2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX980@16Gbps-TB2 (Sonnet III-D) + Win8.1 [MrHaPPyPiLLs]

Strange… but the Sonnet III-D itself is turning on?

Can you see the Sonnet III-D in OSX system report? Somewhere in the Thunderbold section?

I had problems with my AKiTiO box too, because I couldn't make a successful first boot into Windows with the eGPU. So I booted without the eGPU in Windows (all updates installed) with latest bootcamp and Intel graphics driver. Once Windows booted I connected and powered on the AKiTiO and the eGPU. After that I was able to install the Nvidia driver.

Well, I tried to put the Dell (17') monitor through the thunderbolt-vga adapter and worked, so I was able to install the nVidia Graphics. I think that is because the ASUS (PB287Q) is 4K and the basic windows driver can't display to it. =)

Later I will install in the Mac OS X, but now the internal display is not working, even with the Optimus Drivers installed... anyone knows why? =(

Also the 4K monitor only runs at 4K (even through the DisplayPort). But in specifications it was supposed to run at 60Hz. Additional drivers needed?

Sorry, but it is very hard to follow what you are writing… it is very confusing.

Please try to seperate OSX and Windows!

Dell 17"? thunderbolt-vga adapter? Connected to the MacBook and not the eGPU?

Asus 4k?

In OSX: Can you see the Sonnet III-D in OSX system report? Somewhere in the Thunderbold section?

Well... sorry for making this confuse. Separating stuff:

---- Windows setup

I had major issues but now everything seems to be working (I played one round of Dota 2 at 4K 60Hz, 60fps, everything maxed).

I just needed to enable the DisplayPort 1.2 in ASUS monitor.

Only issue from now: Macbook internal monitor not working. (probably config in optimus)

Future tip for users: Don't do the first setup with an 4K monitor or a DVI-VGA adapter monitor, try a real DVI cable or displayport.

---- Mac OS X

The system detects the Sonnet but no nVidia Graphics found, only Iris Pro. I will still do all of the configs, but from now I need to go to work x)

--- Dschijn

Thanks in advance for all your cooperation x)

Only issue from now: Macbook internal monitor not working. (probably config in optimus)

Future tip for users: Don't do the first setup with an 4K monitor or a DVI-VGA adapter monitor, try a real DVI cable or displayport.

---- Mac OS X

The system detects the Sonnet but no nVidia Graphics found, only Iris Pro. I will still do all of the configs, but from now I need to go to work x)

Your welcome! And thanks for the 4k inside :)

Is the Iris Graphic installed in Windows, can you check that? Or maybe you just made the display dark with the Mac Keyboard?

OSX:

MBPr 2014 and GTX 970/980 isn't working good right now. I wasn't able to get mine working in OSX as well. :(

Dschijn, I lost myself playing the last 2 days, sorry about the delay...

Well, I already had done the Optimus thing through Mac OS X (copy files from one DMG to the EFI partition), and both nVidia and Intel graphics are installed, but I notice that when I boot to Windows (holding Alt Key), after the windows logo disappear only the external graphics is being used... The Intel card is displayed in Device manager but the internal monitor is not detected and the Intel Control Panel doesn't open =(. For optimus works in Windows, is needed to boot to Windows WITHOUT holding the Alt Key? (I'm asking because Mac OS X doesn't display the windows partition as bootable =(. So the only way that I am booting to windows is holding ALT key.

My plans are to erase the SSD and install everything from the beginning. But I'm waiting for a Windows 10 release =x.

About the Mac OS X, I haven't tried to put the nVidia to work yet, I'm just enjoying Steam for now =)

MBPr 2014 and the GTX980 does work in OSX.

It does not work on the internal screen. It only works on an external monitor. To use the 980 you need to make the external monitor your primary display.

There is a guide on this site to modify the 3 files needed for the Nvidia driver to recognize the 980. Follow it and it should work like a champ.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I have erased the whole SSD and tried to install again everything (Mac OS X first, then Windows 8.1, and then eGPU on windows).

-- Windows Stuff:

This time no external monitor was capable of displaying (tried a lot of random reboots with monitor plugged in the eGPU, plugged through the thunderbolt -> Vga adapter), so I have used Remote Desktop Connection in my iPad to connect and install nVidia Driver.

Now I installed properly the Optimus settings (after the nVidia Driver is working), but still, no internal monitor found, and the Intel Settings can't be opened.

Ps.: If I plug a monitor into a Thunderbolt -> VGA adapter, the intel settings can be opened, but the internal display is not displayed in any settings found. =(

I also have changed the PhysX settings to eGPU and some regedits (tips found in forum) but nothing still.. Anyone have a clue about what is happening?

-- Mac OS X:

tusctodd, is the internal monitor working (not processing the eGPU, I just want it to display the stuff, because usually the Mac OS X will be used for programming.

-- Specs:

15" MacBook Pro Retina mid-2014, i7 2.2Ghz, 16gb 1600mhz, 256gb ssd.

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 (First installed)

Windows 8.1 Professional (updated until today, 2015-02-18).

Partitions found: EFI, Mac OS X, Mac Recovery, Windows (100Gb)

By the way, I noticed before erasing everything that if I let the computer sleep, it is not "able" to come back, it's like it had a BSoD and rebotted, I don't know now, but I have disabled the sleep while plugged in anyways.

Thanks for the help guys.

--- Edited:

Guys, after getting really frustrated, I powered off the macbook and tried to turn on, and after a few seconds (close to while the grub is being displayed) I plugged in the eGPU in the thunderbolt, now everything is working. =x

Now I am thinking if I should turn off and on to test or remain like this until I move back to Brazil (May 5th)... x)

Hello,

Yes. Both displays will work. What I noticed was that if the internal display was the primary display, it used the laptop video for both screens. If the external monitor was the primary display, then the Nvidia card was used for both screens.

I used the external monitor as the primary and the laptop as an extended screen. Worked flawlessly.

I primarily use my setup for gaming, OSX and Windows. One benefit I never realized was how cool the laptop remains during extended gaming sessions.

Good luck!

One thing I forgot to mention is in Windows, the loss of control of the brightness for the laptop screen. I tried the sleep method, close the lid and reopen, but every time Windows would blue screen on me.

I found a utility called SBright. It allows me to turn off the display without the laptop going to sleep. Touch a key or the trackpad and the internal diplay turns on again. Then the brightness controls work again. It isn't perfect but it works.

• 1 month later...
  • Tech Inferno Fan changed the title to 2014 15" MBP Iris + GTX980@16Gbps-TB2 (Sonnet III-D) + Win8.1 [MrHaPPyPiLLs]