League of Legends

unreal25

I really miss creep deny from Dota though I'm not sure whether that'd make or break League tbh, the game dynamics are quite sufficient without I suppose.

Anyone else miss denying creep all day? :P

Denying creeps is fun and all, but eventually it gets to the point where that is pretty much all you are doing.

LoL takes away that element of the game which lets you focus more on last hitting and harassing the opponent.

I find this more fun as it leads to a more fast paced game play.

Also, LoL seems to be the forerunner of e-sports today.

• 2 weeks later...
LoL is the game you play when you don't want to try. That's what makes me reluctant for it to be at the head of esports

I don't quite agree wtith you on that one. True, there is no deny mechanic, which reduces the multi-tasking strain, but the other mechanics and skills such as last hitting, harrass and zoning are still very important. sure the level for entry is MUCH lower in LoL than DoTA 2, but I feel that at the highest level (eSPORTS level, which may or may not be the 'highest level') the skill required is still phenomenal. I don't think any of the team involved in the esports scene play LoL cause they don't want to try, and just because the game at lower level in normal matches fees more relaxed (some like to play drunk, when they feel lazy, tired etc) doesn't mean it translates to the higher levels. That, and success as an esport not only relies on balance and a competitive, skill based structure, but on appeal. a game can't really take off as an esport if nobody, or few people are willing to watch, which is why LoL is doing so well right now, as it currently has a great following.

I have been playing since the beta, and while I agree with you to a certain extent, for the most part, LoL is very competitive and being constantly balanced to make it an esports worthy game. I'm sure some other game will come out in the future to be at the head of esports, but for now it is LoL. (wow... that was ranty..... my English teacher would be proud... or horrified at my grammar.....)

As a 'moba' (i think it should be AoS since the lol/dota/hon genre was based originally from aeon of strife custom game) gamer my entire life, i can say with much confidence that both LoL and DotA require an immense amount of skill and *mechanics* and one does not require more mechanics than the other. Don't follow the fad that one game is easier or less mechanically demanding than the other.

*WARNING THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE OF BOTH GAMES JUST SKIM*

I have played DotA since Riki used to have Voljin's ulti and played somewhat competitively through inhouse leagues and CAL. I was also fortunate enough to get the Dota 2 beta very early to have played 1000+ hours on it. With that being said, I have also made the transition into League of Legends because some of my closer friends played the game religiously like I did DotA. I played through season 2 and dipped into ranked a bit but started to really play ranked games this season 3. I am currently in my promotion matches to get into the Platinum Division (basically, i've played enough to be better than most but i'm not very good by all means, and nowhere near as good as I used to be in DotA / DotA 2)

So why the resume of gaming experience? I just wanted you guys to know my background to reiterate my statement on both games-- each game requires just as much skill and *mechanics* as the other, one game not necessarily requiring more mechanics than the other. Why do I say this? Even though DotA provides more *mechanics* like denying, attack / spell animation cancelling, League also has its own elements like summoner spells than can be conceived as a *mechanic*

After 8+ years of playing this genre, I honestly just want to ask, who kept saying *mechanics* ? Back then, it was all about your skill and how you adapted. Nowadays people just say game A or player A is harder / better because they have more mechanics or are mechanically sound. No. DotA is not chess while League is checkers. League has more complex game data mechanics due to its ap / ad ratio scaling off of spells while DotA has different elements like fog of war emphasis and user interface.

TLDR; no game is superior or requires more skill than the other. League is not more casual (it just 'looks' easier but by no means is it easy to play) A pro League player will be just as good (if not better) as a pro Dota player making the switch, vice versa. Both games are different games but stem off the *MOBA* genre and that is the most important factor that people need to understand. I do agree DotA is more unforgiving than League is for newbies, but League is not the less skillful game.

AND DONT GET ME STARTED ON ESPORTS RANT OVER

This is like one of the best mobas out there. You can be playing this game for hours and hours without getting bored, except you will rage when your team is just terrible. Also, the good thing about mobas is that once you quit you can come back to it anytime and it will be fun again. It never really gets old because it has so much frequent updates.

I got 100k lifetime ip on the EU West account I played since last Fall (I also have an NA account).

Dota was the original game LoL is just an easier version from some of the same developers but i must say that League is more enjoyable than Dota itself

If by easier you mean, mechanically less involved then yeah. There are lots of things that dota2 has better but gameplay-wise my experience was that dota2 is garbage in comparison how fluid and responsive gameplay in LoL is.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol its a great game turns out to be one of mine and my friends favorite...

As we are getting older year by year and responsibilities goes on more and more, our free time getting less... its pvp is very relaxing and enjoyable...

its seems easy but its not, and the mechanics are working charm. Kogmaw its my pet:D, bio-split everywhere :D

the game sucks now because of the mentality of players they do respect any "mistake", i mean its a game, me and my friends at college stopped playing it..

That's a problem of every online game, at least in my experience.

But you're right, sometimes it's really frustrating to play with those "i'm fucking retarded and behave like a 12yo problem child but i know everything better and i'm totaly pro"-people (can't describe them otherwise), as they will kill all the fun, and most of the time make you lose the game too :(

But playing with friends is just great^^

That's a problem of every online game, at least in my experience.

But you're right, sometimes it's really frustrating to play with those "i'm fucking retarded and behave like a 12yo problem child but i know everything better and i'm totaly pro"-people (can't describe them otherwise), as they will kill all the fun, and most of the time make you lose the game too :(

But playing with friends is just great^^

Yeah some people take games to seriously and forget that at some point they were in the other side.

Other times they really are 12yo kids and on the Internet they are the "big shots" :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The community isn't THAT bad. You learn how to avoid bad players. Once you get up to the higher tier you eventually meet better well rounded players that don't RAGE at you for everything you do. (1st hand experience)

• 3 weeks later...
An edit to my last reply. I think the league community is quite toxic. Even in higher elo games people are way to cocky. If you look to dota2, they are a bit relaxer but I think its becuase people just started playing.

Mm, I don't know really. My experience with MOBA overall is that the community is extremely toxic, in a way that doesn't really show in other game genres. There are a couple of things in the MOBA-genre that works for a toxic environment. The foremost are probably:

Casual players vs elitist gamers

While the hardcore gamer puts an effort into fitting the correct role, buying the correct items, overall playing the correct way to win, the casual player might have other goals for their gaming session, like having fun. Or as penny arcade puts it: Penny Arcade - The One True Way

Time investment

A MOBA match can take up towards 40-60 minutes. If you get stuck with bad teammates in an FPS, you can always just leave. If you leave a MOBA game, the other 9 players have a reduced experience and you're, in most games, penalized.

These make for a pretty toxic-inducing environment which is built into the core game mechanics.

a lot of the toxic comes from players who never want to admit they are at fault. It happens in normals, ranked, even ARAM nowadays. Always "you guys messed up" despite the person causing the situation.

• 4 weeks later...
a lot of the toxic comes from players who never want to admit they are at fault. It happens in normals, ranked, even ARAM nowadays. Always "you guys messed up" despite the person causing the situation.

Especially if a Tank initiates and cries after his team when he dies.. and his team is nowhere close to him.

I've played WC3 DotA, HON, LoL, and Dota 2, the communities have generally been the same. Since MOBAs are team based games, players will tend to blame their teammates for losing. I tend to only play with friends just so I can avoid the hostility.

I've played WC3 DotA, HON, LoL, and Dota 2, the communities have generally been the same. Since MOBAs are team based games, players will tend to blame their teammates for losing. I tend to only play with friends just so I can avoid the hostility.

+1, happen in all games online, always will be flammers... In my case, i think de worst community is in HoN.