitio is easyer and more certain to work?

Thank you in advance!

Hello everyone!

I have been reading here for several hours now and I decided that I wanted to try to use my rMBP for gaming using a eGPU. (Ofcourse, in bootcamp) However because it isn't stable for everyone I first want to see if it works for me without paying allot of money.

What is currently the cheapest way to connect a GPU to my rMBP? I don't care if the performance will be around 80% or so, also no case is needed. I can always buy something afterwards when it works.

So far the cheapest and best thing I found is the AKiTio Thunderbolt 2 -> http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

Anyone got a opinion about this? :)

So far the cheapest and best thing I found is the AKiTio Thunderbolt 2 -> http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2.html

Anyone got a opinion about this? :)

AKiTiO is cheapest, hence why it's hugely popular here. Stability issues have a solution - don't use a signal-degrading PCIe riser (use AKiTiO slot instead) and apply mod to pass 75W to the slot - http://forum.techinferno.com/enclosures-adapters/7205-us%24189-akitio-thunder2-pcie-box-16gbps-tb2-98.html#post122901

Hi!

I've just started to setup my eGPU with:

Akitio Thunder 2

GTX 960 mini Gigabyte

Coolermaster 650w (Paperclip)

So my problem is I can't install the Nvidia drivers. I've put the GPU into the PCI slot in the akitio box. Then I've connected the akitio Power supply. And then I've connected the 6-pin Cable into the GTX 960 from the Cooler Master.

I'm booting up my mac (Mid 2014 13'') and pressing alt. When the bootcamp selection start I turn on the coolermaster and the akitio PSU. After that I press boot windows (windows 8.1 preview). When I'm searching for the egpu i cannot find it in the device manager either in OSX.

When I trying to install the Nvidia drivers (the newest one) it says ''Nvidia Installer cannot continue'' ''The graphic driver could not find compatible Graphics hardware''.

The fans on the GPU started the first time I booted the computer (That was in OSX) and after that thay never started again.

The akitio box blue and green light is up. I've connected the akitio through thunderbolt (ofcourse).

I've put a HDMI Cable from the GTX 960 to my external Acer minitor and made it as the main screen in windows 8.

Could you guys help me out? Why dosent my computer detect the GPU? I've tried the troubleshooting steps in the forum but it doesnt work. Help.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->