Anyone notice that the intel wireless chips are really shoddy?

metatime

I have 2 lenovo and another laptop with an intel wireless/bluetooth setup. When blue tooth is on, wow watch out! Especially during gaming I rage because I die from the mouse not responding. Who's great idea thought it was smart to combo bluetooth and wireless when they use the same spectrum? The worse thing about these cheap intel wireless cards they don't even support 5Ghz.

I expected better from intel and reading through their forums, it seems like I'm not the only one. Anyone have issues with their wireless intel cards? I expect intel's quality, not cheap flacky connections like this.

I have to disagree. All of my intel Wifi cards I've ever had have been fantastic. The other manufacturers is where I run in to trouble. I now have a 510p, and the N series wifi I was getting ~100 mbps throughput, now with the new AC card I'm getting almost double that at 185mbps.

My lenovo y510p has 7260 N wireless card and it is not dual band. Would I be able to upgrade to AC and dual band version of the card without modding the bios?

No. The AC card is white listed and requires SVL7's bios mod in order to function.

Metatime,

A lot of things go into how bluetooth and 802.11 works together in the 2.4Ghz spectrum. I have an HP bluetooth mouse and a Dell bluetooth mouse from previous laptop buys and I can honestly say the HP one works consistently better. With that said bluetooth uses what is call frequency hopping it will bounce between frequency trying to avoid any active channels. If you live in an area with a lot of 802.11 2.4Ghz traffic this may not be possible to avoid a collision and might be the source of your mouse failures.

On another note intel makes great wireless cards. Manufactures and consumers, however choose to buy older cards since they are cheaper and issues like the one you are dealing with happen.

If you really want good wireless 802.11 USB is still an option though it may not solve your mouse dropping out. I ended up picking an Logitech M125 instead of using bluetooth and have found it being a great mouse even though it is wired.

There were issues with Intel's latest few batches of chips. I'm more concerned with the difficulty of attaching the EXACT same chip into the laptop (an updated version of the same model) not working, but putting an older chip works just fine. Lenovo has been having serious issues with their quality of product lately.

actually, it's NOT white-listed. Whitelisting means "allowing" the device. Blacklisted means banning. If the device is not specified in the whitelist, it won't work at all. If it's also specified in the blacklist, a whitelist mod won't affect the card's inability to function. Whitelisting a device just means adding it to allowed devices, but yes, you are very correct. It will not function without the update to the BIOS, and on some models, without also modding the VBIOS as well.

• 1 month later...