2013 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [Dschijn

And a SWEX to make the case fan work.

A SWEX for the case fan? I don't get it… I directly attached the the fan to the PSU. And the PSU is working as soon as I switch it on because I use sth like the paperclip trick.

A SWEX for the case fan? I don't get it… I directly attached the the fan to the PSU. And the PSU is working as soon as I switch it on because I use sth like the paperclip trick.

The power plug for the case ventilator doesn't fit in the PSU. But maybe I can find another solution for that.

Will update the main post after work. Try to avoid more confusion.

Problem was: I wasn't passioned enough to finish the post, because my GTX 970 wasn't a good card. Had 2 MSI cards and 2 EVGA cards so far (3rd card is on the way to me now, so I am without a card again). All of them had coil whine or coil buzzing issues. Even in my (old) main desktop PC rig.

Bottomline is: EVGA card and @Evo* guide are now working perefectly in Windows 8.1. Optimus. Most important it is working from a cold boot and a shut down/boot. Had trouble in OSX with the eGPU and not using it in OSX now (seems to be a mid 2014 MBPr problem?).

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the akitio thunder 2 and the gtx 970. It worked partly with my mac mini 2011 on os x 10.10.1. I used a powered pci riser and the power supply of the akitio (it wasn't working without the akitio psu). My psu for the gpu is a fortron 650 w.

I use this setup for video editing but not without problems. I kept geting kernel panic when rendering video causing my computer to reboot. And now it seems that the gpu has died. My computer rebooted and i smelled somthing burned in the eGPU. After that the gpu couldn't start.

What did i do wrong?

I have the akitio thunder 2 and the gtx 970. It worked partly with my mac mini 2011 on os x 10.10.1. I used a powered pci riser and the power supply of the akitio (it wasn't working without the akitio psu). My psu for the gpu is a fortron 650 w.

I use this setup for video editing but not without problems. I kept geting kernel panic when rendering video causing my computer to reboot. And now it seems that the gpu has died. My computer rebooted and i smelled somthing burned in the eGPU. After that the gpu couldn't start.

What did i do wrong?

Do not use the Akitio PSU together with a powered riser.

- - - Updated - - -

So, should I remove the akotio PSU? If I do so the akitio won't get any power.

Than there is something wrong because the powered riser should be enough to power both the Akitio and give +/- 75 Watt to the PCIe x16 slot.

This works great for my setup.

I'll order a new PCIe riser and try that paperclip trick. About the paperclip trick, I just need to bridge the two pins shown on the picture whith a paperclip and that's it, right? What do you need the ATX PSU adapter for?

I'll order a new PCIe riser and try that paperclip trick. About the paperclip trick, I just need to bridge the two pins shown on the picture whith a paperclip and that's it, right? What do you need the ATX PSU adapter for?

You need one of this three options to start your ATX (computer) PSU:

- paperclip trick

- PSU adapter (bridge), same purpose as the paperclip trick just inside a plug

- SWEX, same but with a switch to make it more comfortable

• 4 weeks later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2013 13" MBP + GTX970@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win8.1/OSX10.10 [Dschijn