Alienware M14x starting to lag after gaming

hey guys, it's me again, just noticed this yesterday. my laptop is starting to lag o.o lag as in the animation such as minimizing, maximizing, right clicking, you can feel the lag =/ even moving the mouse, you'll feel it's sluggish.. any idea where the problem might be at?

1. Check active processes. (right click, start task manager, choose performance tab, click resource monitor).

2. Select cpu and sort by cpu and then threads. See if anything looks strange.

3. Then choose memory tab. Do the same, sort by memory allocated.

In truth, slowdowns are not always easy to diagnose. Here are some other things to think about...

1. Have you installed any software, apps or games recently? If so can you un-install them and see if it does the same thing (slowdowns?)

2. Try changing windows from (best appearance to best performance) and see if it does the same thing.

3. Boot into safe mode, and see if it does the same thing.

the challenge like all issues is narrowing down root cause.

Things that cause slowdowns are...

1. Malicious apps (virus, spyware, etc...)

2. Drivers (bad ones or improperly installed ones)

3. Incompatible software

4. Changes to operating system (settings, etc...) Check startup now that I think about it.

5. Drive may need to be defragged.

These are just off the top of my head.

Keep us posted.

Stevenx

I found the source of the 'lag' xD it's the refresh rate of the screen, was poking around the nvidia control panel and came across the screen resolution page and saw the refresh rate was at 40Hz. Any idea what games might automatically changed that? o.O I have, AC, AC:BH, Black Ops, GTA IV and NBA 2K11 for now if that helps =/

EDIT: forgot to mention that once I change it back to 60Hz, the 'lag' feeling is gone

• 3 months later...

my alienware have the same problem.... when i plug-in battery my games don't have any lag... and when i unplug the battery it's became lag... this just happend after 3weeks after i played the same game and no problem before this,.... any solution??? thx.. and sorry for bad english....

The m14x downclocks when you go on battery because the battery capacity isnt high enough to run the i7 + 555M at full load. So, in short, you need to be plugged in to play games.

This could be solved by a vbios flash setting the low power clocks above their stock values but lower than max plugged in clocks... so to make battery gaming better but not beyond limits of the power supplied from the battery. A fellow M14x owner can extract their vbios... modify the values and save the new vbios... upload it here for everyone with the same gpu...etc. Or you could do it. I use RBE Editor for my ATi cards. Steven has some nice posts on gaming on battery especially good stuff about cpu...