16GB SO-DIMMs to upgrade P570WM to 64GB

twmemphis

16GB SO-DIMMs are available from Intelligent Memory since quite a while, but the memory-initialization-routine in the BIOS of Intel-CPU based systems is not prepared to handle this memory-size.

Intel is reluctant to change the code.

The Clevo P570WM uses an Intel X79 chipset.

ASUS was the first company to modify the memory-reference code (MRC) in the BIOS of their X79 platforms (ASUS X79 Deluxe, X79 Sabertooth, Rampage IV Black Edition, etc) to support 16GB modules. If ASUS was able to do it, then a similar BIOS-modification can also be done for the Clevo P570WM. The machines could then be upgraded to 64GB by using 4 SO-DIMMs. The upgrade will not be cheap (more than $300 per 16GB module).

I am working for a distributor of Intelligent Memory and am in contact with Prema on this issue. I heard that he is trying to make it happen.

If anybody would like to hear more technical details of the issue with the MRC, I am happy to explain.

Regards,

Thorsten

• Thumbs Up 6

Thats great news. I'm waiting since months for that update because in the future i will need 64GB of Memory in the P570WM.

I just recently thought about these Memory Modules and it would be nice if it will be even supported in the other Clevo Notebooks, so that other people can have at least 32GB of Memory even if there is 16GB the maximum.. And the Notebooks which can have 32GB RAM they could have 64GB too and that because the proof is here: Max Your Mem: 128GB DDR3 Support On ASUS & ROG X79 Motherboards

ASUS has changed the MRC in their BIOS just like Thorsten said and there is the i7 4960X CPU with X79 Chipset, which can have official 64GB RAM maximum but there you can have 128GB RAM.

So the other Notebooks which have the HM87 Chipset could have this Memory too and because ASUS has done it my feeling is strong that this will work too..

It wouldn't be cheap but i know there are some people outside which have the money and could buy this..

So thats it for now from me and Prema, please make this all possible! :)

Edit: I'm in contact with Thorsten and he said that one of his Customers who build Industry-Computers they have tested the 16GB Modules on a machine with Haswell-U CPU (for ex. i7-4650U) and it worked..

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd also like to voice my support for this. 64GB in the P570WM (or any portable/battery powered workstation for that matter) would greatly help the engineering students at the university that I work for. They have a number of CAD models that require at least 48GB to fully load the model into RAM without swapping to disk. They also often go on road trips for student competitions where it would be extremely useful to have such a workstation with them. If it's possible to make this happen, myself and the students would be extremely grateful!

• Thumbs Up 2

Purchased the P570WM late last year (12 core Xeon processor with 32GB RAM) with the hope of upgrading to 64GB RAM ASAP. We have since learned that this is not possible without the aforementioned BIOS-modification from Intel and are at a standstill. As a cancer biologist, our group is using the P570WM for NGS (next generation sequence) analysis and require >40GB RAM to run jobs. The 32GB is severely limiting and we would greatly favor the BIOS update from Intel. I would be happy to discuss further and or contact Intel directly if it would help. Thank you Thorsten for keeping this issue alive!

<section class="line tools spaceT5" style="margin: 5px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 10px 10px; font-size: 11px;">

</section>

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

I am working for a distributor and we get tons of requests from users who want to upgrade P570WM compatible systems. The P570WM uses the same X79 chipset and CPUs as the ASUS X79 Deluxe motherboard, for which ASUS has successfully done the modifications in the MRC (memory reference code) of the BIOS to support the IM 16GB modules.

We then got in touch with Prema. He is trying to make the required adaptions to the BIOS of the P570WM systems. As I understand his main difficulty is the difference in the number of sockets. The ASUS machines have 8 sockets while the Clevo has only 4. And this is a complex difference between the systems.

I suggested to Prema that I can send him some modules at any time to try his modifications step by step with 1, 2 and finally 4 modules until it works.

Regards,

Thorsten

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heya,

i got an Important Notice for all P570WM Owner's who want to have these 16GB Modules..

The SO-DIMM Modules are different between NON-ECC and ECC Modules, the Pinouts are different..

And this means that the Memorysockets are different too.

The P570WM has only NON-ECC Memorysockets build in it.

So if anybody think, just because he has an Xeon which will work with ECC inside that doesn't mean that the ECC Modules will work!

Please be careful when you buy the Modules someday when they will work..

If you want to know more about the SO-DIMM difference, here is a good link:

Embedded IA System with DDR3 ECC SO-DIMMs Design Considerations

There is no difference on other DIMM Modules between NON-ECC and ECC, both will work on their Memorysocket.

Cheers,

Andrzej.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...