Y410p will no longer boot

Lombax

So I recently tried to replace my Y410p 1366x768 screen with a 1600 x 900 model screen with the correct model number (EmberV mentioned it on Notebookreview forums and said it works but it didn't for me).

After replacing the screen back to the original one I got no picture on boot (not even external monitor worked!).

Disassembled laptop again and made sure everything was connected properly then I reassembled and somehow 2 of my screws got shorter and became extras! D:

After that it no longer booted. Keyboard leds came on fans attempted to spin and power button led came on then it all went off after 2-4 seconds.

Now I just disassembled it again to check for proper connections and make sure I did it right (still couldn't find where the screws went).

Currently it won't even give me any leds, no power keyboard or even the charging led. It just doesn't respond to the lovo button or power button. Please help!

My Y510P became like this when I disassembled it to repaste cpu.

You can try the method from this link since this work for me.

www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

I figured out where the smaller screws went (the keyboard) and putting all screws in the correct places and she's alive! But on the original screen only the backlight works and it no longer displays and image (must be the video connector, I know this because it get dimmers as I dim it with the fn key and down).

I'll probably order a new screen before disassembling the laptop again because it's a hassle and i'm just happy it works and I'm no longer stressed out about it.

So I'll sit back with my external monitor for the time being.

Thanks for the help though!

So I recently tried to replace my Y410p 1366x768 screen with a 1600 x 900 model screen
You probably have a 1-channel lvds cable (max. WXGA), you need 2-channel for 900p/WXGA+ (or even 1080p/1200p). Think yours looks like this one; LED Display Cable IdeaPad Y410p.

Look at the flat, lcd terminator side; it's missing a lot of pins on the left (better visibility on this model cable, the white connector). More accurately, it's missing 6-bit and 2 clock pins, so that's 8 wires in all (= 1ch), plus a few optional grounds:

post-15612-14494998425999_thumb.png

You might be able to hunt down a WXGA+ cable for the Y-series, which is a lot cheaper than another new screen (and the desired upgrade). If that one cannot be found, you could even splice in the 8 extra wires yourself (step 10). Though it's easier to buy the cheapest 30-pin 2-channel lvds cable available and strip the motherboard end; the mb connector is a lot bigger, making the individual wires easier to wiggle in.

• Thumbs Up 1

You probably have a 1-channel lvds cable (max. WXGA), you need 2-channel for 900p/WXGA+ (or even 1080p/1200p). Think yours looks like this one; LED Display Cable IdeaPad Y410p.

Look at the flat, lcd terminator side; it's missing a lot of pins on the left (better visibility on this model cable, the white connector). More accurately, it's missing 6-bit and 2 clock pins, so that's 8 wires in all (= 1ch), plus a few optional grounds:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]12699[/ATTACH]

You might be able to hunt down a WXGA+ cable for the Y-series, which is a lot cheaper than another new screen (and the desired upgrade). If that one cannot be found, you could even splice in the 8 extra wires yourself (step 10). Though it's easier to buy the cheapest 30-pin 2-channel lvds cable available and strip the motherboard end; the mb connector is a lot bigger, making the individual wires easier to wiggle in.

I'm completely lost. So if I get the dual channel lvds cable or add the pins myself the new screen works?

Also now i have a new issue. The original 768p screen was giving me a backlight and now I get NOTHING. I also reseated the lvds cable at both ends after reassembling the laptop twice.

1st time i reassembled i reseated the motherboard side and got the cable back into the plastic cable guides (don't know how they got out). then i got a the backlight when i booted up.

2nd time i reassembled the laptop I got the screen connecter and reseated that and looked at the cable path, no obstructions or areas where the cable is being squeezed. No picture or backlight when i booted.

I'm returning the 900p screen before I scratch it and the ebay seller refuses to take it back.

Currently i believe the motherboard connecter end of the lvds cable may have a bent pin or something. I honestly have no clue why this is happening at this point.

I think i will order a new lvds cable and be done with this whole shenanigan. Probably get a new 768p screen because the scratches from my flathead screw driver will drive me nuts.

Recommendations on what i should do? I was debating selling the laptop after repairing it and getting a y510p for the 1080p and sli but I don't want to lose my m.2 ssd and I got such a good deal on this y410p.

EDIT: would this cable work?

My Y510P became like this when I disassembled it to repaste cpu.

You can try the method from this link since this work for me.

www.masnick.com/2007/09/07/the-secret-thinkpad-powerbutton-code-to-bring-dead-laptops-back-to-life/

That's... pretty crazy, thanks for the tip. I have a Lenovo that doesn't power up for some odd reason so this might work.

So if I get the dual channel lvds cable or add the pins myself the new screen works?
Yes.
EDIT: would this cable work?
Close, that looks like it has a 40-pin terminator at the lcd end (and it's overpriced). This generic cable should fare better; 50cm 30pin 2ch 6 bit LVDS Cable. Because it doesn't come with a backlight power cable attached, you splice off that one from your existing cable set ... carefully :) .

Think you've broken/damaged the lcd cable on that first disassembly; though the cable is rather thick, the wires themselves are fragile and prone to snapping when flexing.

If you do get that new cable;

1. remove keyboard

2. unplug old lcd cable

3. open lid fully, so it's display-up

4. attach new cable to 900p

5. place 900p on top of the existing lcd/lid (on towel, of course)

6. plug new cable in mb

7. plug in keyboard cable

8. boot

Don't worry about screws, wil run fine without. And the backlight's optional too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes.

Close, that looks like it has a 40-pin terminator at the lcd end (and it's overpriced). This generic cable should fare better; 50cm 30pin 2ch 6 bit LVDS Cable. Because it doesn't come with a backlight power cable attached, you splice off that one from your existing cable set ... carefully :) .

Think you've broken/damaged the lcd cable on that first disassembly; though the cable is rather thick, the wires themselves are fragile and prone to snapping when flexing.

If you do get that new cable;

1. remove keyboard

2. unplug old lcd cable

3. open lid fully, so it's display-up

4. attach new cable to 900p

5. place 900p on top of the existing lcd/lid (on towel, of course)

6. plug new cable in mb

7. plug in keyboard cable

8. boot

Don't worry about screws, wil run fine without. And the backlight's optional too.

actually for some reason the laptop refuses to power on without the screws all done correctly. I accidentally took the screws form the keyboard and replaced them with the screws you start (the 8 long ones) and without all 8 longs screws the laptop wouldn't boot, Also can you find me a dual lvds cable that requires no splicing. that would be great!

the new screen is this (EmberV on notebook review said he got that exact model number to work on this laptop).

I will edit my post when i get off work and disassemble my laptop and tell you the 768p screen model number. thank you so much for your help and time! I also decided I'll try and splice in the extra cables or something.

attached a photo of what the tag says on the 768p monitor. sorry I'm late.

post-29748-14494998428734_thumb.jpg

So i ordered 2 extra lvds cables (with the webcam and backlight on them, replacement for the current cable that is not working).

Plan to steal one of some of the pins from the old broke cable to upgrade one of the 2 new cables to dual channel and if it does not work I'll just be happy with my 768p screen or maybe sell the laptop.

Yes, it is 1-ch. But not to worry, you an use that cable's backlight connectors and get this one (or similar) for the lcd. Just need to check whether the mb connector matches yours (think it does, 2x15pin is common), the required length and if both cables can be squeezed in between the hinge. May take a little chipping of the plastic though.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't, use the secondary connectors from the cable you already bought. That one has all (7?) wires, some of those power the backlight (similar as the cable in my link, but that one's not fully wired) and the remainder control the ccd. Webcam is not an integral part of an lcd, so all its wires are separate as well, they're just bundled together in one cable for convenience, that's why you could 'unwrap' them. Which you still might need to do if there's not enough physical room in the hinge.

Don't do any of that yet, just do basic testing first; simple procedure.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So after i ordered y410 cables for the laptop and decided to just use the single channel... it doesn't connect to the motherboard. I'm honestly ready to break the laptop over my knee and laugh.

All i really want is the screen and webcam to work. I need a factory new cable for this thing so I can sell it for 500 and buy something that doesn't suck.

Yes, according to NBC there are 3 varieties, but all are FHD, so that's good.

Both cable ends are 40-pins, the mb one is the simple 2x20 connector. You should be able to see whether it would interface with your y410p motherboard. One issue with that cable; there are 10 pins unconnected (no copper pins visible), which is not unusual, but a schematic of the y410p's lcd connector would be helpful: example of a 30-pin mb schematic (note; eDP type, not LVDS).

Thing is; you want to verify that those same pins are not in use on both the y410p and the y510p. Otherwise you're left with swapping the individual wires around, which is nitty-gritty business and quite impossible without schematics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes, according to NBC there are 3 varieties, but all are FHD, so that's good.

Both cable ends are 40-pins, the mb one is the simple 2x20 connector. You should be able to see whether it would interface with your y410p motherboard. One issue with that cable; there are 10 pins unconnected (no copper pins visible), which is not unusual, but a schematic of the y410p's lcd connector would be helpful: example of a 30-pin mb schematic (note; eDP type, not LVDS).

Thing is; you want to verify that those same pins are not in use on both the y410p and the y510p. Otherwise you're left with swapping the individual wires around, which is nitty-gritty business and quite impossible without schematics.

I feel like it should just be plug and play. Also is theres a thin webcam cable I could purchase? Accidentally cut my old one

Sure, there's lots of those. The same type/brand of ccd is used in wide range of laptops. Not sure if the y510p's camera would fit, but that $40 listing's too expensive anyway. Look at the type of connector at both ends and find a matching one (with sufficient length, of course). Cheapest go for $3,-, including the camera ... not a terribly expensive component, apparently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sure, there's lots of those. The same type/brand of ccd is used in wide range of laptops. Not sure if the y510p's camera would fit, but that $40 listing's too expensive anyway. Look at the type of connector at both ends and find a matching one (with sufficient length, of course). Cheapest go for $3,-, including the camera ... not a terribly expensive component, apparently.

I already ordered a y510p dual channel lvds cable for like 35$ (cheapest i could find it). It brings me great joy to see that I can just buy a new camera cable. Thank you so much for all your help so far! Hopefully my cable gets here so i can start using my laptop as a laptop and not a desktop!